Religious Freedom in Michigan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Religious Freedom in Michigan
Well I am officially moving from Michigan when I get the chance. Michigan law makers passed a bill called the "Religious Freedom and Restoration Act" which in short allows people to be protected by the law if they refuse their services due to their strongly held religious beliefs. Pretty much if a pharmacists wants to deny you birth control because they don't think it's right due to what they believe in then they can, if a religious baker wants to deny a gay couple a wedding cake, they can. Religion seems to be slowly taking over here. I think State Rep Vicki Barnett said it best:
Quote:This bill moves us in a new and unchartered directions. It requires me and others to practice the faith of our employers, grocers and pharmacists.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2014, 05:47 PM
RE: Religious Freedom in Michigan
(08-12-2014 05:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well I am officially moving from Michigan when I get the chance. Michigan law makers passed a bill called the "Religious Freedom and Restoration Act" which in short allows people to be protected by the law if they refuse their services due to their strongly held religious beliefs. Pretty much if a pharmacists wants to deny you birth control because they don't think it's right due to what they believe in then they can, if a religious baker wants to deny a gay couple a wedding cake, they can.

My religion requires me to shoot people who do that. So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Religion seems to be slowly taking over here. I think State Rep Vicki Barnett said it best:
Quote:This bill moves us in a new and unchartered directions. It requires me and others to practice the faith of our employers, grocers and pharmacists.

Undoubtedly some pinko Democrat. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-12-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm totally okay with this law. All it needs is a bit of an expansion: All strongly held opinions, not just religious beliefs, can be used as a legitimate reason to refuse service to people.

"No one wears stripes in my store! I refuse service to you!"

"You're that young lady I heard badmouthing Iron Man, aren't you? Service denied."

"Grape soda is clearly superior. I will not check you out until you put back your lemon lime abomination."

Cause why the hell not? Same level of importance as the religious opinions.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 6 users Like CleverUsername's post
08-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Already posted a story about this in the news section called "Motor State Madness". Yea it sucks to be you. I do not envy you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-12-2014, 06:24 PM
(08-12-2014 05:53 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Already posted a story about this in the news section called "Motor State Madness". Yea it sucks to be you. I do not envy you.

My bad, I didn't see it.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Just waiting for non christian people to give christian a taste of their own medicine.
All women must wear headscarves when they work for me...
08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
legislated discrimination, wonderful.
Next people are going to be segregated or asked to leave counsel meetings when a prayer is said, oh wait Drinking Beverage
How do they not see this? This is segregation, sick and wrong.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
09-12-2014, 04:01 PM
So presumably an atheist could refuse service to a Christian?
[+] 5 users Like Mr. Boston's post
10-12-2014, 06:18 AM
(09-12-2014 04:01 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  So presumably an atheist could refuse service to a Christian?

I don't think it counts because atheism isn't considered a religious nor are we religious.

10-12-2014, 06:19 AM
^A "secular humanist" then.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.