Religion's Utility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2015, 10:33 AM
Religion's Utility
It does something for some people. But what, if anything, does it do for someone that cannot be done without religion - i.e. what's religion doing for you that ONLY religion can do for you?

Second, whatever it is, can you live without it - i.e. what is missing from the secularist's life that the secularist doesn't seem to miss, that the religious can't live without?

We're all human beings; we all need basic biologic replenishment; religion is purely an artifact of mind. Minds differ, obviously, but is there really a class of sane mind that can't cope without what other minds easily do without?

Or is whatever religion confers vital, but the secularist obtains it elsewhere?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2015, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 11:05 AM by Cosmic Discourse.)
RE: Religion's Utility
Religion doesn't offer anything uniquely its own, it merely piggybacks off the innate desire to belong to something (sense of community). It also pacifies those who don't wanna explore the presently unknown.

All of the things you'll find people saying religion excels at (morality, purpose, community, understanding, etc), can be found in a secular venue with far greater ties to reality, reason, logic and critical thinking.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
21-06-2015, 11:17 AM
It's just an encompassing coping mechanism that has been greatly manipulated for so long that it has dug itself into the psyche of a large portion of the population and we are just reaching an era where greater masses are tossing aside its bondage. It serves no purpose that can't be removed or replaced.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
21-06-2015, 03:46 PM
For the ordinary person, I don't think religion does anything unique.
However, for a person who wants to exert power over a group, religion is an incredibly useful and powerful tool. Much more useful than political or philosophical ideology without a religious overlay. So religion is particularly, and maybe uniquely, beneficial to megalomaniacs.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
21-06-2015, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 05:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
I know several people who rely on religion to stay sober. As far as I'm concerned that's a proper and legitimate use. My only objection is that sobriety is vastly overrated. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Religion's Utility
(21-06-2015 05:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I know several people who rely on religion to stay sober. As far as I'm concerned that's a proper and legitimate use. My only objection is that sobriety is vastly overrated. Drinking Beverage

Trading an alcohol addiction for a mental disease isn't a very good deal.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
21-06-2015, 06:26 PM
(21-06-2015 06:22 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 05:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I know several people who rely on religion to stay sober. As far as I'm concerned that's a proper and legitimate use. My only objection is that sobriety is vastly overrated. Drinking Beverage

Trading an alcohol addiction for a mental disease isn't a very good deal.

You speak from experience? ... If not shut the fuck up.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Death is scary. And the fact that we live in a staggeringly large universe that is completely indifferent to our existence is frightening. We fear our own death. We fear the vastness of the universe. We fear the ultimate meaninglessness of our lives to the general universe.

Religion helps people cope with it. It scales back the universe and allows people to evade the inevitability of death.
[+] 5 users Like natachan's post
21-06-2015, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 09:13 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-06-2015 08:47 PM)natachan Wrote:  Death is scary. And the fact that we live in a staggeringly large universe that is completely indifferent to our existence is frightening. We fear our own death. We fear the vastness of the universe. We fear the ultimate meaninglessness of our lives to the general universe.

Religion helps people cope with it. It scales back the universe and allows people to evade the inevitability of death.

^She's got it. ... Task at hand is not to fear it but rather to embrace and celebrate it.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Religion's Utility
(21-06-2015 06:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 06:22 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Trading an alcohol addiction for a mental disease isn't a very good deal.

You speak from experience? ... If not shut the fuck up.

Eat a dick.