Religious Art ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: Religious Art ?
(28-12-2013 02:35 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Smile

Fair enough, still funny though.

I grew up bilingual, so I should actually know the laguage.

I honestly dont reply to such correcting posts anymore because they were intentionaly done by members of another forum to make me lose my patience.

(22-05-2014 06:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I abstain from all forms of sexual acts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I was just joshing with you. But it was the word and context that made me giggle.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2013, 11:30 PM
[Image: original.jpg]

Actually I am quite fond of looking at crucifixes.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
29-12-2013, 01:47 AM
(28-12-2013 01:31 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 07:48 AM)Juv Wrote:  They might not have done anything if it weren't for the religious motivation. Art-wise, that is.
Why would they not? Obviously, an artist that can create a religious masterpiece has natural creativity and an artistic personality, a personality that urges one to produce pieces of art (like many writers and persons of other artistic ability).

Most creative people feel the urge to burn their creativity, and in order to burn their creativity, they must fuel it somewhere, this somewhere is everywhere, within all things, but more so within religious texts (along with other fables and stories). So, it is without a doubt that religious fanaticism did lead to the kindling of creativity in many artists, however, this same creativity would have inevitably been fueled by other ideas present within the same time period.
Good points, but much religious art would not be what it is without that particular inspiration, e.g. Orthodox iconography needed Orthodox Christian fantasy to look that way.

Of course, you're correct that those artists could have used their energy and skill to make art of a non Christian type that would likely be very cool.
29-12-2013, 01:53 AM
(28-12-2013 08:04 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(28-12-2013 07:41 AM)Juv Wrote:  You Germans hate yourselves too much.

Central Europe isn`t all Germany.

Be it France, The Netherlands, Austria or the Czech Republic, it is all filled with these horrible cold "Wehrkirchen" from the early medieval era. Churches built with thik walls to withstand a siege and attack by a medieval army. And the paintings in them are really not that much worth watching. And it isnt any better in Gothic style churches and any other churches as a matter of fact.

People have to understand that for most of history art was not a form of expression but a craft or trade. Artists were seen as craftsmen similar to carpenters and there services were seen as such aswell.

There is no real "atistic" expression in religious paintings that are from the Renaissance or early, since all of them were simply payed for classic displays of reality that left no room for interpretation let alone creativity.

Art as a form of expression didn`t really come into existance until the 19th century.

So no, I dont like these boring images. They are always the same and have nothing to them that is in any way an expression of an artist.
Be it a personal struggle, social critizism or the simple admiration of beauty by the artists.

Just look at this:

[Image: 800px-Agias_Triados_frescos_2.jpg]

And now at this:

[Image: guernica.jpg]

And tell me which one conveys a better message and has some actual creativity invested into it.

The first painting is more moving, IMO.
29-12-2013, 08:42 PM
God I saw this funny post on FB, where it was all these pretty religious paintings, and the text said
"Did you like these paintings ?
BAD! HITLER DREW THEM"

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
29-12-2013, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 12:21 AM by kim.)
(28-12-2013 08:04 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  ...
There is no real "atistic" expression in religious paintings that are from the Renaissance or early, since all of them were simply payed for classic displays of reality that left no room for interpretation let alone creativity.

Art as a form of expression didn`t really come into existance until the 19th century.

So no, I dont like these boring images. They are always the same and have nothing to them that is in any way an expression of an artist.
Be it a personal struggle, social critizism or the simple admiration of beauty by the artists.

Well, I can't quite agree. True, there is a bit of a difference between religious art created for specific places and religious art for it's own sake. A great deal of Monastery works (like German guy posted) was created for the clergy only and sometimes even by the clergy... but yes, usually procured as payment for a debt owed by some grubby artist. Some of it was bound to be cranked out.

To me, religious art is fucking exciting - some is downright hysterical and yea, often disturbing. It's very often a reflection of what was going on at the time of it's creation. The historical accuracy alone helps tell a detailed story of our civilization.

For instance, syphilis was a major killer in Europe during the Renaissance. ... the Turks called it the "Christian disease". The Isenheim Altarpiece was painted for the Monastery of St. Anthony, which specialized in hospital work. The Antonine monks were noted for their care of plague sufferers as well as their treatment of skin diseases and syphilis.
[Image: Mathis_Gothart_Grünewald_019.jpg]
Christ is markedly depicted with syphilitic type sores... people could relate.

My point being; there is a ton of seriously good shit out there from the 14th & 15th centuries that could very well blow one's mind.
Ah... you know who I'm talkin' about...
Yep, Mr Nightmare himself: Hieronymus Bosch.
[Image: laatsteoordeel_bosch_grt.jpg]
This is one of his "Last Judgement" works - he did a couple of different versions. Here's another...
[Image: 07.jpg]
If you don't know Bosch, hop on your google machine and look this little bastard up.
I'm just saying, if you find Renaissance imagery boring, you may not be looking in the right place. Wink

As well, I don't think I could compare the Guernica with anything from the post-Byzantine/proto-Renaissance... they are apples and oranges. Hell, I don't think I would compare it to much going on in the current art world - the thing is a significant Masterwork both artistically and historically - it was from the moment of conception.

But I digress. Blink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
30-12-2013, 09:48 AM
(28-12-2013 02:18 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  "And that coming from an era in which the vast population of Europe was illeterate."

I love it when people misspell illiterate when making fun of others for being illiterate.

Sorry, bud, it had to be said. Smartass

[Image: Taylor-Swift-Laughing-Gif-taylor-swift-3...00-245.gif]

"Presumably man with hair on fire can be used to cook eggs and bacon..."MorondogLaugh out load
30-12-2013, 10:24 AM
(29-12-2013 11:08 PM)kim Wrote:  If you don't know Bosch, hop on your google machine and look this little bastard up.
I'm just saying, if you find Renaissance imagery boring, you may not be looking in the right place. Wink

I found the religious artwork section of the Museo del Prado very heavy going, both because of the art style and the monotonous themes. I can appreciate many of these works in isolation, but put so many together and my stamina falters.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
30-12-2013, 01:19 PM
(30-12-2013 10:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 11:08 PM)kim Wrote:  If you don't know Bosch, hop on your google machine and look this little bastard up.

I found the religious artwork section of the Museo del Prado very heavy going, both because of the art style and the monotonous themes. I can appreciate many of these works in isolation, but put so many together and my stamina falters.

Ah, that's a very good point; media overload. I suspect one would gain far greater entertainment value if given more time to examine art with specific focus, rather than be shuttled through a museum like cattle.

There is very much a balancing act going on within the brain when looking at art. There is the artistic process to be considered as well as the concept then, the history then, the imagery, etc.,. there's a lot going on there. Not to mention; my feet are killing me, can I get a poster of that?, and when is lunch? ... the art experience. Dodgy

I like to go to the museum for the overall experience of being surrounded by art in general. For me, it's like hiking into the mountains, absorbing the scenery, and melting into the various landscapes I see surrounding me. I can't always relax into every single view but I manage to enjoy the few little stops along the way. I wish the same for others but i know it's not always possible. Art is often kind of a do or do not thing.

This is funny...
I asked my brother if I could take him to my favorite museum and show him a couple of things I thought might interest him. I go there often and would probably go a couple of times a week if I lived closer. He lives even further away and I asked him if he'd ever even been there. He said he had once, when he was in high school... that was nearly 35 years earlier. He said he saw all the art there and he doubted it had changed so, it wouldn't be worth driving all that way to see it again.

Blink

Art
Me: do.
Brother: do not.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.