Religion to become extinct

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Religion to become extinct
Found this article from BBC about some countries where religion is set to go the way of the Dodo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197

A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

It contiues after that

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 10:02 AM
RE: Religion to become extinct
In Britain I think the only reason it's not 'extinct' is because people just pick 'christian' because they think they should.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
22-03-2011, 10:04 AM
(22-03-2011 10:02 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  In Britain I think the only reason it's not 'extinct' is because people just pick 'christian' because they think they should.

After reading Richard Dawkins, I wonder if America is really that religious as people say we are as a whole. I have never been to England or Europe, so I don't know how religious they are as a culture.

Dawkins makes it seem like America is a fairly churchy place.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
22-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey, FaceofBoe.

Quote:Dawkins makes it seem like America is a fairly churchy place.

The figure given in the documentary "Jesus Camp" is 80 million Evangelical Christians in the US.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote: Religion to become extinct

Oh really? Don't tease me now. Tongue

Generational programming has a lot to do with the continued mind control that affects future generations of children, who are taught to see the world as conflict territory. That divisive subjective discrimination afforded the Us vs. Them paradigm. And they're led to hold to those tenets by the fear paradigm that implants itself into absolutely every aspect of societal norms regarding morality and social controls.
Fear, is what keeps humans on an even keel. I'd love to see the day when churches close and sell their property because they can't stay open due to lack of interest.
The evolution of society away from the religious, the institutionalized fabled intolerant bigotry, would be a sight to behold in my lifetime. And a refreshing change that would boast hope for the whole planet. Smile
Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Religion WILL never go extinct. People will always believe in a higher being or a higher force. It maybe not the big three religions anymore, but it could be something new.

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
22-03-2011, 12:30 PM
What's up, Doc?

I agree. Ideas rarely die. There's still Nazis. Memes, like genes, have a representation in a meme pool. Right now the representation of religious memes in the global meme pool is relatively high. I can see that representation dropping sharply but I doubt that these memes will ever go extinct. But hey, critically endangered is pretty well functionally the same.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
22-03-2011, 12:30 PM
(22-03-2011 11:48 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  Religion WILL never go extinct. People will always believe in a higher being or a higher force. It maybe not the big three religions anymore, but it could be something new.

This is my fear as well.
There will always be beliefs but hopefully with education society can move to a more rational perspective.
A while ago we explained the events of our planets through gods.
Maybe one day we won't need them to explain the universe.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
22-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Once upon a time people laughed at the idea that women would be allowed to vote, or that the slaves in the U.S.A. and elsewhere would be set free, or that gay couples would be allowed to marry and adopt children. Society does change, often for the better. From what I have observed in my liftetime, "atheist" has progressed from a dirty word that only the boldest and bravest would admit to being, to something a normal person might say about themselves without raising too many eyebrows. People I know in European countries say atheism is the norm where they live, and the religious folks are in the minority, especially in the under-50 age group. I happened to notice the cover of my copy of Hitchens' God Is Not Great, How Religion Poisons Everything had the words "#1 International Bestseller" on it. It took me a moment to realize the significance of that. When I was a teenager, very few people would have bought a book with such an inflammatory and heretic title on it, especially given it's contents. In fact, Hitchens would have had great difficultly finding a mainstream publisher for it. The fear of religious backlash would have been too great. And how does a book tearing down religion in favour of atheism become a #1 international bestseller unless it resonates with a lot of people? The success that Dawkins, Harris, and others are having at selling their books on the same topic are indicative that more and more people are willing to question their beliefs. Obviously from the existence of sites like this one, which are growing in number, atheism is spreading, and not just at a slow pace, as educated people are finally realizing the religions they were raised with are just myths. The general consensus is shifting away from blind acceptance of religious dogma to acceptance of scientific evidence which contradicts religion.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
22-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I think the best we can hope for is for religion becoming less taboo, and people finally discussing it. I just had a friend say to me that I should be focusing on the african children dying of starvation instead of the african children being killed for supposedly being witches, because theres more of them. Complete sidestep..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire