Religions that you respect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2016, 06:42 PM
RE: Religions that you respect
(16-08-2016 04:13 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 03:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm thinking yes, in the sense that there is no worship of a deity. Do they take collections of people's money? I don't have an in-depth knowledge, but the things I have read strike me as positive.
I was under the impression that they're a satirical religion, much like Pastafarianism and Kopimism.

From what I've read on the internet, you are describing The Satanic Temple, not the followers of LaVey. I'm sick as a dog, so my google-fu is lacking today. Maybe in the morning if I sweat this sickness off.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Religions don’t bother to me. To that end, I can respect them all. I think they're all valid ways of living (provided that people aren't being harmed in the process). What bothers me is when people become fanatical about their beliefs. When someone wants to push their religion onto me or impose laws that uphold their own religious values (but not mine), or when someone wants to end my life because we believe different things… then I have a problem. I also have a problem with fundamentalists who feel compelled to push their values on their children or fellow community members in such a way that they have no choice but to follow or be ostracized from the family or community.

The things people think in their heads doesn’t really matter… is what they do with it that can cause problems.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
17-08-2016, 11:46 PM
(16-08-2016 10:46 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I submit there is no such thing as the "Roman Catholic Church", (any more).
They are all different. Almost every single one. It's why Catholics "shop around" to find one they can tolerate, (even the Suscipe Dummy Knee crowd).

Yup. This is an arguable point. It can definitely be argued that the Universal Church is no longer universal at all.

-

Excl On the ignore list: Taqiyya Mockingbird, Minimalist, DemonicLemon, GirlyMan, WhiskeyDebates, and EvolutionKills.
-
18-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Religions that you respect
Mythology

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-08-2016, 04:59 PM
(16-08-2016 12:28 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(16-08-2016 09:40 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  I can't respect mysticism in any form. The one I hate and despise the most though would be Islam. Christianity is wrong and dangerous in its way but Islam promotes force against non-believers. Christianity uses force to to convert but it is a threat that one must accept on faith. Islam promotes violence in this world, not in one to come after death. Also many more Muslims take their religion seriously whereas most Christians do not.

I agree , Islam is the worst religion. Christianity is bullshit but not all Christians are the same. Eastern Orthodox Christians are about 300-350 million worldwide and between 5-6 million in the USA. Most orthodox Christians in the USA are immigrants or descendants from the first orthodox Christians immigrants. Some native Americans convert to orthodoxy. Orthodox Christians don't push their version of Christianity to others. That's why most people in the USA and in the American continent aren't familiar with this version of Christianity. I thought all Christians are the same but I was wrong. I know a few orthodox Christians and they are the coolest people you can met. I don't agree with their theology but I respect them. Is like the Jews , I don't subscribe at all to their theology but I respect them. Roman Catholicism is in my opinion the worst version of Christianity and Protestants are pretty bad too. I like orthodox Christianity art.

Wast majority of people in Serbia are Eastern Orthodox Christians and it is a very relaxed doctrine.
On one hand that is good, but on the other hand this is the reason people don't question it, it is not pushed on them , it is not aggressive or demanding so people don't rebel against it.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
18-08-2016, 05:48 PM
None.

Some religious people are worthy of respect but I find that they tend to be the ones who just pay it lip service.

Actual believers always seem to be self-righteous cunts.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-08-2016, 07:42 PM (This post was last modified: 18-08-2016 08:07 PM by Stevil.)
(16-08-2016 08:37 AM)Leo Wrote:  The topic of his thread is which religions do you respect and which religions do you hate ?
I don't have much exposure to religions, but from what I know or perceive, I have no respect at all for any religion.
I don't see Christianity, Islam, Jewish, Hindu any different from each other.
They all spout utter rubbish, and try to get their sheeple into a dependant relationship with them, where-by the sheeple give up their money and time and the organisation sell them they idea that they are unworthy low lives and must give money and become subservient and obey in order to attempt to be worthy.

As a parent I feel it is my job not to maintain power over my children, but instead to develop them to become whole. To have confidence to make their own decisions, to make their own mistakes to make their own choices and to survive and thrive on their on cognition. I teach independence where religious outfits develop dependence.
Our philosophies are the opposite, If religious outfits are the "Christ", I am the "anti-christ"!
If the god in the garden of eden wanted dependence and the snake wanted self-direction, then I am the snake, the opposer of the self appointed malevolent dictator.

If Good is obedience, following god or those whom seek to be god's voice.
And if Evil is sinning (not following the dictated path, deemed the righteous path) then I am the promoter of sin and the opposer of the righteous.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
19-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Eckankar

This was the last Religion I investigated before I gave up looking, I still have all the books I ordered from them (in storage some where) and I like their philosophy (which was pretty much stolen from the good parts of most of the eastern & western religions and mixed them together into this).

There is tons of woo of course, but I still use the meditation techniques I learned from their books which work without needing to learn the woo. My wife gave birth to our 2nd child without any pain killers cause of one of the meditations I taught her.

I'd be interested to know how many people investigated other religions before they became an atheist, or if most people just left their "birth" religion and left it at that.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
19-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Any religion that keeps to itself and doesn't go out infecting other people would be OK with me.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
19-08-2016, 07:47 AM
(18-08-2016 05:48 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  None.

Some religious people are worthy of respect but I find that they tend to be the ones who just pay it lip service.

Actual believers always seem to be self-righteous cunts.

Genuine believers are disgraceful. Granted.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg