Religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2012, 05:47 AM
RE: Religion.
(16-02-2012 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 09:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  ... if none of the events happened then how did christianity still become so widespread...

It's a virus which affects reason and has taken us a while to find a vaccine for. That's all.

This...

If JC actually ever existed there would be some proof other than a book full of fairy tales. Also, isn't it ridiculously suspicious that the whole Jesus story isn't even kinda original? In other words, even IF we assume he existed, that just makes him a charlatan.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
20-02-2012, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2012 12:09 PM by jknightx.)
(16-02-2012 09:54 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  I think he may well have existed.
Probably the best analogy given so far about the beginning of Christianity would be 'The Life Of Brian' by Monty Python.
I always find it intriguing that Christianity took off since jesus was supposed to be a jew - now that's freakin' weird.
Scientology - now that's pretty fucked up! I remember seeing an episode on South Park about Tom Cruise and Scientology and they kept flashing 'This is what they actually believe' down the bottom of the screen and I was thinking, 'What the..?'
Apparently Tom tried to have it banned - suck shit and die, Tom Thumb lol

I love that movie!("the life of brian"
(18-02-2012 05:47 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 09:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 09:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  ... if none of the events happened then how did christianity still become so widespread...

It's a virus which affects reason and has taken us a while to find a vaccine for. That's all.

This...

If JC actually ever existed there would be some proof other than a book full of fairy tales. Also, isn't it ridiculously suspicious that the whole Jesus story isn't even kinda original? In other words, even IF we assume he existed, that just makes him a charlatan.
well ,I think that JC might have really existed, but he was just a jewish rabbi that pissed with the hiarchy, but the miracle stories were added later to one up the other predating religions, s they added the Mithra and horus mircles to the jesus story to show he was mighty than the predating religions.

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
20-02-2012, 12:15 PM
(16-02-2012 09:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  Something happened just over 2011 years ago.......what do you peeps think happened??? Do you think Jesus was maybe like todays OWS supporters and although he may not have had any "mystical powers" he may have been a revoloutionary that upset the authoritys way of handling the people?

Do you think it was all just a story.......that everything was not loosely based on different circumstances and it was all made up?

I really, really really don't care.
20-02-2012, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2012 12:57 PM by Peterkin.)
(16-02-2012 09:10 PM)bemore Wrote:  Something happened just over 2011 years ago.......

Do you think it was all just a story.......that everything was not loosely based on different circumstances and it was all made up?

It's a version of a story that had been around, in several forms, for at least two thousand years before this recounting. Christianity as we know it began, not in Judea but in Rome, though the sect there may have got its doctrine from Mesopotamia, where similar cults survived the preceding and succeeding centuries - Mohammed is said to have studied at one such commune.
The present form of Christianity is more accurately Paulist doctrine superimposed on Roman imperialist rule - the velvet glove on the iron fist, as it were.

Quote:Like everything in the bible I suppose its all open to personal interpretation.
Only recently. Priests really didn't like anybody but their own elite interpreting the book they themselves had written in AD 340(+/-) Modern preachers also prefer to do their own picking and choosing, stressing and glossing.

Quote:........if none of the events happened then how did christianity still become so widespread..........who and what was the driving force behind it.........

Constantine. The rather fierce Roman army. Ruthless bishops; cynical popes. Medieval armies. Inquisition. European imperial armies. Missionaries.

But the central story does resonate with most peoples, as it has its roots in a near-universal seasonal resurrection myth; the cycle of loss and renewal; sacrifice, atonement and reconciliation. The later catholics also co-opted many local legends and heroes and superstitions, incorporated these in "christian" lore and celebration. Christianity offers not only threats but blandishments, beauty, community, ritual, awe... Not all conversions happened at sword-point.

Quote: how do you feel that this "propaganda" is embedded into everybodys mind at a young age.........normally through state education........is it all just pre-programming of morals???

Not all just, but certainly, every society has some forms of early training for its members. Every society teaches its young the philosophical and moral precepts on which it claims to operate. Every society uses illustrative tales - about Siddharta, Gilgamesh, King Arthur, Nanbush, Davy Crockett - to implant its philosophy. Every society intends that the majority of its citizens will live by those stated precepts. Though the elite generally exempt themselves from the rules, the peons are a lot easier to order if they're drilled in obedience and dread.

(PS You might get a kick out of The Decline of Fall of the Roman Empire. Gibbon has a surprisingly contemporary style; easy and pleasing.)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post