Religions of the World 101 with Professor Buddy Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2011, 01:41 AM
RE: Religions of the World 101 with Professor Buddy Christ
So your claim to know something BC doesn't know, and cannot know, because of a "personal experience" which has given you, and only you, insights available to you and no other? Is this correct or just my interpretation? If so, you would be pretty thick not to understand why such arguments have little wight here. Read through any of the longer running threads on this forum and you will see that this forums regulars are nothing if not skeptics.
And for goodness sake, USE THE DAMN QUOTE BUTTON!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 04:22 AM

(25-05-2011 01:41 AM)Norseman Wrote:  So your claim to know something BC doesn't know, and cannot know, because of a "personal experience" which has given you, and only you, insights available to you and no other? Is this correct or just my interpretation? If so, you would be pretty thick not to understand why such arguments have little wight here. Read through any of the longer running threads on this forum and you will see that this forums regulars are nothing if not skeptics.

You are wasting perfectly shaped font by replying... Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2011, 08:46 AM

Norseman wrote:
So your claim to know something BC doesn't know, and cannot know,
because of a "personal experience" which has given you, and only you,
insights available to you and no other? Is this correct or just my interpretation?

thanks for asking
i appreciate your inquiry

so
B.Christ writes this:

And please stop calling them "enlightened masters." There's a word for
people who promote the "spiritual essence" and the "oneness of nature"
and the "material in between the matter"
the word is Deluded.

and i answered thus:

i see
you have not met an enlightened master
i have

i would try to explain who and what they are about making that kind of person
but that would be like trying to speak to a 13c. Italian about the world being round
an effort wasted

now
what do you think of this:

a man lives in a cave his whole life
he has not been outside to see the sky
but
he has heard of sky
only he does not believe it exists because he has not seen it for himself
does that make the sky not exist because he has not seen it?

so
when B. Christ tells me to stop calling an enlightened master an enlightened
master, that is like him telling me to stop calling the sky blue when the fact of
my experience is knowing the sky is blue

because B. Christ does not know something
i am supposed to remain in ignorance also?

i am in the face of crashing ignorance telling what is, and then, being subjected
to critically rude dismissal without room for argument:

Yours seems to stem from an overexposure to LSD.

so
i wrote in response:

ahhh... here we go
the derision of close mindedness has appeared
you validate my assertion
you represent the close-minded atheist equal to the religious fanatic
not a good look B. Christ

i can see there is no open mindedness to see or hear another point of view
and do not even try because i have been told not too:

please stop calling them "enlightened masters."

you write further:

If so, you would be pretty thick not to understand why such arguments
have little wight here. Read through any of the longer running threads
on this forum and you will see that this forums regulars are nothing if
not skeptics.

i have nothing against skeptical
i have something against close minded opinion that critically dismisses
another without hearing argument

and finally, you write:

i would like to use the damn quote button
but i do not see it

25-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Alright, so aside from being enlightened by weedy sea dragons with a zen monk tone in their writing, there is something I'd like to add. The berqa. I know it is the dress (specifically head dress) worn by women, and I've heard it explained WHY it is worn (to repress- err, preserve a woman's sexuality) but when did it start? Also, what and why are the men's head dress? Same thing?

This is probably the religion I know least about, I was just never even curious until recently.
25-05-2011, 11:52 AM
(25-05-2011 09:39 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Alright, so aside from being enlightened by weedy sea dragons with a zen monk tone in their writing, there is something I'd like to add. The berqa. I know it is the dress (specifically head dress) worn by women, and I've heard it explained WHY it is worn (to repress- err, preserve a woman's sexuality) but when did it start? Also, what and why are the men's head dress? Same thing?

This is probably the religion I know least about, I was just never even curious until recently.

There are a couple mentions in the Qu'ran:

24:31 And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment.

33:59 O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad).

But the specific guidelines are usually decreed by the local religious leaders. In some parts of Iraq, all women are required to be completely covered, yet in places like Baghdad, women don't even have to wear the burqa and are also allowed to drive (when I first saw I woman driving in Iraq, my head nearly burst in the utter contradiction).

It's worn for "modesty" and to keep men from becoming aroused. Seriously. Men are such primal creatures that seeing bare skin could send them into a sinful rage, so it's best to just remove temptation (and women's rights).

As far as the men wearing head pieces, I've never seen it. Unless you're referring to the bandana look when they're firing their AKs and threatening global jihad... in that case I'd assume it's just for anonymity sake. Plus it IS the desert, you gotta wear something.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
25-05-2011, 12:12 PM
(25-05-2011 08:46 AM)the_weedy_seadragon Wrote:  [color=#0000CD]i would like to use the damn quote button
but i do not see it

At the bottom off each post there are two buttons. One is "reply", which copies the entire post into your text editor.
Te second is the image off a guy with a bubble over his head. this is for if you want to use the quick reply. just press it, and you will see a new button in your quick reply field that asks you if you want to insert the quoted text.

(25-05-2011 08:46 AM)the_weedy_seadragon Wrote:  a man lives in a cave his whole life
but
he has heard of sky

The difference here is that the sky is actually demonstrably real. It is possible for you to show him the sky, and therefore give him reasonable prof of its existence. This is the criteria we set for what we believe to be real and true in the world. It needs to be demonstrably so. But do not think that this closes of our minds to anything that is not proven. I like using the Higgs boson as an example. We can not prove its existence, but assuming it exists makes so much sense when set against the knowledge we do have, that we can at least be agnostic about it without fearing ridicule.
In contrast, the way you would prove to the man in the cave that there is a sky, is to simply insist that he takes your word for it. You see the difference in the amount of blind faith required here?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
25-05-2011, 12:19 PM

I always found the Baha'i faith to be very interesting. Buddy you should make a post about them Smile
25-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I've been to Turkey once, during the Ramadan. What they do is eat/drink/have sex (? I actually didn't observe that) as usual, but at the end of the day they gather in a restaurant and have a very big meal with family and friends.

They are very friendly by the way. When we stared a little less discretely (that's what tourist do) at one of these -very loud- gatherings on the terrace of a restaurant, they started waving with their hands and shouting at us, signalling an invitation. That was not the first, nor the least occasion when I experienced the friendliness of the Turkish people. So not all muslims are like those Pakistani fanatics you see on the pictures.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
25-05-2011, 01:05 PM

showtime...

the_weedy_seadragon wrote:

a man lives in a cave his whole life
but
he has heard of sky

(25-05-2011 08:46 AM)Norseman Wrote:  The difference here is that the sky is actually demonstrably real. It is possible for you to show him the sky,
and therefore give him reasonable prof of its existence. This is the criteria we set for what we believe
to be real and true in the world. It needs to be demonstrably so. But do not think that this closes of our
minds to anything that is not proven. I like using the Higgs boson as an example. We can not prove its
existence, but assuming it exists makes so much sense when set against the knowledge we do have, that
we can at least be agnostic about it without fearing ridicule.

In contrast, the way you would prove to the man in the cave that there is a sky, is to simply insist that he
takes your word for it. You see the difference in the amount of blind faith required here?

excellent!

you write something needs to be demonstrated to show it exists so it is not
simply a belief or faith matter
i agree completely

if the man in the cave is willing to let me take him outside to see the sky
he will see the sky and know it for himself instead of word by another

in the same way
i can demonstrate to another what enlightenment is and about for them
to see and know for themselves
but
that person has to be willing to walk out of the cave to see

discarding what is not known and being satisfied is... a caveman's right
but
it is not right to ridicule what is not known
that's... class ignorance
or what would you call it?

25-05-2011, 01:15 PM
(25-05-2011 01:00 PM)TheSelfishGene Wrote:  I've been to Turkey once, during the Ramadan. What they do is eat/drink/have sex (? I actually didn't observe that) as usual, but at the end of the day they gather in a restaurant and have a very big meal with family and friends.

They are very friendly by the way. When we stared a little less discretely (that's what tourist do) at one of these -very loud- gatherings on the terrace of a restaurant, they started waving with their hands and shouting at us, signalling an invitation. That was not the first, nor the least occasion when I experienced the friendliness of the Turkish people. So not all muslims are like those Pakistani fanatics you see on the pictures.

Are you sure those people were Muslims? Perhaps they were as "Muslim" as the "Christians" we have who don't go to church or observe any holiday but christmas.

And yes, not all Muslims are terrorists. In Iraq, 95% of them were nice old men and women sitting around drinking chai tea. But the reason there are so many terrorists in the Muslim religion is that its holy text demands it (regardless of what a typical Muslim will tell you). The Qu'ran states that the ultimate goal is global jihad, and that non-believers are the enemy and will be tortured.

Actually... I think I'm going to make a new thread exposing this "peaceful religion" for what it is.

And seadragon... nobody wants to buy LSD off of you so that they can walk out of the proverbial cave.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post