Religion's Expiration Date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2012, 01:22 PM
RE: Religion's Expiration Date
Religion will never die. Christianity will die, Judaism will die, Islam will die etc... But religion will never die unless humans expire. Which we will. But until that happens religion will persevere.

It's less like spoiled milk and more like a virus. Ideas are viruses. They spread, and the only thing that will stop the spread is to kill the carrier. You can however treat them and get them under control so that they do not wipe out a population.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2012, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 08:00 PM by Ben.)
I think religion will eventually be practiced only by a tiny minority, or maybe nobody.

Yeah, it's like a virus, but it's not quite as viral as one, so I think we have a shot. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
21-02-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 07:37 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-02-2012 01:22 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Religion will never die.

No, but it will be relegated to history, much the same as alchemy, astrology, numerology, palmistry, phrenology, tarot cards and tea leaves, etc. ... Oh, and to whorehouses and brothels fronting as it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-02-2012, 07:51 PM
No we should call it the Allied Atheist Alliance! That way there's three 'A's. It's the only logical choice!
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
24-02-2012, 12:09 AM
You cant hide stupid on the internet...

The most damaging religions will simply burn them selves out or at least burn down to a low smoulder...
24-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Don’t look at it in years, look at it in generations.
Two to three generations time we’ll ether be able to plot a sharper drop in the statistics of religious vs. non or it’ll plateau off as the diehards cling to the past and force their offspring to do the same.

We’ll always have some sort of belief system, it’s just the way we’re wired.
Imagination is a valuable thing but has a down side when coupled with the wrong application.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
24-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks so much guys! It feels great to be able to have some atheists that know their stuff! I know a couple at my school, but I consider them to really be apatheists. Both of them come form Buddhist comes though, so maybe Buddhism is a little light compared to the Abrahamic ones.

I think that maybe in several decades, the number of atheists will rise to become a very significant minority or even a majority, with breakthroughs in science fueling people to consider the atheist side. There will probably be a last-stand type of conflict with religious people around the world, especially with the Christians I see in America (no offense to Christians, just the nutjobs Big Grin), trying to conserve the religion. I see the current religions surviving, barely, into the next century.

Of course, I'm 15, and I'm making predictions 80+ years from now. What do I know?

A better question might be: What is the approximate lifespan of the current major religions, specifically Christianity and Islam, relative to relevance in the world? How much longer do these religions have, before they become basically irrelevant to our lives? Not all religion, but these two major ones.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned" - Anonymous
I am glad to live where there is no God, for I am moral, and mortal; I do not wish to worship He who crafts an immoral immortality.
[+] 2 users Like nsguy1350's post
24-02-2012, 06:07 PM
(24-02-2012 05:35 PM)nsguy1350 Wrote:  Of course, I'm 15, and I'm making predictions 80+ years from now. What do I know?

Apparently enough to ask. Smile

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
24-02-2012, 07:28 PM
It seems as though there is the belief that total atheism is inevitable. I would disagree for several reasons.

1) obviously because I think were right but that's not important.
2) As long as there is poverty people will want to believe there is something better since they can't achieve it in this world.
3) as long as there is unrest. there will often be a change in the attitudes of the people. the Muslim world used to be more secular now look at it after several failings they switched to theocracies. you see the same thing in politics Liberals run a country into the ground even if its not there fault, people will vote conservative.

the world wide recession could lead to a growth of religion in some countries and a fall in others. I don't think that the presidential candidates have been this socially conservative in any recent history.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-02-2012, 07:39 PM
(24-02-2012 03:52 PM)Karl Wrote:  Don’t look at it in years, look at it in generations.
Two to three generations time we’ll ether be able to plot a sharper drop in the statistics of religious vs. non or it’ll plateau off as the diehards cling to the past and force their offspring to do the same.

We’ll always have some sort of belief system, it’s just the way we’re wired.
Imagination is a valuable thing but has a down side when coupled with the wrong application.

In my old True Believer days of yore, it was a popular warning to say, "Christianity is one generation away from dying off, so make sure you are a good Christian and brainwash your children so they'll carry the delusion on into future generations."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post