Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2016, 01:22 PM
RE: Religion stems from ancient pagan astrology.
I have heard and/or read most of that in my self education, but still find it interesting.
Find all posts by this user
04-07-2016, 05:28 PM
Not exactly.

Religion stems from prehistoric hucksters figuring out that they could get laid and fed by telling tall tales instead of actually working.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
04-07-2016, 05:40 PM
I have a book somewhere, I'll have to go dig it out again because it was really interesting, but the author goes through the bible and talks about every point that lines up with astrology. He might have been reaching with some of them, but I was amazed at how much really did.

I only read half of it, because he then starts going on about why it's all true and I just literally couldn't even.

But the first half was really good.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
04-07-2016, 05:44 PM
No. Christian religions (more specifically the Catholic Church) co-opted a lot of pagan themes and rituals to make it more palatable when they forced people to become Christian.

So, yeah, there's a lot of pagan things woven into Christianity but Christianity didn't grow out of paganism.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2016, 06:18 PM
(04-07-2016 05:28 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Not exactly.

Religion stems from prehistoric hucksters figuring out that they could get laid and fed by telling tall tales instead of actually working.

Haha, they were called story tellers and were the best entertainment going. And yes, I agree, the are likely the origin of religion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-07-2016, 08:46 PM
So does Battlestar Galactica.
04-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Actually, religion originally stems from primitive man wondering from whence he came. It was natural for the primitive mind to imagine gods in the sky when natural things were happening around them. That is why the most primitive religions had sky gods, those of wind, rain, lightning, and storms.
12-07-2016, 05:50 AM
(04-07-2016 05:40 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I have a book somewhere, I'll have to go dig it out again because it was really interesting, but the author goes through the bible and talks about every point that lines up with astrology. He might have been reaching with some of them, but I was amazed at how much really did.

I only read half of it, because he then starts going on about why it's all true and I just literally couldn't even.

But the first half was really good.
Kindly provide the names of the book thanks

Sent from my M5 using Tapatalk
12-07-2016, 03:55 PM
I'm annoyed by the words " ALL CAPS 'REAL'", CAPITAL T 'Truth'", and "ALL CAPS 'MUST WATCH' DOUBLE EXCLAMATION POINT" in the title, but I'll suppose I'll give it a watch. Rolleyes

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?