Religions that you respect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Big Grin Religions that you respect
The topic of his thread is which religions do you respect and which religions do you hate ? From my perspective all religions are bullshit. But I don't think
all religions are the same. Some are dangerous , violent and poisonous. The religions that I respect or that I don't have a problem with them are : Buddhism , Judaism , Jainism and Easter orthodox Christians . The religions that I can't stand are ; the Roman Catholic Church , all Protestant denominations , Islam , Scientology and Hinduism( Hindus caste system is ridiculous and destructive to people ) . I can't comment about oriental orthodox Christians because I don't know much about them.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
16-08-2016, 08:45 AM
RE: Religions that you respect
There are religious people that i respect, but there are no religions that I respect. Some are more tolerable than others, but still irrelevant in determining what I think of its practitioners, whom I prefer to pass judgement on as individuals.

Spiritual belief systems than don't bother me as much include neo-paganism and some branches of Buddhism. Other branches are just as religulous and its practitioners just as potentially nuts as the rest, despite its modern reputation among western yuppie culture.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
16-08-2016, 08:49 AM
I think most religions have their good parts and bad parts. What little I know of Quakerism I generally respect. When they meet for "service" they sit quietly in a room together and just think about stuff, lol. I like that. Then again Richard Nixon was a Quaker.

I can somewhat admire the general thrust behind the Amish and similar "simple life" type orders. Leaving the last 150 years of societal development behind might not be the worst idea a group of people have came up with. When society inevitably burns itself out, it won't be the fault of the Amish, that's for sure. But the pronouncements against sexuality in general and severely limited options for people do make it seem like it would be a very narrowly-defined and boring lifestyle. But they get their satisfaction from other means, I'm not going to tell them they're wrong.

At the end of the day I'd say they ALL promote some good and some bad ideas, but no religion is as good as no religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
16-08-2016, 08:52 AM
the religion I respect is......... The Order of Eating, sleeping, Gaming, Reading, and watching Movies Smartass

seriously why would I honestly respect religion ?
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
16-08-2016, 08:56 AM
(16-08-2016 08:52 AM)Ace Wrote:  the religion I respect is......... The Order of Eating, sleeping, Gaming, Reading, and watching Movies Smartass

seriously why would I honestly respect religion ?

Of course you don't have to respect any religion but it's clear that some religions are worse and in some cases a lot worse than others. For example you can't compare Judaism and Jainism with Islam or the Roman Catholic Church. Jews and Jains are cool and harmless in general.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
16-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Religions are like fashion. They come and go.

Respect might be too strong a term. I can tolerate Christianity. With some notable exceptions, they are generally a tolerant group, making peace with current norms. In today's world, I will take them over Islam. That is not to say they were not a bunch loonies a few centuries ago. Or that they may not become that way again in the future. I think Buddhism might also be okay, though I have little exposure to them.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
16-08-2016, 09:08 AM
I know some Mennonites who belong to a more mainstream, middle of the road church and they're ok. Pretty nice people and do good work in the community. But guess what....THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DANCE Gasp

I went to the wedding of a Mennonite and the bride was a ballet dancer. Her fellow parishioners were very confused and rather shocked by her desire to be a dancer. Anyway, after the ceremony they had some music playing and my husband and I were about to get up and dance but the brides mother, who was a good friend of ours and teaches ballroom dancing, winked at us and said it wasn't allowed. She was very apologetic about it. What the fuck!

Anyway, the Mennonites sure can sing. They make up for their lack of dancing by singing like angels.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
16-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I don't have much of a problem with the Quakers, Unitarians, Reform Judaism or the more liberal forms of Christianity, although I don't agree with their theology.

I have a passing acquaintance with Sikh philosophy and Ahmadiyya and Sufi Islam and think they're mostly okay. Buddhism is a total crap-shoot, with some harmful and cultish woo-woo in a lot of sects and some very useful philosophy in others (I favour the non-theistic meditative schools). Daoism is okay as long as it sticks with the Daodejing and doesn't wander off into syncretic Chinese folk religion nonsense.

Love the Hindu pantheon, but Hinduism itself seems a bit too conservative and restrictive.

And I do have a soft spot in My heart for heiðinn/pagan reconstructive polytheism, particularly Ásatrú.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
16-08-2016, 09:15 AM
All religions are ways to divide people into us versus them. All religions, once they accumulate enough political/social power, favor their adherents over non adherents.

I agree that some religions at this point in history are more dangerous and overtly intolerant than others. However, all any religion needs is a bunch of unhappy people and a charismatic, power-hungry prophet with a vicious streak to make it dangerous, first to the people inside the cult and then, given the right circumstances, to people outside it. The belief that there's a divine force of some kind that wants to interact with humans is probably impossible to eradicate and will always be potentially harmful. I refuse to respect religion in any form.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-08-2016, 09:17 AM
(16-08-2016 09:08 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I know some Mennonites who belong to a more mainstream, middle of the road church and they're ok. Pretty nice people and do good work in the community. But guess what....THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DANCE Gasp

I went to the wedding of a Mennonite and the bride was a ballet dancer. Her fellow parishioners were very confused and rather shocked by her desire to be a dancer. Anyway, after the ceremony they had some music playing and my husband and I were about to get up and dance but the brides mother, who was a good friend of ours and teaches ballroom dancing, winked at us and said it wasn't allowed. She was very apologetic about it. What the fuck!

Anyway, the Mennonites sure can sing. They make up for their lack of dancing by singing like angels.

A wedding where I wouldn't have to feel awkward by not wanting to dance? Sounds great to me!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post