Religion's Death Throes...*

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2017, 10:10 AM
RE: Religion's Death Throes...*
Quote:Totally agree with the thrust of these comments about the insidious and divisive nature of Islam and its adherents. The local Muslim population—whatever Western country they choose to reside in—will demand all sorts of exemptions from the laws of their adopted land, and will cause major ructions, and accuse the local, non-Muslim population of racism and/or religious oppression, and personal vilification if they don't get their way.

We've already had a few serious examples of this behaviour in Australia. Muslim women refusing to remove their niqabs when driving motor vehicles, having license photographs taken, or entering banks, post offices, and other government offices. We've also had issues with these people demanding to build huge mosques in suburban locations, immediately adjacent to existing houses. And this of course raises the issue of noise pollution—with "calls to prayer" being broadcast at 6AM every day at untenable levels and in breach of local environmental noise protection standards. But they don't care, and it usually ends up in court.

Muslims consistently refuse to assimilate smoothly into a—particularly—secular society such as is now predominant in Australia. And their spokespeople invariably speak on TV and other media in a very vociferous and often confrontational way that's totally at odds with the average Aussies laid-back style and (normally) tolerant attitude.

Last month, we had the case of a mouthy young Sudanese, migrant Muslim woman indirectly insulting the population on one of our most revered national days, ANZAC day—by posting an offensive personal political statement on her Facebook page, and which she was later forced to delete and apologise for. It'd be like a Muslim migrant in America bitching about the treatment of native Americans on the 4th of July or Thanksgiving. It's just not the time nor the place to air extremist political views.

You may be surprised though by the degree of tolerance shown by some members of this forum—despite Islam possibly being the most oppressive, brutal and dictatorial of all religions. I posted some negative comments about Muslim women having the official right to wear the hijab on basketball courts, along with full leg and arm coverings, and was surprised at the number of comments censuring me for my opposition to this. Atheists can be a funny bunch sometimes.

I'm actually surprised by the degree of tolerance for this behaviour from the left side at all. I work in the media here in Canada, and knowing what I know about the violent, misanthropic nature of the religion it's truly baffling how it has garnered anything resembling esteem. Any protests where the protesters want nothing but death for those who criticize their religion, just shows how this belief system has no place within any advanced civilization, from a basic, humanistic perspective. I like to think I'm moderate in my political views, but I do find pandering to a dangerous ideology for the sake of being politically correct incredibly puzzling. If an ideology consistently produces bad outcomes wherever it's implemented, it shouldn't be implemented anymore.

Quote:> Great post, though. :thumbs:

Thanks Gwaithmir. Smile

Quote:I can't bring myself to believe religion is on its way out. People are becoming less educated and more gullible with the rise of the internet. I think religious and magical thinking will get stronger, at least in the US. We're so dumb, and a scary portion is damn proud to be that way. Look at Trump supporters. They're being lied to their face and are loving it. The GOP has propaganda a mis-information down to a science and any attempt at reasoning is falls on intentionally deaf ears. I doubt the next elect will change things much. Maybe I'm just old and crotchety.

Lol yeah there is a lot of ridiculous nonsense that people are buying nowadays. The internet has allowed for this new breed of stupidity where what the educated think is irrelevant. I hope my generation isn't defined by that though.

Quote:I'm old and crotchety myself, and I am sitting in a lawn chair on your lawn, wearing colorful clothes and puffing on a doobie. I'm watching the current youth and seeing lots of teenage atheists at odds with their parents.... I remain positive.

My parents don't know I'm atheist yet. Confused If they find out I'll never hear the end of it.

Quote:All the ones who came before the current especially poisonous batch went away, and so may (and will) this.

Also, being European, where atheism (especially among young people) is pretty much the norm - yeah, it's not its way out. The gaps god's still trying to hide in are becoming ever smaller and soon even the most desperate will not be able to fit him in such a tiny crack.

I feel like atheism is kinda standard in Canada too. Our school system is hugely secular, and we don't have a bible belt, but I'm not sure.

I think God's last hiding place will only be in philosophical thought. God as a concept or idea for how the big bang happened. I can't really see him hiding anywhere else.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post
11-05-2017, 10:11 AM
(11-05-2017 12:08 AM)SYZ Wrote:  ---
-- It'd be like a Muslim migrant in America bitching about the treatment of native Americans on the 4th of July or Thanksgiving. It's just not the time nor the place to air extremist political views.

^^This^^ gave me a chuckle. Shy

Uh ... Blush actually ... in the US, our so-called traditional, "American family gatherings", such as the July 4th Independence Day & Thanksgiving ... are also traditionally notorious for sparking extreme mayhem.

Yep, and very often it is due to some religious and/or political family squabble getting out of hand. Then, before anyone can even think about phoning the police, someone breaks out the weaponry and neighbors scatter.

I know of few other places on earth where someone can just say a few words to a best buddy or cousin and minutes later an unrelated, innocent bystander can get shot in the face.

Yep, we probably should be getting our shit together. Dodgy Laughat

Oh well, In God We Trust ... our money tells us so. Angel

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Oops
Duplicate post

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:Uh ... Blush actually ... in the US, our so-called traditional, "American family gatherings", such as the July 4th Independence Day & Thanksgiving ... are also traditionally notorious for sparking extreme mayhem.

Yep, and very often it is due to some religious and/or political family squabble getting out of hand. Then, before anyone can even think about phoning the police, someone breaks out the weaponry and neighbors scatter.

Come to Canada! We wear plaid, and eat poutine... drink beer and watch hockey!... ... and if you wanna kill someone in Canada, you generally have to stab the bastard, which means you're likely a twisted asshole in the first place.

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 2 users Like Cosmo's post
11-05-2017, 10:38 AM
(11-05-2017 10:10 AM)Cosmo Wrote:  I feel like atheism is kinda standard in Canada too. Our school system is hugely secular, and we don't have a bible belt, but I'm not sure.

Depends where you live.

Parts of BC and Alberta are well-established outposts of whackjob xtian thought.

The number of churches and congregants in places like Abbotsford, Chilliwack (the town, not the band) and southern Alberta (Lethbridge is a good example) fluctuates but tends to be higher than the national average. The area isn't called Texas North by accident.

Then there are cults like the one in/around Bountiful, BC, which was recently investigated in regards to polygamy and child abuse. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...e33995313/
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
11-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Quote:Depends where you live.

Parts of BC and Alberta are well-established outposts of whackjob xtian thought.

The number of churches and congregants in places like Abbotsford, Chilliwack (the town, not the band) and southern Alberta (Lethbridge is a good example) fluctuates but tends to be higher than the national average. The area isn't called Texas North by accident.

Then there are cults like the one in/around Bountiful, BC, which was recently investigated in regards to polygamy and child abuse. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/brit...e33995313/

I heard that there's a group of religious anti-vaccinators in Southern Alberta, and that diseases that are supposed to be on the brink of extinction are making a return because of them as well. Can't remember which town exactly, but Measles and Mumps and things like that.

So we do kinda have a mini Bible belt going on eh? Look at that. I didn't know that. Got some reading to do. Thanks!

-Neil Degrasse Tyson
~ 0 ~
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmo's post