Religions take on disability - punishment?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Religions take on disability - punishment?
I am originally from a very christian country. I have a severe visual impairment as a result of premature birth. It surely was a challenge for my family to deal with. While my parents weren't overtly religious, I often got the notion from other people that my disability would be seen as some sort of punishment by god. I never really got a clue weather I was supposedly punished, or my parents, by having to raise me, a disabled child. Either way, both ways are quite pathetic.

The question is, what is the religious take on disability, and if it's seen as some sort of punishment, why? And what for? Does discrimination against people with disabilities have its actual roots there?

As for me personally, due to the exposure of my environment as a kid, I did have some negative feelings. It was a mixture of sadness and guilt, asking the question: "why me? What did I do wrong?" This attitude wasn't very helpful to build self-esteem, yet I managed to brush it off when I got older and do my own thing.

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2013, 07:29 AM
RE: Religions take on disability - punishment?
People who believe in a "perfect creator god" need to make excuses for imperfections. Beyond that, people project their own beauty or ugliness into their gods.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-06-2013, 04:18 PM
According to Catholicism, when Adam and Eve sinned, it introduced a lot of imperfections in the world - disease, disability, natural disasters, blah, blah, blah. Before that, things were supposedly "perfect". I don't know what other religions teach about that specifically.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
26-06-2013, 09:39 PM
ok so according to that logic, it means that the "unlucky" ones are carrying the burden of Eve's sin? One might ask, how does god pick them? How just is such imaginary friend who'd let suffer millions of beings, just b/c some chick pissed him off few thousand years ago? I just don't get why people created such a fucked up deity, couldn't they come up with something nicer? Like, cute fairies? Wink

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
26-06-2013, 09:50 PM
The one book in the bible I use with my fundie patients is Job. Tha message to me is: shit happens and it's not your fault nor your parents'. Job's friends were very helpful when they sat silently with him for 2 weeks. When they opened their mouths and started blaming Job's sin for his troubles they did harm. I warn people with hardships eg. Depression or disability to stay away from do-gooders who want to help by making sense of the situation. If you want to help then shut up and be supportive. Don't blame the victim.
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post
27-06-2013, 04:30 PM
(26-06-2013 09:39 PM)pxlgirl Wrote:  ok so according to that logic, it means that the "unlucky" ones are carrying the burden of Eve's sin? One might ask, how does god pick them? How just is such imaginary friend who'd let suffer millions of beings, just b/c some chick pissed him off few thousand years ago? I just don't get why people created such a fucked up deity, couldn't they come up with something nicer? Like, cute fairies? Wink
Actually, according to that logic, we are all carrying the burden of Adam's and Eve's sin. I think its supposed to be more like a general state of things. They say disability was made possible along with disease, natural disasters, etc. because of the original sin. Who gets struck by what part is probably random. Some will be disabled, some will get cancer, some will be killed by a tornado, or whatever.

Not that I believe any of that BS of course...

What gets me is, for someone who believes that, the whole matter would be god's creation - the fact that a single sin could result in such bad consequences in the first place. And that same god could easily say "Ok, the sin wasn't really THAT bad" and prevent all the bad stuff. But he didn't and yet they still think he's the god of perfect love. Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair