Religious Inlaws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 07:02 AM
RE: Religious Inlaws
(03-03-2016 11:16 PM)doggers Wrote:  Thank you all for your comments. Their next visit is in March so I think it's clear I need to speak to my husband before then.

One more question about the gift giving... A lot of you said to throw inappropriate gifts away, which is what I have been doing but at this age my son isn't aware of what he's received. My concern is if I don't stop the Christian themed gifts now then when he's 3 or 4 and opening their gifts they'll use that moment as a platform to preach. He'll also be more aware when I've thrown his gift away and I have no doubt they'll ask him how he is enjoying it in future.

They also always want to babysit when they visit and I already feel uncomfortable about leaving him alone with them after finding that Jesus story book in their house. Our son is the only grandchild so it was only intended for him. I don't want them scaring him with stories of hell or alienating him from his parents (his mother is quite vocal about her mindset that non-believers are immoral). By not being 'out' or more vocal about our beliefs I feel we may be teaching our son that there is something shameful about being atheist. That is not the message I want to portray.

My husband's family are extremely conservative and use religion to justify their bigoted opinions, this also worries me because my extended family is the opposite - I have a gay brother, cousins and nephews of different races and two of my siblings have children outside of marriage. My side of the family is very liberal and accepting but unfortunately they live on the opposite side of the world and we'll only see them once a year.

"You cannot use God as an excuse."

Remember those seven words.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 01:21 PM
RE: Religious Inlaws
In an attempt to make my atheism more visible I just 'liked' The Thinking Atheist page on facebook. We've gotta start somewhere right! Thanks to everyone for your input on this thread, you've given me some great food for thought and I'll let you know what changes during their visit at the end of this month.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes doggers's post