Religious Family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Religious Family
Hey, i know this is a topic that's been discussed a gazillion times, plus you made a show about it, but ill post it anyway.
Im 21 years old, I live with my family, and as you can understand Im an atheist in a religious (Jewish) family.
On the sabbath I respect my family and sit to dine with them for Kiddush - the traditional meal of the sabbath, and yet it seems like my father insists on raising religious topics right at my face, instead of maintaining the status quo and avoiding the subject, as if it's not akward enough to sit through the Kiddush prayer as the single ateist in the family.
So he'll address me in the middle of the meal and say something along the lines of "Isnt god great for watching over us?", and me not wanting to stir things up and just have a quiet meal will just nod in response.

As to my mom, she ignores the subject completely, but she acts like she doesnt know im an atheist.
Like today I bought Dawkin's book "The God Delusion", and she acted all surprised about it...

I dont event know what Im expecting when posting this, just need to vent out i guess... but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to
believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2011, 09:54 AM
RE: Religious Family
Welcome to the forum Avrahams.
Have an insightful stay.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Sometimes venting works just as well as us giving insights. The more you talk it out, the more you'll find insight within yourself.
But of course, there is plenty of support here and in reading the words of others, you'll find much to think about and be inspired by.

Welcome!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
16-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I understand you completely. I'm very open to everyone about me being an atheist. My entire family (minus my wife and kids) are religious. I have to deal with the simple crap. My grandmother attempts to say things just like that. I usually ignore her questions completely.

The other day I was telling her and my mother about that planet they found that could possibly be, as they called it, Earth 2. My grandmother said, "That must be the new planet god is making for us to go to after this place." I obviously ignored that completely ignorant statement and moved on. I get this kind of stuff all the time. I can relate completely.

It is tough dealing with that crazy bullshit. It's like walking through a never ending nut house!

It sometimes helps me to know, one day their numbers will be dwindled. One day the religions of today will be in that same little book you see in the book store, "Mythology." The last chapter explaining the funny stories of the big 3.

It may not be in our time, but it sure is nice to know what will eventually come to be. Just be glad you are part of its undoing. Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Clint Barnett's post
16-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi avrahams1 - tough to sit through all that.

Smile Welcome to the forum.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-12-2011, 07:29 PM
I feel very similar... My dad pretends that I'm still a Christian. He makes religious statements, says he's praying for me, etc even though I've made my beliefs known. My mom acknowledges my beliefs and 'debates' with me, but has made comments along the lines of "Christians think atheists are stupid." Hint hint, I think you're stupid for being an atheist.

My boss is worse though, he asks if I've found a church, attributes my skills to God and says that we shouldn't have a separation between "life" and "work," but do everything in the glory of God. I only put up with it because it pays significantly more than any other job that I know I could get right now, especially in this economy. He doesn't know I'm atheist though, as I've kept absolutely quiet about that at work. I wouldn't want to put my job/career in jeopardy...

Better without God, and happier too.
17-12-2011, 02:10 AM
So he'll address me in the middle of the meal and say something along the lines of "Isnt god great for watching over us?"

I don't understand why people think that remarks like this will miraculously have us falling on our knees in enlightenment and repentance. I guess it goes to show that they think they have the most obvious reasons for believing. I find myself guilty of the same thing, thinking that all the believer has to do is realize a given incredibly obvious point and they will suddenly see the light of reason. I guess it doesn't work that way from either side.
[+] 1 user Likes socken's post
17-12-2011, 05:22 AM

I avoid the religious topic with my family. My mother is in the closet about atheism, but openly a unitarian (though she never attends church services), my father keeps in contact with Christians, and is agnostic in the sense he doesn't attend church, just claims to see something in faith. I have tried to suggest that there is nothing in faith, but haven't pushed too hard to be honest. My parents never pushed me into faith, or gave me a bible to read. It was there on the bookshelf, but my parents never read it themselves (or at least not while I was watching), and I never really paid much attention to it as there were much more interesting fairytale stories.
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2011, 07:14 AM
I really wanted to give you an answer from my experience but it turned out huge so I made it its own thread.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
17-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Well, while my mother doesn't really care about church she still considers herself a religious person. On the other hand my father is very religious, but he never brings up this topic. It's a shame, because I really like to talk about this. Unfortunately, I think they don't really know much about religions, so even if we were to talk about this, it wouldn't be interesting.
But hey, it's christmas soon, we're visiting our family, Christians, which may be fun, I can't wait ; )
[+] 2 users Like imralav's post