Religious Education

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 03:26 AM
Religious Education
Dont know if anyones watching BBC1 right now but theres a very interesting debate going on about religious education

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 07:00 AM by Mark Fulton.)
RE: Religious Education
Guess it depends what part of the world you are in. Shy

Tell us about it, maybe provide a link?

I think this is one of the most important issues we should discuss. Here is my take.

Churches and Children

“We’ve been got at, and our principal spiritual battle is waking up to that fact”

(Douglas Lockhart, Dark Side of
God
, 233).

It is a free world, so churches have the right to interpret history to their own advantage and to advertise to adults, but when they impose their beliefs on young children they are playing dirty. Churches have always made school children their key target because it is much easier to sell mythical nonsense to a youngster than to a rational adult, and they are well aware that youthful beliefs become deeply ingrained. The uncritical, sensitive, and trusting mind of the child is usually where the Christian seed
is first planted.
Churches own and run schools for this very purpose. Children’s heads are filled with exorbitant amounts of propaganda in the form of prayers, hymns, and stories about death, heaven, hell, Jesus, sins, angels and devils. Good and bad behavior is described in Christian terms, and juniors are told God is watching them, can read their thoughts and that the devil is trying to tempt them. Churches deliberately create distress, then appeal directly to the child’s primitive security fears to relieve it by offering them safety in Jesus’ bosom.

Christmas toys and chocolate Easter eggs, obviously designed to enthrall children, are associated with Jesus’ birth and
resurrection.

Well-meaning Christian teachers and parents fail to realize they are being used by churches to fill children’s minds with so much superstitious nonsense it makes the advertising on television look small time. This unrelenting blitz has one aim - to develop brand loyalty to a church. Brainwashed kids become compliant adults, people willing to part with their cash. They help indoctrinate the next generation and the cycle continues. Churches have refined the system of keeping themselves powerful by targeting youngsters. They make the corporations of the commercial world look like amateurs in comparison.

Does this damage the developing child? Oh yes. I believe a fundamental feature of an exceptional education is to help children construct a mental landscape in tune with reality. They should be taught how to think, not what to think. They need to be made aware of their own unlimited potential and that they control their own destiny. The premises of Christianity undermine this. Convincing a minor he or she is inherently bad, which is an integral Christian idea, can cause untold harm to basic self-esteem. Then there is the devil. To children, Satan can be a very real identity, waiting to devour them. Early childhood convictions can be so embedded in the subconscious that children have recurrent troubling thoughts and nightmares. Then there is a myriad of other issues including paranoia, poor self-esteem, poor self-expression, guilt about sexuality, and hurt due to exposure to hypocrisy and noxious prejudices. Problems sometimes don’t become apparent until later in life.

If Christians disagree with me and genuinely believe their agenda is so wonderful, why the pressing need to indoctrinate and prejudice young minds with so much of it? Why not teach Christianity to children when they are old enough to better think for
themselves? Geography, trigonometry, and economics are universally regarded as valuable, but no one thinks a five-year-old needs to be saturated with them.
Churches know it is vital to get inside children’s heads as early as possible. Clearly, their agenda is their own advancement, not the good of the child. That is not excusable from an organization claiming to preach social harmony and morality.

Why should parents allow churches to use psychological ploys such as repetition in prayer and messages in songs and hymns
on their innocent children? If the dogma is that valuable, it should be self-evident, and taught without trickery.

Youngsters deserve a lot better. Human love, fun, gentle discipline, stimulation, and truthful facts about their world are what makes them happy and gives real meaning to their lives, as shown by the happily radiant little children found in many close-knit communities who have never heard of God or Jesus. Person to person love and stimulation are real. Nonsense about an ancient God with odd ideas whom they can’t see, touch, or understand is not.

Church authorities may accuse me of being cynical. These people have probably never objectively thought about church greed and the reality of indoctrination. Brand loyalty has been so heavily stamped into their minds that they can’t fathom the idea of their church losing its grip on the market, even without them realizing, and I can prove it. Consider what they would think about a Christian denomination other than their own educating their children. The teachings are almost identical, yet many would be
horrified because, for them, a “Christian education” is all about shoring up the power of their own church.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Religious Education Indoctrination and Brain Washing

Fixed that for you. No charge. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-05-2012, 02:44 PM

They are preparing human beings to be completely blind to our own species accomplishments and devote themselves to a superstitious entitiy that only helps divide us, cause stupidity, and lead to a world where they still believe its a massive problem that homosexual people sleep in the same bed. Instead of focusing on starving children, but it should make everyone happy that the church has their priorities in order.

It is such complete nonsense that it baffles me people can't believe how much they are part of a scam.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I separate religious education from indoctrination. I support teaching comparative religion at the high school level. Unfortunately it wouldn't work because of the far right wanting to push their religion as superior to others. I can see them pulling their kids out when it got past Christianity.

I think education in a religiously based school in bound to suffer from the outset as they do not like to give unbiased descriptions of other religions and we see how they view science.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 06:01 PM by Thomas.)
(06-05-2012 04:24 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I separate religious education from indoctrination. I support teaching comparative religion at the high school level. Unfortunately it wouldn't work because of the far right wanting to push their religion as superior to others. I can see them pulling their kids out when it got past Christianity.

I think education in a religiously based school in bound to suffer from the outset as they do not like to give unbiased descriptions of other religions and we see how they view science.

They teach that their religion is not religion, but the truth, then teach that other religions are just man-made inventions. Poor souls that don't know the truth.

In a university class such as Philosophy of Religion the Christians expect Christian Theology as the basis for discussion. For example: One student when discussing the possibility of an afterlife claimed that it was absolutely certain based on the "fact" that "the Lord Jesus Christ" rose from the dead. How could Jesus have done this if there was no afterlife? That may sound laughable, but try leading a discussion after that claim is made and half the class is in agreement. To deny this means that you're just one of those "atheist" sent by Satan to lead people to hell.

Jesus Camp--"This means war"- "you are the judges" - "give your life for Jesus"
I don't think their message could be any more clear.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Here religious education is compulsory in a lot of religious schools. However you learn about all religions equally (my sister went to a catholic school) and it's more like a form of social studies. I actually wish the high school I went to had it I might have taken it (went to public school, no way in hell I'm going to a catholic school).

So your version of religious studies sounds extremely different to ours.
In saying that though there's a 'cult' ("elitist" Christian community) here that are trying to set up their own private school and god only knows what they'd teach the kids there. (this "cult" is pretty bloody religious, if you can call a bunch of poor people giving 10% of their wages to one dude religious. Seriously, he lives in a massive mansion while his people live in south Auckland which is the poor poor part, amoung other outrages things listed under "religion" like exiling gay people from their families and all that cult like behavior, it's fucking disgusting actually.)

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
(06-05-2012 06:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Here religious education is compulsory in a lot of religious schools. However you learn about all religions equally (my sister went to a catholic school) and it's more like a form of social studies. I actually wish the high school I went to had it I might have taken it (went to public school, no way in hell I'm going to a catholic school).

I wish we had comparative religious studies as compulsory in the states starting in the first grade.
That would cause one hell of a political firestorm with the religious. kids would be pulled from schools, schools burned down, the cry of state forced secularism, bla, bla, bla...and I would enjoy every minute of it. I might even start watching the local news again. Well, maybe not that far.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
08-05-2012, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 04:24 AM by PeterKA.)
Didnt really take many notes as I spent the entire time dodging all the strawmen that were flying out of my TV screen. The basic argument from all the different religious representatives (Jewish, Muslim and Christian) was that religious education was a good thing because it kept children away from from conflicting or secular ideas.
The argument from the secular side was that religious education was a bad thing because it kept children away from from conflicting or secular ideas.
Ill search for a link and post if I find one
And here it is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01hhh3y/

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
08-05-2012, 04:24 AM
So what you're saying is that they said ramming a religion (as in a single religion) down a kids throat is a good thing because that way they don't have conflicting arguments of different religions and all that goes with which religion to choose and the difference and so forth??

Because that sounds fucking ridiculous, when will people stop treating kids like kids. Kids can think, they can comprehend they are capable of being presented with all the facts and making up their own god damn mind.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post