Religious Art ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Religious Art ?
As someone who's professionally completed art since 1975 I can honestly say that Yes I have created art for art's sake alone - specifically for beauty's sake. In fact, this happens a few times during the course of a year. Art just for the Sake of Art is very important in my opinion. You say you do it for emotional reasons? I don't really care what is the motivation behind art for art's sake.

Now...... if you wish to psyche me through the various reasons WHY I might make art for art's sake - beauty in particular --- feel free to analyze me all you want. lol

I also think that a thread for "Art's sake" and religious art are two different critters. But that's just my opinion.

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 09:12 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I love religious art; I specialized in Buddhist and Hindu art as a former art history major. I'm also a big fan of western religious art. The Pieta is my favorite piece. It is nearly 6 feet tall and carved from a single block of marble. The most interesting aspect of religious art, at least for me, is that it was often used to convey religious concepts to illiterate people. This is why it tends to be presented in a narrative form. This can have drawbacks, however. I showed a piece of Christian art in a previous thread that was used to convert the sick and dying through fear tactics.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
27-12-2013, 09:14 AM
(27-12-2013 08:45 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:41 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Yeah, they are usually commission'sTongue
And...really? yes they do...
As someone who paints regularly I can tell you that no I don't. Most paintings are for emotional relief.
As someone who also draws for that reason and also to draw for mastery and yes even solely for fun. How about that?Big Grin what about little children? Why do they paint? Sorry your argument just falls flat. We love ya anyway though.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
27-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Living in central Europe, I had enought of all these religious paintings in all these boring old medieval churches.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
27-12-2013, 09:19 AM
(27-12-2013 08:36 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  No one simply makes art for pretty pictures.

Yes they do. Art is first and foremost an aesthetic pursuit. Most people that make art do so because they want to create things that elicit some sort of emotion in the people viewing it. Most often they seek to produce aesthetic pleasure.

And to be perfectly frank, the idea of a blind painter is absurd. Painting is entirely visually oriented.
27-12-2013, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 09:27 AM by BrokenQuill92.)
(27-12-2013 09:19 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 08:36 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  No one simply makes art for pretty pictures.

Yes they do. Art is first and foremost an aesthetic pursuit. Most people that make art do so because they want to create things that elicit some sort of emotion in the people viewing it. Most often they seek to produce aesthetic pleasure.

And to be perfectly frank, the idea of a blind painter is absurd. Painting is entirely visually oriented.

http://drbeer.info/BAS_wp/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_artists

http://englishrussia.com/2009/04/24/the-...nd-artist/
Don't be an ass
27-12-2013, 09:25 AM
(27-12-2013 09:19 AM)Chippy Wrote:  

27-12-2013, 09:25 AM
http://esrefarmagan.com/biography/

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load
27-12-2013, 09:29 AM
(27-12-2013 09:21 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 09:19 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Yes they do. Art is first and foremost an aesthetic pursuit. Most people that make art do so because they want to create things that elicit some sort of emotion in the people viewing it. Most often they seek to produce aesthetic pleasure.

http://drbeer.info/BAS_wp/

Don't be an ass

Well Chippy isn't entirely wrong in his assessment of what normally IS a completely visual thing. He may, however, be unaware that there are and have been blind artists who have created art for art's sake because they were very much *led*, inspired or somehow inclined to do so. I offered a link of such a person. Who when studied by Harvard showed a section of his brain Lit Up when he was creative using visual expression. So........
art isn't really limited to the sighted.
But to Chippy's credit - art is limited to the sighted More often than not.
That's all.

[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-12-2013, 09:38 AM
[Image: 3Salvador-Dali-The-Temptation-Of-Saint-Anthony.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like black_squirrel's post