Religious Art ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 03:54 PM
RE: Religious Art ?
I majored in Art History in college and focused specifically on Medieval European Art, so I've looked at a whole lot of Jesus and Mary in my life. I think I actually appreciate it more as art being removed from the religious aspects. I can look at a piece without the same bias as a believer and study the culture more objectively.

I find medieval art (which is mostly religious in nature, although some of the non-religious things are really fun) fascinating and beautiful. I've always loved the more cultural aspects of history, one of the first things that got me into history as a kid was reading ancient myths, and religious art gives an amazing look into that. The medieval cathedrals are breathtaking, and I can look at them as amazing works of humans instead of divinely ordained. I can talk about unsettling aspects of some religious iconography without self-censorship and worry.

Also, by studying the medieval period rather intensely I can probably talk with more authority about Church history and the development of Christian dogma more than any believer. I know how the portrayals changed to fit their times, I know the changes in orthodoxy, I've learned all the Apocrypha and non-canonical legends. I know where the relics came from and what the early view of them was, I know which popes commissioned portraits of their mistresses and how the building of those cathedrals served political purposes. A lot of my knowledge may be trivia, but it also gives me some arguments that aren't always heard.

Also, I studied the erotic tortures of virgin martyrs, the Virgin Mary breastfeeding, St. Sebastian's bulge and nuns giving birth to monkeys. That's just fun!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply