Religion without supernatural phenomena

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 06:00 AM
RE: Religion without supernatural phenomena
(24-06-2014 07:13 PM)flim-flam Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 06:19 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd prefer Atheism not mean anything other than "Doesnt believe in god." It "Should" or "shouldn't" mean anything else.

But how do you define a god? If we define atheism as not believing in something that has no clear definition, then atheism has no clear definition.

On the other hand naturalism has a workable definition and is very closely connected to atheism IMO.

I don't need to define a god. That is not my problem. I am not the one claiming they exist. So far the people that have gods have not given any proof that their particular breed of god is real, so therefore I don't buy into it. Atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Here's some journal article on the New Age movement I found. It shows that this movement has some borderline reasonable originators.
http://www.equip.org/PDF/DN060.pdf

I'll have to look at this Fritjof Capra (do not mistake for Deepak Chopra). I only heard his name mentioned in the game Deus Ex (an enormously well-read and culturally rich game). An evil conspiracist corporation made a research of biotech and psychic abilities and the psychic division argued with Capra and complained that they don't get any information from the biotech division, even though they work in the same building. The biotech leader suggested she "reads it from her mind" Tongue
25-06-2014, 11:54 AM
(25-06-2014 06:00 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 07:13 PM)flim-flam Wrote:  But how do you define a god? If we define atheism as not believing in something that has no clear definition, then atheism has no clear definition.

On the other hand naturalism has a workable definition and is very closely connected to atheism IMO.

I don't need to define a god. That is not my problem. I am not the one claiming they exist. So far the people that have gods have not given any proof that their particular breed of god is real, so therefore I don't buy into it. Atheist.

Let's say I ask if you are a "flim-flammer". Wouldn't the correct answer be "I don't know" rather than "no"? You don't know what a "flim-flammer" is yet (neither do I until I make up a definition).

A god is not clearly defined, so I can't say "I don't believe in gods" all I can say is "I don't know until you define what you mean by a god".

On the other hand, naturalism is more clearly defined. A person can reasonably answer the question "do you believe there is more than naturalism?".

I just finished reading "Caught in the Pulpit" and the authors commented that many of the liberal pastors and priests claimed to believe in God but they also disbelieved in anything supernatural. I've noticed that among many believers and spiritual people - they don't believe in supernatural. So why don't they call themselves atheists? Using naturalism and supernaturalism would eliminate this confusion IMO. Smile
25-06-2014, 11:56 AM
(24-06-2014 07:13 PM)flim-flam Wrote:  
(23-06-2014 06:19 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I'd prefer Atheism not mean anything other than "Doesnt believe in god." It "Should" or "shouldn't" mean anything else.

But how do you define a god? If we define atheism as not believing in something that has no clear definition, then atheism has no clear definition.

Which is why I tend to define atheism as not believing in any theist fairy tales.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop