Religion makes unwanted entry in wedding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Religion makes unwanted entry in wedding
My husband and I recently got married and I'm feeling very annoyed by several things that occurred against our wishes at our event. First off we went to a district magistrate in pa for the "ceremony" and unknowingly got the most religious magistrate ever, he seriously sounded like a Preacher. God this god that blah blah god god god . . . I started laughing because I didn't know what else to do. I was so uncomfortable and the god talk made it so meaningless for me. But I put a smile on my face and suffered though it assured in the knowledge that we were only doing this for our parents because we are going to Vegas in 3
Days and doing our "real" ceremony there without them. But after the magistrate we had a reception and although it generally went well the one thing I asked not to happen did. I specifically told my parents that their brother in law was not to do any speeches or blessings. He didt even ask us if it was ok though he just went and took the microphone from the dj and did it! So again blah blah god god god god god. My husband and I were so uncomfortable and my man of honor was ready to drag this guy away, but I put a smile on my face got us some drinks and suffered thru it yet again so we could have a good night and not have drama. I haven't even told my family how pissed I am because they would even get it but I feel so disrespected its not even funny. I dont know if i should tell them anyways. In 3 days we will be in Vegas with a small group of close friends to have a ceremony and hopefully a religious free event but I'm paranoid that somehow everybody's favorite imaginary friend god will find his way into our event and I'd really like to remember our wedding with all good feelings . . .
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Religion makes unwanted entry in wedding
Sorry to hear that. I would let your friends going to Vegas know how you felt about it so they won't inadvertantly do something similar. It's your wedding it should go your way Smile

As far as telling the family, you need to figure out how much grief it'll cause you.

Congratulations!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-08-2013, 11:30 AM
RE: Religion makes unwanted entry in wedding
Sorry to hear all of that BS. I wouldn't have had that go on at my wedding. Seriously, a fight would've broken out. The magistrate woud've gotten an earfull and I woud've cancelled the ceremony if he didn't want to cooperate. That bro-in-law would've been asked to leave.

Just one more display of how religion poisons everything.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel