Religion & the school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Religion & the school
Though I am not really new to the atheist beliefs, I am new to expressing them.

So in the last week my daughter has been telling me how she has to sing a song in band class. He desire to not sing isn't so much because she doesn't like to sing but because they are singing a religious song. My daughter and her best friend are openly atheist. I of course told her she didn't have to and I would talk to her teacher if it would be held against her for her grade. She asked me not to and decided to sing it (they both did).
But here I am after the concert feeling more angry by the moment that she had to. I will respect her wishes to not make waves. However I still need to vent and if not to the school than here.
Her older sister is very religious even though we has a house never have been. And I have fought the opposite battle for her to be able to skip things in school that go against what she believes and is comfortable with (on a side note to people who think we hold our kids back she is proof I let my kids decide what they believe and is best for them).
I just need to vent about it I guess. Our schools will forbid my child from wearing a pro-life t-shirt but pro-choice is ok. My religious daughter can't do many biblical things in school like pray out loud, but her sister has to sing a hymnal in band, the list is long of course just so frustrating!
Sorry for my babble thank you to whoever made it the end of this.

Wisdom from my eldest "Life's short... Get stoned!"
[Image: tumblr_m988n0gSY21r984nlo1_500.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AlaskaMom's post
14-05-2013, 11:57 PM
RE: Religion & the school
I've got a huge family! One of my uncles used to teach in Anchorage, and then in Barrow. His children, my 2 cousins, were raised there, and both have similar stories to yours. They're religious, but not so much so they couldn't see it was pushed on them. Mostly by my uncle himself. Compared to him, you're a superstar!! I admire your allowing your children to choose for themselves! Keep up the fight; you're awesome Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: Religion & the school
I remember when I was a kid, i didn't mind studying religious music in music class, but having to sing it at a concert would have annoyed me.

When i was in grade school, they actually tried to balance all the christian songs by making us sing ONE nonchristian song, that "dreidl" song. That way they thought everyone was covered, (everyone=christians and jews!). =\ i found it a bit annoying.

I don't have a problem with it if kids are studying older composers who happened to be religious, but if they're gonna choose songs for everybody to sing to an audience, I think it'd be better if they choose secular songs, yeah. I always felt uncomfortable singing christian songs when I was a girl scout, and they made us sing stuff about Jesus in my girl scout troop.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user