Religion serves a useful survival purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 12:14 PM
RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.

People need religion for existential reasons; science deals in reality, religion deals with reality, I find not very effectively. Coming to terms with reality is vital to our sanity, but also vital to understanding; when you exist in a perpetual state of fear or desire you find it very difficult to sustain clarity of thought, so beliefs come into the equation to help you mitigate those fears and desires. This should help you arrive at a state of mind where you can start developing better ways to control those fears and desires so you can think even clearer.

Religion is vital in that sense, because it has allowed some people to find that state of psychological calm. Religion only sucks ass when people are provoked into even higher impulsive states that make their thoughts even more erratic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 01:33 PM
(19-08-2014 11:03 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 10:49 AM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  "I have lots of respect for science when it does not disagree with my baseless assertions."

You have no respect for it at all.
Now let's pretend ..

No lets fucking not, fuck right off.

Your premise has been destroyed and thus your conclusion is invalid. If you would rather be a happy dumb fuck then a happy smart fuck go right ahead, but do it someplace else chucklefuck.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
19-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Heroin... Also gives pleasure.

[Image: large.jpg]

But seriously, I've never found any pleasure in religious activities... Deriving pleasure from religion is pretty subjective, and you didn't explain how it aids in survival.
19-08-2014, 02:17 PM
(18-08-2014 04:08 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  For those of you who think that religion is completely useless, pleasure is something meant for survival. Therefore, if you receive pleasure from delusional fantasies (religion and such), this is obviously a survival mechanism. If it were truly something useless, then why would we even receive pleasure from these things in the first place? Evolution would obviously deem those things as useless and not even encourage us through pleasure to survive through these delusions.
You stated the obvious. Of course it's not useless. If it was useless, no one would follow any religions. It serves as emotional comfort or, in some cases, as lucrative income or a source for children to abuse. Dodgy

But saying it has a purpose in no way excuses it, justifies it, or makes it a good thing worth having around.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
19-08-2014, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 06:22 PM by Mozart Link.)
(19-08-2014 01:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 11:03 AM)Mozart Link Wrote:  Now let's pretend ..

No lets fucking not, fuck right off.

Your premise has been destroyed and thus your conclusion is invalid. If you would rather be a happy dumb fuck then a happy smart fuck go right ahead, but do it someplace else chucklefuck.
You should know by now that by telling me to fuck off and such will have absolutely no effect whatsoever. If you wish to post anything, then you should at least provide those sources and argue against me (just like how I've been arguing against you) with thoughtful and long-winded arguments. Otherwise you are just wasting your time posting replies to me.

(19-08-2014 01:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Heroin... Also gives pleasure.

[Image: large.jpg]

But seriously, I've never found any pleasure in religious activities... Deriving pleasure from religion is pretty subjective, and you didn't explain how it aids in survival.
In reality, nothing has any objective meaning. Since this is the one and only life and that you are just going to forever die in the end, you might as well live your life according to what gives you the greatest pleasure in life (even if that means pleasure from delusional fantasies).

Some atheists do not understand how a belief in an afterlife of eternal joy would bring them more, if any, pleasure whatsoever here in this life. It would be because the pursuit of reward. Any animal that perceives a reward will then have pleasure to pursue it. For some, an afterlife of eternal joy and no suffering is better (a greater reward) than this life of less joy (with perhaps depression) and suffering. So these people would then gain pleasure from this belief and use that pleasure here in this life in getting more things done in life and many other positive things in pursuit of this imaginary reward. This would be who I am if I had religious belief rather than being an atheist.

Imaginary or not, the pleasure obtained from the pursuit of a reward is very important for your own emotional well-being as well as for your survival. And since our purpose in life is to survive, then really all that matters is how you live your life that is best for your emotional well-being. You may die in the end being delusional with the belief of a promised afterlife, but you would have at least died according to what was best for your emotional well-being (survival). If you have ever heard the phrase "survival of the fittest," then you would know that this is how we live which is why, again, living your life according to what is best for your emotional well-being is the most important thing and not deciding to sacrifice your own emotional well-being for the sake of gaining intelligence if such a choice were to ever be given to you in life.
19-08-2014, 08:52 PM
(19-08-2014 03:41 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  You should know by now that by telling me to fuck off and such will have absolutely no effect whatsoever. If you wish to post anything, then you should at least provide those sources and argue against me (just like how I've been arguing against you) with thoughtful and long-winded arguments. Otherwise you are just wasting your time posting replies to me.

Long winded? Yes. Your word salad nonsense is tediously long winded. Thoughtful? Absolutely not.

Your entire argument is that you won't believe anything you don't already want to believe and that that makes you "superior" to other people. I have ZERO interest in arguing against a person who willingly admits they will except no facts that disagree with the preservation of their delusion.

Your premise in the OP was soundly defeated but you refuse to change your conclusion at all and this is a mark of a dishonest person arguing BACKWARDS. Your worthy of only mockery, not "long winded and thoughtful" arguments.

If people throughout history placed "feeling" over "knowledge" like you advocate as superior you would still be dying of your fucking teeth at 26 and shitting in your water supply. You have as much pleasure now as you do because of people like US working around people like YOU.

Fuck off you primitive.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
19-08-2014, 09:12 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 09:16 PM by Mozart Link.)
(19-08-2014 08:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  If people throughout history placed "feeling" over "knowledge" like you advocate as superior you would still be dying of your fucking teeth at 26 and shitting in your water supply. You have as much pleasure now as you do because of people like US working around people like YOU.

Fuck off you primitive.
But if you had to sacrifice your pleasure in the sense that you would live a life of no pleasure at all, then this would be the situation where pleasure has more value than knowledge. But if it meant temporarily sacrificing your pleasure for the sake of physical health or anything else good, then it would be good to do so in this situation.
19-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Hey Mozart Link I have your pic. You are this guy.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-08-2014, 09:55 PM
(19-08-2014 09:12 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 08:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  If people throughout history placed "feeling" over "knowledge" like you advocate as superior you would still be dying of your fucking teeth at 26 and shitting in your water supply. You have as much pleasure now as you do because of people like US working around people like YOU.

Fuck off you primitive.
But if you had to sacrifice your pleasure in the sense that you would live a life of no pleasure at all, then this would be the situation where pleasure has more value than knowledge. But if it meant temporarily sacrificing your pleasure for the sake of physical health or anything else good, then it would be good to do so in this situation.

Give me an example of a life with NO pleasure at all. The fact of the matter is you owe every modern pleasure and privilege you have to the people who take reality for what it is. Your way produces nothing of lasting value. There is a reason mental health experts don't advise delusional thinking.

Once again: your premise has been destroyed and your conclusions need to be readjusted and until you do so your just a dishonest unscientific fuck.
19-08-2014, 10:12 PM
(19-08-2014 09:55 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 09:12 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  But if you had to sacrifice your pleasure in the sense that you would live a life of no pleasure at all, then this would be the situation where pleasure has more value than knowledge. But if it meant temporarily sacrificing your pleasure for the sake of physical health or anything else good, then it would be good to do so in this situation.

Give me an example of a life with NO pleasure at all. The fact of the matter is you owe every modern pleasure and privilege you have to the people who take reality for what it is. Your way produces nothing of lasting value. There is a reason mental health experts don't advise delusional thinking.

Once again: your premise has been destroyed and your conclusions need to be readjusted and until you do so your just a dishonest unscientific fuck.
An example of a life of little to no pleasure would be if you had a mental condition known as anhedonia that is severe and treatment resistant and never gets any better.