Religion serves a useful survival purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 11:40 PM
RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(18-08-2014 10:16 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 09:55 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  So you acknowledge that your OP was wrong then?
Yes, but I do not feel any humiliation or any negative emotion from being wrong. I'm just interested to find out that, for once, I have been proven and convinced that I am wrong. I think this would be because others here have scientifically disproven what I said here in saying that it is not a survival mechanism, but rather something else. But since there is no way you can scientifically disprove hedonism or any personal opinions you have, this is the reason why I still preserve my views on pleasure being the most important thing and that my choice in deciding to risk horrible things to happen to me is well justified. This is not only something I would say, but hedonism itself would say the same thing as well as other people who are hedonists.

You are diminishing my pleasure every time you post.

"Pleasure" is a nervous response to stimuli. Sometimes pleasure is good for reproduction, like how orgasms encourage sex, and sometimes pleasure is bad, like when cats lap up anti freeze. Pleasure and fulfillment are not quite the same thing. Most people seek fulfillment, and you live for the moment. I don't care what you do or why you do it, just shut up about it. You are a very depressed about something and you want the whole world to know. We heard you. Coming in loud and clear. No more threads on the subject will be necessary.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
18-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Re: RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(18-08-2014 10:16 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 09:55 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  So you acknowledge that your OP was wrong then?
Yes, but I do not feel any humiliation or any negative emotion from being wrong. I'm just interested to find out that, for once, I have been proven and convinced that I am wrong. I think this would be because others here have scientifically disproven what I said here in saying that it is not a survival mechanism, but rather something else. But since there is no way you can scientifically disprove hedonism or any personal opinions you have, this is the reason why I still preserve my views on pleasure being the most important thing and that my choice in deciding to risk horrible things to happen to me is well justified. This is not only something I would say, but hedonism itself would say the same thing as well as other people who are hedonists.

That's nice, nobody cares if you do whatever you wish to achieve pleasure.

it's a funny notion you create a dozen threads all about how pleasure is grand though. Is there a purpose to that other than convincing yourself?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2014, 11:49 PM
First off, for once my ass. You have been proven wrong across this forum a good amount by many, my self included. You're delusional though so I don't expect you to concede that. Secondly I'm going to illustrate how your stupid sounds to me.

You: "It's a scientific fact that Dogs are made up of tiny microscopic cats. Therefor dogs are in fact cats."
Me: "Dogs are not made up of tiny cats, they are made up out of atoms. Here are some sources"
You: " I admit that at I am wrong, dogs are not made up out of cats. However dogs are still totally cats because reasons."

This is EXACTLY how you sound, and it's fucking stupid because you can only be doing one of two things.

1.) You are establishing a premise using it to come to a conclusion but you are refusing to adjust your conclusion when your premise is invalidated which results in a fuck you never use the word science again.

2.) You have decided on a conclusion without a justifying premise so you are fabricating them to maintain you desired conclusion which results in a FUCK YOU never use any words ahving to do with science ever again.

It does not matter however which it is cause the answer is the same. Fuck you.
19-08-2014, 12:00 AM
(18-08-2014 11:40 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 10:16 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Yes, but I do not feel any humiliation or any negative emotion from being wrong. I'm just interested to find out that, for once, I have been proven and convinced that I am wrong. I think this would be because others here have scientifically disproven what I said here in saying that it is not a survival mechanism, but rather something else. But since there is no way you can scientifically disprove hedonism or any personal opinions you have, this is the reason why I still preserve my views on pleasure being the most important thing and that my choice in deciding to risk horrible things to happen to me is well justified. This is not only something I would say, but hedonism itself would say the same thing as well as other people who are hedonists.

You are diminishing my pleasure every time you post.

"Pleasure" is a nervous response to stimuli. Sometimes pleasure is good for reproduction, like how orgasms encourage sex, and sometimes pleasure is bad, like when cats lap up anti freeze. Pleasure and fulfillment are not quite the same thing. Most people seek fulfillment, and you live for the moment. I don't care what you do or why you do it, just shut up about it. You are a very depressed about something and you want the whole world to know. We heard you. Coming in loud and clear. No more threads on the subject will be necessary.
If by fulfillment, you mean that there are people who live fulfilling lives without pleasure or that some people are fulfilled sacrificing their pleasure for the sake of gaining knowledge about facts of reality and that this sense of fulfillment is just as good as (or better) than pleasure itself, I would strongly disagree with this.

Also, I will never use any of the knowledge of reality I have from being an atheist. It is all useless to me since I only value pleasure and that I am the type of person who does not care at all about pursuing the world of gaining knowledge of facts of reality and making any good use of these facts whatsoever. If the procedure of a lobotomy still existed (which is a brain procedure that takes away your knowledge and such for the sake of mindless bliss), I would definitely consider it.
19-08-2014, 12:03 AM
(19-08-2014 12:00 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 11:40 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  You are diminishing my pleasure every time you post.

If by fulfillment, you mean that there are people who live fulfilling lives without pleasure or that some people are fulfilled sacrificing their pleasure for the sake of gaining knowledge about facts of reality and that this sense of fulfillment is just as good as (or better) than pleasure itself, I would strongly disagree with this.

Also, I will never use any of the knowledge of reality I have from being an atheist. It is all useless to me since I only value pleasure and that I am the type of person who does not care at all about pursuing the world of gaining knowledge of facts of reality and making any good use of these facts whatsoever. If the procedure of a lobotomy still existed (which is a brain procedure that takes away your knowledge and such for the sake of mindless bliss), I would definitely consider it.

Good for you. You have it all figured out. I totally get where you are coming from. Further comment from you is wholly unnecessary. Best of luck with a lobotomy. Have a nice, er, brain damage.
19-08-2014, 12:09 AM
(19-08-2014 12:00 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  If by fulfillment, you mean that there are people who live fulfilling lives without pleasure or that some people are fulfilled sacrificing their pleasure for the sake of gaining knowledge about facts of reality and that this sense of fulfillment is just as good as (or better) than pleasure itself, I would strongly disagree with this.

Yes, but you are admittedly delusional so that is not an argument.
19-08-2014, 12:22 AM
(19-08-2014 12:09 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:00 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  If by fulfillment, you mean that there are people who live fulfilling lives without pleasure or that some people are fulfilled sacrificing their pleasure for the sake of gaining knowledge about facts of reality and that this sense of fulfillment is just as good as (or better) than pleasure itself, I would strongly disagree with this.

Yes, but you are admittedly delusional so that is not an argument.
I am an emotionally-sensitive human being and not a knowledge-sensitive human being. What I mean by that is that I care and am sensitive when it comes to my pleasure, but do not care and am insensitive when it comes to gaining knowledge about facts of reality and using those facts for any good use whatsoever. So for an emotionally (pleasure) sensitive human being such as myself who pursues expressing feelings (in this case, pleasure) through composing, I am not delusional and what I say about pleasure being the most important thing holds true for me. But for a knowledge-sensitive human being, that would not hold true for them and it would appear to these people (including you) that I am delusional.
19-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Word saaaaaaaaaaalad! Also a load of bullshit with holes big enough to drive a truck through.
19-08-2014, 12:32 AM
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

(18-08-2014 04:14 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:12 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Fuck off.
Unlike many of my other posts and topics which are just considered nonsense, this is actually a good scientific question and I don't see why it should be considered nonsense or trollish content.

(18-08-2014 04:46 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(18-08-2014 04:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay first you need to just stop using the word "scientific" because you have no fucking clue what it means and it's starting to piss off the scientists here. Second, it is a good question "Can religion serve a useful survival purpose?" Third, your answer to the question immediately reminds me once again to not get deceived by your occasional insight, it is purely accidental because you are an ignorant idiot. Pleasure don't have dick to do with survival.

I do see at least a couple situations where religion can serve a useful purpose. If it is consciously used to maintain sobriety or sanity for example. If you need the structure provided by religion to keep you sober or you need to believe in Gwyneth Paltrow to maintain your last bit of sanity that's serving a useful purpose. The trick is to realize it's just a useful delusion and not lose sight of that.
Pleasure is what encourages us as human species to survive. This is a scientific fact. If there are means of achieving pleasure that don't serve as a survival mechanism, then, again, why would we even receive pleasure from such things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

[Image: off-is-the-general-direction-i-wish-you-to-fuck.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-08-2014, 12:36 AM
(19-08-2014 12:27 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Word saaaaaaaaaaalad! Also a load of bullshit with holes big enough to drive a truck through.
So we come to the question as to whether morality is objective or subjective. If it's subjective, then what I said holds true for me. But if it's objective, then we can look at it from an objective point of view and prove for a fact whether I am right or wrong. But in the meantime, what you would call my personal views on pleasure wouldn't be a fact--it would just be how I feel. If there is no way to prove what I feel is wrong, then I have every right to feel the way I do.