Religion or God or Man????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
RE: Religion or God or Man????
I used to be a conspiracy nut before I became a skeptic and eventually an atheist.
When I was completely convinced someone was plotting the world to be destroyed tomorrow I accepted almost everything regardless of how little evidence there was to support it , I'd even accept contradicting conspiracies just because they had that appeal of secrecy and "evil".
I have been a skeptic for about 2-3 years now. I can't fall back on that mindset. Although I may be naive and not always verify facts at times , believing something as grandiose as religion or a conspiracy is out of the question, well at least without a mountain of evidence.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Religion honestly causes people to be clouded. They're not thinking straight. Heh.. sound familiar? That is what they say about "us." I think they're full of shit and I think their religion is full of shit.
Please, do what makes your happy.

Before you see the light, you must die!
Through the fear you're sold into the fraud
It's my obsession, to treat (g)od like an infection
16-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Wanna see something really crazy come by my house when I'm going on about my Gwynnies. Big Grin

It seems that the way to trump insanity is with a greater form of insanity - and you will not convince me that religion is not a form of insanity.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Your story reminds me of a friend of mine. She lost her 5 year old kid to cancer. You now what her mom said?

She said that my friend's child died because god was punishing my friend for going to Vegas and gambling.

Just imagine your own mom sayin something like that when her grand child dies. It is incomprehensible to me.

My friend is still religious too. It has been some 10 years since this happened, and to this day my friend struggles with the loss and the comment. She recently turned down a free trip to Vegas, even though she loves the place. I think this will torture her for life....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-04-2012, 06:14 AM
Going to church allows the religious to be clothed in the "normalness" of their religion, as well as to allow the religion to take up a big segment of their life. When a religious person doesn't go to church for a long time they can make the surprising discovery that when religion isn't a big part of their life... nothing happens. When religion diminishes as part of someone's life they can become free to think their own thoughts rather than echo those acceptable to their religious community. They no longer have to censor themselves.
When I was religious I thought that being part of a church kept me honest, honestly seeking for God. Having been fairly separate from my church I started seeking far more honestly and eventually concluded my search should go in other directions. In the end, people go to church to be brainwashed and go to church because they are brainwashed. So much is invested in the religion that they can't simply let go. It's less costly to cling to what they know than to invest in an independent process of discovery.
Religious people need an internal motivation to even start to question their conditioning, and separation from further brainwashing helps in any ongoing process of separation from one's faith.