Religiosity slides worldwide, plummets in scandal-hit Ireland

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 05:45 AM
Religiosity slides worldwide, plummets in scandal-hit Ireland
"Traditionally Catholic Ireland has registered almost the steepest drop worldwide in people calling themselves religious in a new survey tracking international trends in faith and atheism in recent years.

Only 47 percent of Irish polled said they were religious people, a 22-point drop from the 69 percent recorded in the last similar poll in 2005, according to the WIN-Gallup International network of opinion pollsters."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/08/08...6820120808
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Jeff's post
09-08-2012, 07:03 AM
RE: Religiosity slides worldwide, plummets in scandal-hit Ireland
Well, non-religiousness is the fastest growing philosophical stance in the world.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
09-08-2012, 07:09 AM
I wonder if part of it is that people are just too busy.
Like people work long hour days, Mon-Fri, then they come home to the kids etc.. and so Sunday roles around and the last thing you want to do is go to church, and so eventually you pretty much just give up religion and hence 'non-religious'.

Non-religious and not believing in God are two separate things.

It's good news anyway you look at it though. I mean afterall, it's the active theists that are the problem.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
09-08-2012, 07:12 AM
(09-08-2012 07:09 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I wonder if part of it is that people are just too busy.
Like people work long hour days, Mon-Fri, then they come home to the kids etc.. and so Sunday roles around and the last thing you want to do is go to church, and so eventually you pretty much just give up religion and hence 'non-religious'.

Non-religious and not believing in God are two separate things.

It's good news anyway you look at it though. I mean afterall, it's the active theists that are the problem.

Agreed. And, if you were wondering, that is why I said non-religiousness and not atheism.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]