Religion's Expiration Date

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 08:06 PM
RE: Religion's Expiration Date
I think it will differ depending on the location. In the UK, religion might "expire" relatively quickly. Whereas in America, religion will take a much longer time to "expire." I hope that it "expires" early, but than I would be getting my hopes up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Scott D's post
24-02-2012, 09:09 PM
(24-02-2012 07:28 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  It seems as though there is the belief that total atheism is inevitable. I would disagree for several reasons.

1) obviously because I think were right but that's not important.
2) As long as there is poverty people will want to believe there is something better since they can't achieve it in this world.
3) as long as there is unrest. there will often be a change in the attitudes of the people. the Muslim world used to be more secular now look at it after several failings they switched to theocracies. you see the same thing in politics Liberals run a country into the ground even if its not there fault, people will vote conservative.

I don't think any of your reasons is the biggest reason. Religion will never die because people are frightened wishful thinkers who want to believe that they are special, part of something bigger, and know things everyone else doesn't. Poverty and unrest don't make the nut (oh...mm...no offense) -- need to be accepted by the powerful group does. And unfortunately, "think for your damn self!" will never be a rally cry.

(24-02-2012 07:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In my old True Believer days of yore, it was a popular warning to say, "Christianity is one generation away from dying off, so make sure you are a good Christian and brainwash your children so they'll carry the delusion on into future generations."

Eugh...I used to think that made sense. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
24-02-2012, 10:32 PM
(24-02-2012 07:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 03:52 PM)Karl Wrote:  Don’t look at it in years, look at it in generations.
Two to three generations time we’ll ether be able to plot a sharper drop in the statistics of religious vs. non or it’ll plateau off as the diehards cling to the past and force their offspring to do the same.

We’ll always have some sort of belief system, it’s just the way we’re wired.
Imagination is a valuable thing but has a down side when coupled with the wrong application.

In my old True Believer days of yore, it was a popular warning to say, "Christianity is one generation away from dying off, so make sure you are a good Christian and brainwash your children so they'll carry the delusion on into future generations."

So it's all your fault then, is it?
24-02-2012, 10:34 PM
(24-02-2012 10:32 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 07:39 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 03:52 PM)Karl Wrote:  Don’t look at it in years, look at it in generations.
Two to three generations time we’ll ether be able to plot a sharper drop in the statistics of religious vs. non or it’ll plateau off as the diehards cling to the past and force their offspring to do the same.

We’ll always have some sort of belief system, it’s just the way we’re wired.
Imagination is a valuable thing but has a down side when coupled with the wrong application.

In my old True Believer days of yore, it was a popular warning to say, "Christianity is one generation away from dying off, so make sure you are a good Christian and brainwash your children so they'll carry the delusion on into future generations."

So it's all your fault then, is it?

Yes. Plus I've sired no progeny to spread the lies of the Christy-s.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-02-2012, 10:45 PM
People respond to incentives:
Financial
Moral
Social
+ on a lower Maslow level, the incentive to survive.

If religions can be seen to be immoral (that battle is being won e.g. paedo-priests), detrimental to society (that battle is being lost because secular society is not promoting its institutions in the same way as does the church hence TV reports "local pastor arranging help for trauma victims of train crash" not "ambulance and fire services and trauma councillors on hand to care for victim's spiritual needs") and the big one... seen as financial pariahs (big churches, tithes etc,... dunno if that can happen unless we catch the pope with his hand in the till (instead of in a choir boy's arse)).... deep breath in mid-rant .... then the sheep will leave the fold.

Here endeth the lesson
24-02-2012, 10:45 PM
(24-02-2012 10:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Yes. Plus I've sired no progeny to spread the lies of the Christy-s.

Hmmm… We’ll have to call it even then.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Karl's post