Religion serves a useful survival purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Re: RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(19-08-2014 03:41 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  No lets fucking not, fuck right off.

Your premise has been destroyed and thus your conclusion is invalid. If you would rather be a happy dumb fuck then a happy smart fuck go right ahead, but do it someplace else chucklefuck.
You should know by now that by telling me to fuck off and such will have absolutely no effect whatsoever. If you wish to post anything, then you should at least provide those sources and argue against me (just like how I've been arguing against you) with thoughtful and long-winded arguments. Otherwise you are just wasting your time posting replies to me.

(19-08-2014 01:40 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Heroin... Also gives pleasure.

[Image: large.jpg]

But seriously, I've never found any pleasure in religious activities... Deriving pleasure from religion is pretty subjective, and you didn't explain how it aids in survival.
In reality, nothing has any objective meaning. Since this is the one and only life and that you are just going to forever die in the end, you might as well live your life according to what gives you the greatest pleasure in life (even if that means pleasure from delusional fantasies).

Some atheists do not understand how a belief in an afterlife of eternal joy would bring them more, if any, pleasure whatsoever here in this life. It would be because the pursuit of reward. Any animal that perceives a reward will then have pleasure to pursue it. For some, an afterlife of eternal joy and no suffering is better (a greater reward) than this life of less joy (with perhaps depression) and suffering. So these people would then gain pleasure from this belief and use that pleasure here in this life in getting more things done in life and many other positive things in pursuit of this imaginary reward. This would be who I am if I had religious belief rather than being an atheist.

Imaginary or not, the pleasure obtained from the pursuit of a reward is very important for your own emotional well-being as well as for your survival. And since our purpose in life is to survive, then really all that matters is how you live your life that is best for your emotional well-being. You may die in the end being delusional with the belief of a promised afterlife, but you would have at least died according to what was best for your emotional well-being (survival). If you have ever heard the phrase "survival of the fittest," then you would know that this is how we live which is why, again, living your life according to what is best for your emotional well-being is the most important thing and not deciding to sacrifice your own emotional well-being for the sake of gaining intelligence if such a choice were to ever be given to you in life.

What's the basis, you might as well live your life to the greatest pleasure... perhaps to you that's valid. And you've never shown any justification or scientific understanding of yours that makes any of you assertions of this type relevant outside of an opinion.

And why do you keep avoiding responding to question of why you keep creating the same topic focused thread?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 11:10 PM
RE: Religion serves a useful survival purpose
(19-08-2014 10:48 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  And why do you keep avoiding responding to question of why you keep creating the same topic focused thread?

Public (mental) Masturbation... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
19-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Ya it's just what he does.
20-08-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2014 01:33 AM by Mozart Link.)
(19-08-2014 10:48 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 03:41 PM)Mozart Link Wrote:  You should know by now that by telling me to fuck off and such will have absolutely no effect whatsoever. If you wish to post anything, then you should at least provide those sources and argue against me (just like how I've been arguing against you) with thoughtful and long-winded arguments. Otherwise you are just wasting your time posting replies to me.

In reality, nothing has any objective meaning. Since this is the one and only life and that you are just going to forever die in the end, you might as well live your life according to what gives you the greatest pleasure in life (even if that means pleasure from delusional fantasies).

Some atheists do not understand how a belief in an afterlife of eternal joy would bring them more, if any, pleasure whatsoever here in this life. It would be because the pursuit of reward. Any animal that perceives a reward will then have pleasure to pursue it. For some, an afterlife of eternal joy and no suffering is better (a greater reward) than this life of less joy (with perhaps depression) and suffering. So these people would then gain pleasure from this belief and use that pleasure here in this life in getting more things done in life and many other positive things in pursuit of this imaginary reward. This would be who I am if I had religious belief rather than being an atheist.

Imaginary or not, the pleasure obtained from the pursuit of a reward is very important for your own emotional well-being as well as for your survival. And since our purpose in life is to survive, then really all that matters is how you live your life that is best for your emotional well-being. You may die in the end being delusional with the belief of a promised afterlife, but you would have at least died according to what was best for your emotional well-being (survival). If you have ever heard the phrase "survival of the fittest," then you would know that this is how we live which is why, again, living your life according to what is best for your emotional well-being is the most important thing and not deciding to sacrifice your own emotional well-being for the sake of gaining intelligence if such a choice were to ever be given to you in life.

What's the basis, you might as well live your life to the greatest pleasure... perhaps to you that's valid. And you've never shown any justification or scientific understanding of yours that makes any of you assertions of this type relevant outside of an opinion.

And why do you keep avoiding responding to question of why you keep creating the same topic focused thread?
We are here on this forum to not just talk about scientific facts--but our own personal opinions as well and to argue for or against those opinions with one another here as well. So even if this all was just my own personal opinion with no scientific proof or evidence to back any of it up, you are free to engage in conversing with my opinions anyway if you wish to.

(19-08-2014 08:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Long winded? Yes. Your word salad nonsense is tediously long winded. Thoughtful? Absolutely not.
It's thoughtful only in the sense that this might just all be my own deep insight through personal flawed opinions with no scientific proof or evidence to back any of it up.

(19-08-2014 08:52 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Your entire argument is that you won't believe anything you don't already want to believe and that that makes you "superior" to other people. I have ZERO interest in arguing against a person who willingly admits they will except no facts that disagree with the preservation of their delusion.
There is also another main thing in which I wish to be superior to which would be acceptance of major problems in life (such as if I had to live the rest of my life in a hospital bed with cancer or live my entire life with little to no ability to experience pleasure). This sense of superiority can come in 2 forms: 1.) Having delusional fantasies and living a happy life not having to deal with these problems or 2.) Actually using a hard cold fact of reality to my advantage such as that, since there is no point in living and that we are just all going to forever die in the end anyway, instead of being someone who accepts major problems in life and continues to live on anyway, I will become a cold hard bastard and decide to do what I want by ending my pointless life. The cold hard fact of reality that since we are going to die in the end and that we might as well just kill ourselves, this is actually something liberating to me and I can use this fact of reality to become superior to acceptance of reality's major problems. I would have given up and died. But at least I have given up and died as someone superior. I would actually feel empowered and superior for deciding to have given up and killed myself and feel that this cold hard fact of reality I stated is my best friend since I can use it to my advantage here.