Religion serves a useful survival purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 04:28 PM by Mozart Link.)
Religion serves a useful survival purpose
For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mozart Link's post
18-08-2014, 04:12 PM
RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
Fuck off.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-08-2014, 04:14 PM
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place?

I usually avoid engaging your threads, but I will this once;

I used to just ignore religion as it has no meaning to me, but then again, as I have stated before I can no longer just look the other way. You have to study the effects of religion, and most major religions to be able to identify the bad emotional impacts subjugation causes. Also on the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-08-2014, 04:14 PM
(18-08-2014 04:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck off.
Unlike many of my other posts and topics which are just considered nonsense, this is actually a good scientific question and I don't see why it should be considered nonsense or trollish content.
[+] 1 user Likes Mozart Link's post
18-08-2014, 04:16 PM
(18-08-2014 04:14 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
Unlike many of my other posts and topics which are just considered nonsense, this is actually a good scientific question and I don't see why it should be considered nonsense or trollish content.

Off is the direction I wish you to fuck.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-08-2014, 04:18 PM

So you recognize that, "Unlike many of my other posts and topics which are just considered nonsense" then why do you post them.....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
18-08-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2014 04:56 PM by GirlyMan.)

Okay first you need to just stop using the word "scientific" because you have no fucking clue what it means and it's starting to piss off the scientists here. Second, it is a good question "Can religion serve a useful survival purpose?" Third, your answer to the question immediately reminds me once again to not get deceived by your occasional insight, it is purely accidental because you are an ignorant idiot. Pleasure don't have dick to do with survival.

I do see at least a couple situations where religion can serve a useful purpose. If it is consciously used to maintain sobriety or sanity for example. If you need the metaphysical structure provided by religion to keep you sober or you need to believe in Gwyneth Paltrow to maintain your last bit of sanity that's serving a useful purpose. The trick is to realize it's just a useful delusion and not lose sight of that.

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-08-2014, 04:46 PM
(18-08-2014 04:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:14 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Unlike many of my other posts and topics which are just considered nonsense, this is actually a good scientific question and I don't see why it should be considered nonsense or trollish content.

Okay first you need to just stop using the word "scientific" because you have no fucking clue what it means and it's starting to piss off the scientists here. Second, it is a good question "Can religion serve a useful survival purpose?" Third, your answer to the question immediately reminds me once again to not get deceived by your occasional insight, it is purely accidental because you are an ignorant idiot. Pleasure don't have dick to do with survival.

I do see at least a couple situations where religion can serve a useful purpose. If it is consciously used to maintain sobriety or sanity for example. If you need the structure provided by religion to keep you sober or you need to believe in Gwyneth Paltrow to maintain your last bit of sanity that's serving a useful purpose. The trick is to realize it's just a useful delusion and not lose sight of that.
Pleasure is what encourages us as human species to survive. This is a scientific fact. If there are means of achieving pleasure that don't serve as a survival mechanism, then, again, why would we even receive pleasure from such things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.
18-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load
18-08-2014, 04:51 PM
(18-08-2014 04:46 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Pleasure is what encourages us as human species to survive. This is a scientific fact. If there are means of achieving pleasure that don't serve as a survival mechanism, then, again, why would we even receive pleasure from such things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

All right, now you're just dicking with me 'cause nobody can be this fucking stupid.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post