Religions that you respect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Religions that you respect
I like Aesop's Fables. It's not a religion but it's got little morals and character studies. It uses animals as examples and doesn't have mass genocide or an angry selfish god who treats women like shit.

That's the difference between "fables" and a "parable" Parables generally use people and spiritual moral lessons. Fables use animals, plants and inanimate objects to tell only moral lessons. I'm a big fan of Aesop and his fables......even though Aesop is kind of mythical himself.Rolleyes

Animals with differences helping each other out......gratitude.

[Image: aesops-fables.gif]

The Crow and the Pitcher. The crow fills up the pitcher of water with stones to get the water level up so he can drink the water. Moral of the story.....Necessity is the mother of invention!

[Image: Aesop-fables-main.jpg]

and of course The Tortoise and the Hare

[Image: n-AESOP-TALE-628x314.jpg]

Or you might prefer this version. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-08-2016, 12:09 PM
(20-08-2016 10:11 AM)kim Wrote:  Sikhism. Sikhs are ok - lovely people - they don't give a shit whether anyone believes anything or not. Not preachy at all. They live by the notion that "we're all in this together, equally" and really have their shit together about that. Sikhs reject claims that any particular religious tradition has a monopoly on "absolute truth", including their own. They pretty much believe there's a ubiquitous god and that's that.

They also make great food and like to make sure no one goes hungry. I'm very cool with that. Thumbsup
Sounds good they get my vote and I've learned something too Smile
22-08-2016, 02:38 AM
(16-08-2016 08:01 PM)Aliza Wrote:  The things people think in their heads doesn’t really matter… is what they do with it that can cause problems.

Hmm, good things come out of people's heads as well.

My version is more like, "What you think is yours alone, what you do may affect others. Think carefully before you act."

Also, "It's not who or what you are that matters, it's on what you do that you will be judged by others."

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
22-08-2016, 04:08 AM
I respect indigenous religions, in that I think that many of them have much to teach us about the natural world and our place in it, not to mention what we could learn from their political systems and philosophies.
Monotheistic proselytism all but stamped out these religious traditions, along with their related cultures and languages; this is nothing short of cultural genocide, and we are all the poorer for it.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
22-08-2016, 06:41 AM
(20-08-2016 07:09 AM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  
(19-08-2016 08:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Nazis are subverting Asatru. Just saying. And calling Asatru "pagan" is a joke, since xtianity borrows elements of other religions, then shamelessly calls them "pagan".
Nazis have a million and one beliefs when it comes to religion. If that's the case every damn thing that has European tradition is being subverted.

What is the meaning of paganism?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wasn't clear, getting thought to type. Some skinhead white supremacists are using Asatru as a religion in prisons. So, Nazi wasn't correct.

Pagan means not-organized religions that worship many gods or goddesses, the earth, the moon, etc. I have nothing wrong with paganism, since worshipers aren't beholden to a central authority, thus not pushing their beliefs on me or anyone else, nor asking me for money.
22-08-2016, 07:09 AM
I hate the word "respect". It is hardly if ever used for it's intent. Far too often it is used by many to say "Don't bruise my ego" and or "know your place". I never use it. I say "value" instead. I will always value human rights, including the right to make claims that make me want to pull my hair out. But claims as ideas do not deserve blind value. If a claim is factual it can withstand the arrows of ridicule and blasphemy. Humans certainly deserve the value of being free from violence and should be protected by common law. But claims as ideas do not deserve to be scrutiny free. If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
22-08-2016, 09:24 PM
(16-08-2016 08:37 AM)Leo Wrote:  The topic of his thread is which religions do you respect and which religions do you hate ? From my

I like Buddhism, Pantheism, Paganism and Taoism and think Hinduism is interesting. I especially am not a fan of Christian or Muslim fundamentalism.
23-08-2016, 12:38 AM
(20-08-2016 11:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [Image: aesops-fables.gif]

The Crow and the Pitcher. The crow fills up the pitcher of water with stones to get the water level up so he can drink the water. Moral of the story.....Necessity is the mother of invention!

There is a gif of a crow doing just that to obtain some food floating on the water in a jug, wiil try to dig it out and post elsewhere.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.