Religious Art ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 09:39 AM
RE: Religious Art ?
(27-12-2013 09:38 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  [Image: 3Salvador-Dali-The-Temptation-Of-Saint-Anthony.jpg]

I don't know what that means it just says image
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 09:43 AM
(27-12-2013 09:39 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 09:38 AM)black_squirrel Wrote:  [Image: 3Salvador-Dali-The-Temptation-Of-Saint-Anthony.jpg]

It's a surreal painting by Salvador Dali. it depicts a naked St. Anthony holding a cross before animals with extremely long legs that stretch into the sky. These animals are a horse and several elephants. The elephants are carrying buildings on their back
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-12-2013, 09:43 AM
(27-12-2013 09:39 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

The title of the piece is "Temptation of St Anthony". Maybe you can read about it if you cannot see it. There are many "Temptation" versions the one posted is Salvador Dali. Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-12-2013, 09:51 AM
(27-12-2013 09:43 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 09:39 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I don't know what that means it just says image

The title of the piece is "Temptation of St Anthony". Maybe you can read about it if you cannot see it. There are many "Temptation" versions the one posted is Salvador Dali. Thumbsup

Thank you
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
27-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Re-railing back to the OP, It definitely is worth it, even if it's disturbing.

What is considered disturbing today might not have been disturbing so many years ago.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-12-2013, 09:54 AM
(27-12-2013 09:51 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Re-railing back to the OP, It definitely is worth it, even if it's disturbing.

What is considered disturbing today might not have been disturbing so many years ago.

I agree. And I find value in religious art because it helps us understand how the human race has viewed & depicted religion throughout the centuries. Some of it is and should be disturbing. Problem is it is disturbing for different reasons to people. Buuuut you can always just brush that under the rug of "hey it's art and therefore open to ANY interpretation. Have at it."
lol

27-12-2013, 09:57 AM
(27-12-2013 09:51 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Re-railing back to the OP, It definitely is worth it, even if it's disturbing.

True but my question is more about your opinion art. If you find it disturbing fine. If you find it lovely fine. If you have no opinion fine.
27-12-2013, 10:00 AM
(27-12-2013 09:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

True but my question is more about your opinion art. If you find it disturbing fine. If you find it lovely fine. If you have no opinion fine.

Opinion OF art?
I think that's what you meant (?) Although I certainly don't mean to put words in your mouth.

I, too, am interested to learn what members here think about religious art. Damn fine question if you ask me.
Thumbsup

27-12-2013, 10:57 AM
As someone who has seen the Pieta up close, as well as the art in most of Rome's churches and museums, I can tell you I don't give a rat's patootie that it's religious. The talent is what matters to me, the fact that Michelangelo sculpted that from one block of marble, that he could make something so beautiful (regardless of what it depicts) is what art is to me.

And I don't restrict my interpretation of art to paintings and sculptures. There are beautifully moving songs that are religious or religiously inspired that I love listening to for their remarkable arrangements and structure, and I consider that art. Being an atheist just means I have one stance on one issue, it doesn't make me closed-minded and ignorant toward the beauty and accomplishment of humans, regardless of their inspiration and beliefs.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
[+] 5 users Like WillHopp's post
27-12-2013, 11:02 AM
(27-12-2013 10:57 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  As someone who has seen the Pieta up close, as well as the art in most of Rome's churches and museums, I can tell you I don't give a rat's patootie that it's religious. The talent is what matters to me, the fact that Michelangelo sculpted that from one block of marble, that he could make something so beautiful (regardless of what it depicts) is what art is to me.

And I don't restrict my interpretation of art to paintings and sculptures. There are beautifully moving songs that are religious or religiously inspired that I love listening to for their remarkable arrangements and structure, and I consider that art. Being an atheist just means I have one stance on one issue, it doesn't make me closed-minded and ignorant toward the beauty and accomplishment of humans, regardless of their inspiration and beliefs.

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup Soooo very much love this response ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post