Religious Art ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 11:46 AM
RE: Religious Art ?
Most religious art is incredibly beautiful, but I can't help but think that these incredible artists could have done something better with their time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
27-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Religious stuff stood a better chance of being preserved. We got lots of it dating back thousands of years.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
27-12-2013, 12:04 PM
(27-12-2013 09:57 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(27-12-2013 09:51 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Re-railing back to the OP, It definitely is worth it, even if it's disturbing.

What is considered disturbing today might not have been disturbing so many years ago.

True but my question is more about your opinion art. If you find it disturbing fine. If you find it lovely fine. If you have no opinion fine.

The question wasn't clear then.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
27-12-2013, 12:08 PM
The church I attended when I was a kid had amazing artwork. Big old Catholic Basilica. I always liked the carvings, paintings, and most of all the stained glass. Quite impressive. The museum here in Dallas had a lot of religious art in it when my son and I went. I just think the old religious art is amazing when I think of what they had/didn't have to work with. By that I mean what they used for paints and brushes and the fact that they didn't have the benefit of the lighting we have now. But then, it's not just religious art, but any art done years and years ago. I always marvel at what the artists were able to do.

It is also interesting to see how people were depicted...body shape/size, hair, clothing, etc. Religious or not, it's a history lesson and interesting to see different techniques and styles.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I'll say one more thing about this: I'm not exactly pro-narcotics, but if an artist smoked some hemp before painting something that I love to look at and analyze, why do I care how he got his inspiration? Same with religion, just because something I don't endorse inspired the Creation of Adam doesn't mean the painting isn't priceless and one of the greatest accomplishments in history.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
27-12-2013, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2013 06:37 PM by Heathen.)
Great art is almost always "inspired" in some way. The artist attempts to convey feeling or emotion in 2 dimensions, or 3 in sculpture and architecture. Great art is not merely a representation of the real world, that's boring, it strives to take you somewhere else, to make you think and feel. When it succeeds - that's art.

While I abhor Christianity, the art and architecture truly is incredible and I do appreciate it. It's the same with other schools of artistic expression; the Greek, Roman, Mayan, Egyptian, Chinese, et al. I think it is rather close-minded to dismiss the great artistic expressions of our species simply because we disagree with the beliefs of the artist.

Often, the most disturbing art can make the strongest impression, which is the goal. Atheists have a different perspective on religious art but it can be equally powerful, just for different reasons.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
28-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Some of it is really great, IMO.
28-12-2013, 07:41 AM
(27-12-2013 09:17 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Living in central Europe, I had enought of all these religious paintings in all these boring old medieval churches.

You Germans hate yourselves too much.
28-12-2013, 07:48 AM
(27-12-2013 11:46 AM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Most religious art is incredibly beautiful, but I can't help but think that these incredible artists could have done something better with their time.

They might not have done anything if it weren't for the religious motivation. Art-wise, that is.
28-12-2013, 08:04 AM
(28-12-2013 07:41 AM)Juv Wrote:  You Germans hate yourselves too much.

Central Europe isn`t all Germany.

Be it France, The Netherlands, Austria or the Czech Republic, it is all filled with these horrible cold "Wehrkirchen" from the early medieval era. Churches built with thik walls to withstand a siege and attack by a medieval army. And the paintings in them are really not that much worth watching. And it isnt any better in Gothic style churches and any other churches as a matter of fact.

People have to understand that for most of history art was not a form of expression but a craft or trade. Artists were seen as craftsmen similar to carpenters and there services were seen as such aswell.

There is no real "atistic" expression in religious paintings that are from the Renaissance or early, since all of them were simply payed for classic displays of reality that left no room for interpretation let alone creativity.

Art as a form of expression didn`t really come into existance until the 19th century.

So no, I dont like these boring images. They are always the same and have nothing to them that is in any way an expression of an artist.
Be it a personal struggle, social critizism or the simple admiration of beauty by the artists.

Just look at this:

[Image: 800px-Agias_Triados_frescos_2.jpg]

And now at this:

[Image: guernica.jpg]

And tell me which one conveys a better message and has some actual creativity invested into it.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.