Religion's influence in other countries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2015 01:03 PM by Cathy.)
Religion's influence in other countries
I don't know why I'm writing this here, but I will anyway.
First thing first: I will write about the situation in an eastern European country called Romania. Here, 86.5% of the population is eastern orthodox, followed by 4.6% catholics, and then other religions. Also, by law, this country is supposed to be a secular state.
Now to the issue: Last weekend, on the night of halloween, there was a fire at a nightclub where a rock concert was held, and so far (30+ victims, and 146+ injured/burned). The reaction from the people were pretty diverse: some want on about how they brought it on themselves because of the music they were listening, celebrating halloween (i can send links to articles, but they're in romanian), while others helped anyway they could, like bringing out the victims from the fire or donating blood later. This tragedy also showed the indirect consequences of unchecked religious "freedom" and indoctrination. In a capital with 3 million people, all the hospitals were stretched to their limit by aproximatley 140 injured people, anymore people and they would have waited in the street. How is this influenced by religion you ask? Well it's like this: For years now, the christian church has received more funding from the state, to build churches and pay the priests salaries (on top of tax exemption), than the ministry of health, so you end up with cathedrals that look like this
[Image: catedrala_mantuirii_neamului_66282400.jpg]

and hospitals that look like this
[Image: spital-mizerabil-adevarul.ro_.jpg]
Meanwhile, doctors and teachers have some of the lowest wages, while priest walk in gold-clad robes in luxurious cars.
Oh, did I mention that here, religion is taught in public schools from the 1st grade until you graduate highschool, every year. Only recently has been made an option to fill a form that exempts you from religion classes, that came too late for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cathy's post
04-11-2015, 08:39 AM
RE: Religion's influence in other countries
Welcome to TTA, Cathy.

Thanks for sharing that. Interesting and depressing.

Is there a backlash against the churches about this?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-11-2015, 08:47 AM
As far as the remarks from religious people on tragic situations like this, it seems like everywhere its the same. For example, late 1999 the earthquake that killed nearly 30,000 people in my country. You would constantly hear from religious groups how Allah punished us because we have lost our ways. one of the dumbest example they would show was, how 600 years old mosque was still standing while new buildings had collapsed until later inspections showed that while these building were build the construction companies cheated on materials and the inspectors took bribes to allow these buildings to be build even though they were far from meeting the safety standards. Eastern Europe like in your country and mine has always been dominated by corrupt politicians. Unfortunately this is nothing new to us. My thoughts go out to those who have lost their lives...

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
04-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Welcome Cathy. You give yet another example of something that would make atheists angry and again not for anything done against us personally. It is despicable that hospitals look like that while money is spent on churches and priests in a supposed secular country.
04-11-2015, 10:03 AM
(04-11-2015 06:55 AM)Cathy Wrote:  Meanwhile, doctors and teachers have some of the lowest wages, while priest walk in gold-clad robes in luxurious cars.
Oh, did I mention that here, religion is taught in public from the 1st grade until you graduate highschool, every year. Only recently has been made an option to fill a form that exempts you from religion classes, that came too late for me.

It sounds like it is time for another revolution. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-11-2015, 10:14 AM
(04-11-2015 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA, Cathy.

(04-11-2015 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 06:55 AM)Cathy Wrote:  Meanwhile, doctors and teachers have some of the lowest wages, while priest walk in gold-clad robes in luxurious cars.
Oh, did I mention that here, religion is taught in public from the 1st grade until you graduate highschool, every year. Only recently has been made an option to fill a form that exempts you from religion classes, that came too late for me.

It sounds like it is time for another revolution. Drinking Beverage

Very few can dare to revolt against the house of god. It is the lack of education, only thing most people know is what they've heard from their leaders. The good news is the new generation and the alternative knowledge available freely due to spread of internet is changing all that very fast. Their days are numbered as more people are exposed to the truth and not limited to government controlled media.

1 Like = 1 Prayer
[+] 1 user Likes izel's post
04-11-2015, 10:43 AM
(04-11-2015 10:14 AM)izel Wrote:  

(04-11-2015 10:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  It sounds like it is time for another revolution. Drinking Beverage

Very few can dare to revolt against the house of god. It is the lack of education, only thing most people know is what they've heard from their leaders. The good news is the new generation and the alternative knowledge available freely due to spread of internet is changing all that very fast. Their days are numbered as more people are exposed to the truth and not limited to government controlled media.

You got rid of Nicolae Ceaușescu and his cronies. Just do it again. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Wink RE: Religion's influence in other countries

Thanks for the welcome Smile
As for the backlash, it's a bit more complex. There has been a lot of protests last night, because this event also showed everyone how deep corruption runs in our country. That club, like so many others, did not meet safety requirements, but, like so many other clubs, was allowed to run because the owner bribed the right people. The fire started because of a spark from the final firework that came in contact with the sound-proofing material on the wall/ceiling which was inflammable (which is cheaper than fire-proof one), but shouldn't have been according to law. So that is what got most people out on the streets last night: the realization that their lives and safety are completely disregarded. On the slightly bright side, there has been an increase in criticizing the situation that I mentioned, as well. The fact that everyone (from the medical personnel to regular people on the street) but priests actually seemed to help or show sympathy was also a bit of a wake-up call. Unfortunately, we are still very few that dare go against the church.
[+] 2 users Like Cathy's post
04-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Holy shit that's an amazing looking church. They should turn it into a hospital Thumbsup

I thought Christians weren't supposed to go after material wealth Undecided

Sorry that your politicians and priests are both powerful and stupid Sad Unfortunately that situation is hardly unique Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.