Religious Absurdities in picture form

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 07:50 AM
RE: Religious Absurdities in picture form
Its just a parent saying to a child, "If you don't behave well in public, there will be hell to pay when we get home."

This god character doesn't want to do anything to you in public, out of fear of what the other gods will think of him, but once you're dead and back home in heaven, he'll show you hell .

The idea is all too human. Made up by humans, to control behavior. Sometimes its hard for me to understand why the religious can't see this obvious ploy for what it is.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 08:23 AM
(04-11-2015 02:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The idea that eternal punishment is just, wise or necessary makes the most basic Christian assertions of god's benevolence or even intelligence absurd.

Eternal torment is pointless, what would the person being tormented learn? How would that be beneficial to anyone? How would that be superior to simply terminating their consciousness?

Why is belief the only value that has meaning to such a deity? This sounds like a system designed by barbarians to scare people into behaving and going along with whatever the arbiters of this religion wanted.

This god is neither benevolent or intelligent if that's the best it can come up with. Neither are the biblical myth writers......

Of course the doctrine of conditional immortality / annihilationism tentatively escapes or at least attempts to escape this. If I were a believer I would support this doctrine, however, i would only be doing so because this part of 'god' thought just like me. In other words, I would be morphing god to fit into my worldview. Since there are copious views for all, it's easy to find your choice of consumption at the buffet.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
05-11-2015, 08:28 AM
(04-11-2015 11:08 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  This is what certain religious people think logic is?

What if our justice system operated under this premise?

One thing I hate about myself, looking back, is how readily I just accepted what I was told.

I remember hearing that very thing, and having my first thought be "that doesn't make any sense"... then, I'd just go on believing it, anyway. That was one of many Christian beliefs I had as a kid, where I sort of realized that there's no way the world could work like that in practice, but that some how "that's just the way it is".

Other things I believed, yet still had a lot of trouble with:
  • You cannot denounce God if you or a loved one is threatened with death or torture. It is up to you to preserve God's ego and die/be tortured with dignity/watch a loved one die/be tortured.
  • It is super important to get a baby baptized. If it is dying in the hospital right after birth, a pastor should get there immediately. If he's too late, he needs to preform last rites. God probably wouldn't send it to hell, but the pastor still needs to perform this magic spell, because [reasons absent].
  • God will punish you for things your great great grandfather did. God doesn't actually do that, but he used to, and he could, but don't worry.
  • Hitler could have gone to heaven had he not killed himself and had repented. Gandhi would not go to heaven because he didn't swear the proper oath of fealty before he died.
Confirmation was a very odd, troubling time in my life.

(04-11-2015 04:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So which sin can I be guilty of and still make it into heaven?

Any of them, except blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Apparently, God gets super pissed when you insult that particular third of him. But yeah, other than that, kill anyone you want. You still get into heaven if you swear the proper oath of fealty before you die.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-11-2015, 08:31 AM
(05-11-2015 08:23 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 02:07 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  The idea that eternal punishment is just, wise or necessary makes the most basic Christian assertions of god's benevolence or even intelligence absurd.

Eternal torment is pointless, what would the person being tormented learn? How would that be beneficial to anyone? How would that be superior to simply terminating their consciousness?

Why is belief the only value that has meaning to such a deity? This sounds like a system designed by barbarians to scare people into behaving and going along with whatever the arbiters of this religion wanted.

This god is neither benevolent or intelligent if that's the best it can come up with. Neither are the biblical myth writers......

Of course the doctrine of conditional immortality / annihilationism tentatively escapes or at least attempts to escape this. If I were a believer I would support this doctrine, however, i would only be doing so because this part of 'god' thought just like me. In other words, I would be morphing god to fit into my worldview. Since there are copious views for all, it's easy to find your choice of consumption at the buffet.

I think the entire concept of hell has been a bitter pill for them to swallow. That's why we have started seeing backpeddling with such doctrines, I've noticed the soft sell of hell using terms such as "separation from god" is what hell really is.

Too bad the William Lane Craig's of this world waste time with the stupid Kalaam arguments, it would be better served to explain a scriptural interpretation that eliminates eternal torture from Christian thought.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
(05-11-2015 07:10 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Sin - Reaction
Lie - None
Assault - None
Rape - None
Murder - None
Genocide - seal of approval
Slavery - seal of approval

fixed Thumbsup

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
05-11-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 09:03 AM by Tonechaser77.)
As a follow up, I will admit that when I do a simple google search for "all sins are equal" the overwhelming majority of the results within the first 4 to 5 pages imply that all sins are NOT in fact equal. Plenty of scriptures are given to back this statement up. However, many also say all sin is equal in the sense that they separate you from god and the consequence of that separation is hell. These people are in fact conflating an eternal consequence of sin (hell, or that particular doctrine of hell) to how the laws that were established carried out retribution for said sins. For instance, if someone kills their family, that is a sin, but it is punishable by law in a much harsher ((is that a word??)) manner than someone who steals a candy bar. Both actions have different "natural" consequences but both actions have the same "spiritual" consequence. One cannot say that all sins are NOT equal if they all end in the same consequence, namely hell. That's simply absurd. Or at least, if one does claim that all sins are not equal then the onus is on that person to prove why different weights of sin do not result in different weights of eternal punishment. (Still absurd in itself because a finite sin resulting in an eternal punishment is ridiculous.)

Furthermore, is it a sin if god commanded that person to kill their family members? Or if god commanded someone to do some action that brought harm to others? From there we enter an entirely new dimension of absurdity and eventually Euthyphro's Dilemma. But i'll just leave that alone for now.

**Crickets** -- God
05-11-2015, 01:36 PM
(05-11-2015 08:31 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:23 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Of course the doctrine of conditional immortality / annihilationism tentatively escapes or at least attempts to escape this. If I were a believer I would support this doctrine, however, i would only be doing so because this part of 'god' thought just like me. In other words, I would be morphing god to fit into my worldview. Since there are copious views for all, it's easy to find your choice of consumption at the buffet.

I think the entire concept of hell has been a bitter pill for them to swallow. That's why we have started seeing backpeddling with such doctrines, I've noticed the soft sell of hell using terms such as "separation from god" is what hell really is.

Too bad the William Lane Craig's of this world waste time with the stupid Kalaam arguments, it would be better served to explain a scriptural interpretation that eliminates eternal torture from Christian thought.

No, these guys are into the money they are making. It is easier to keep the hard core believers that won't change their mind even if confronted with evidence. Unfortunately, it is those that believe in hell and believe in the bible being 100% true. As long as they don't change what they say, the money keeps rolling in.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
05-11-2015, 11:37 PM
(04-11-2015 03:15 PM)theophilus Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 11:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Ugh I remember this from my pastor. All sin is sin--all is an equal offense to God.

That is a commonly held opinion but it isn't biblical.

https://joshuaagan.com/2015/08/20/not-ev...-is-equal/

Hmmmm.... Consider

Quote:But in essence, some sins carry greater consequences than others.
And then... Unsure
Quote:This leaves no room for categorizing sins.

"It's not that they're all equal, they're just all equal." Hobo

Shocking
05-11-2015, 11:57 PM
[Image: b4170a6dae3a3f5e94da9fdc9fe76f81_zpshqynkdoz.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
06-11-2015, 11:39 AM
(05-11-2015 08:28 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 11:08 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  This is what certain religious people think logic is?

What if our justice system operated under this premise?

One thing I hate about myself, looking back, is how readily I just accepted what I was told.

I remember hearing that very thing, and having my first thought be "that doesn't make any sense"... then, I'd just go on believing it, anyway. That was one of many Christian beliefs I had as a kid, where I sort of realized that there's no way the world could work like that in practice, but that some how "that's just the way it is".

Other things I believed, yet still had a lot of trouble with:
  • You cannot denounce God if you or a loved one is threatened with death or torture. It is up to you to preserve God's ego and die/be tortured with dignity/watch a loved one die/be tortured.
  • It is super important to get a baby baptized. If it is dying in the hospital right after birth, a pastor should get there immediately. If he's too late, he needs to preform last rites. God probably wouldn't send it to hell, but the pastor still needs to perform this magic spell, because [reasons absent].
  • God will punish you for things your great great grandfather did. God doesn't actually do that, but he used to, and he could, but don't worry.
  • Hitler could have gone to heaven had he not killed himself and had repented. Gandhi would not go to heaven because he didn't swear the proper oath of fealty before he died.
Confirmation was a very odd, troubling time in my life.

(04-11-2015 04:38 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So which sin can I be guilty of and still make it into heaven?

Any of them, except blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Apparently, God gets super pissed when you insult that particular third of him. But yeah, other than that, kill anyone you want. You still get into heaven if you swear the proper oath of fealty before you die.

Your're experiences reflect mine to a T.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post