Religion serves a useful survival purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(18-08-2014 04:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck off.

Well said sir, well said.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-08-2014, 05:08 PM
I think religion as the earliest form of state served a useful purpose, but I think it has been superseded. I doubt religion has a significant useful purpose when strong states exist and I doubt religion is a required component of a strong state.

As to whether evolution selected for religiosity, I doubt that also. I think religiosity is likely the product of several psychological features that were selected for rather than being something that was selected for in its own right. That said there may have been selective pressure towards religiosity in those early states.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
18-08-2014, 05:17 PM
(18-08-2014 05:08 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think religion as the earliest form of state served a useful purpose, but I think it has been superseded. I doubt religion has a significant useful purpose when strong states exist and I doubt religion is a required component of a strong state.

As to whether evolution selected for religiosity, I doubt that also. I think religiosity is likely the product of several psychological features that were selected for rather than being something that was selected for in its own right. That said there may have been selective pressure towards religiosity in those early states.

Yeah, it's probably a by-product of the ability to cooperate in groups -an unfortunate by-product!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-08-2014, 05:19 PM
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

If pleasure is a precursor to evolution, as opposed to misery, shrinking up, atrophy,negativity, and other debilitating states it is hard to see how religion helps.
While there may be some 'hope' in religion's future worlds, there is also the threats of eternal torture, misery, separation from god, and other nasties, hardly survival oriented.
18-08-2014, 05:29 PM
(18-08-2014 05:19 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

If pleasure is a precursor to evolution, as opposed to misery, shrinking up, atrophy,negativity, and other debilitating states it is hard to see how religion helps.
While there may be some 'hope' in religion's future worlds, there is also the threats of eternal torture, misery, separation from god, and other nasties, hardly survival oriented.
One reason would be the perception of reward. Those who perceive a non-existent reward such as an afterlife of eternal joy would be likely to receive more pleasure in this one and only life and be more motivated in getting things done and such in pursuit of this imaginary reward.

Then there are other forms of pleasure that are not so obvious such as those experienced in dreams or from getting high off of drugs. They could be feelings of pleasure involving some bizarre things and are bizarre feelings of pleasure that could be considered frightening or disturbing to the individual such as beautiful feelings of pleasure from nature that don't feel normal. Perhaps these beautiful feelings of pleasure feel psychotic, otherworldly, demented, etc.
18-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Mozart Link was banned from atheistforums.org. Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroClapClapClap
18-08-2014, 05:34 PM
(18-08-2014 05:33 PM)Leo Wrote:  Mozart Link was banned from atheistforums.org. Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroClapClapClap

And now we have him...oh goody. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

18-08-2014, 05:38 PM
(18-08-2014 04:46 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Pleasure is what encourages us as human species to survive. This is a scientific fact. If there are means of achieving pleasure that don't serve as a survival mechanism, then, again, why would we even receive pleasure from such things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

Reference the double-blind study where that was published, or STFU.

And BTW, I dare you to walk up to a Yazzidi, who's family was just massacred by the other religion in Northern Iraq, and repeat your bullshit. In fact the real question here is, why, if it is SO anti-group preservation, why didn't religionists get selected out from those that survived.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/15...83082.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-08-2014, 05:41 PM
(18-08-2014 05:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 05:33 PM)Leo Wrote:  Mozart Link was banned from atheistforums.org. Banana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroBanana_zorroClapClapClap

And now we have him...oh goody. Dodgy

Well. Let's see. Mozart Link is the atheist forums.com troll cage ( the purgatory ) . He was banned from atheist forums.org . His banning from this site will be very sweet.TongueTongue
18-08-2014, 05:48 PM
(18-08-2014 05:41 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 05:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And now we have him...oh goody. Dodgy

Well. Let's see. Mozart Link is the atheist forums.com troll cage ( the purgatory ) . He was banned from atheist forums.org . His banning from this site will be very sweet.TongueTongue

If you haven't noticed, this is where the rejects from other atheist forums are allowed to spew their crap everywhere. It's a rule - no one else wants to put up with your shit - TTA will take you aboard and you will be protected.