Religious Leaflets, cards, etc do you get?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Religious Leaflets, cards, etc do you get?
The Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door once every couple weeks asking to talk to my girlfriend (they gave up on me long ago), and I totally play along because it cracks me up that she feels too bad about confronting them, as nice and polite as they are, to inform them that she's atheist. They always drop off a little pamphlet for her. I usually use it for study material, because the vocabulary will come in handy later when my French is good enough to debate religious fruitcakes in Québec.

A short time ago while I was parked in Montréal, someone dropped a leaflet on my car talking about how it was only a matter of time until they succeeded in implementing sharia law in Québec and I should convert to Islam now while I have the chance to do so on my own volition. If I'd been present when that was dropped off, you'd probably have read about my response in the paper and I'd be sitting in a detention centre awaiting deportation by my former coworkers.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2015, 08:53 AM
(18-09-2015 07:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 12:04 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  On average, how often does someone leave a religious pamphlet, leaflet or whatever on your door each month, week or year?

I've only gotten one, ever. Where I live, people don't ask you if you go to church. They ask you which church you go to.

I'm very, very sorry for you. No Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-09-2015, 08:54 AM
I get them mailed to the house...

Seriously...

Mailed...

Thank goodness they don't have my email address.

But yeah, we get stuff left at the door all the time. I no longer answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. I used to get kids coming to my door wanting me buy a magazine subscription so they won't join a gang or do drugs...Dodgy One kid yelled at me once because I refused to buy.

It was a bit unsettling.

But yes, the JWs leave stuff all the time. Sometimes we'll just push it under the mat...until one day I pushed one under and another popped out the other side. Blush

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-09-2015, 09:03 AM
(18-09-2015 08:04 AM)cactus Wrote:  A couple of guys moved into the apartment down the hall from me, and every morning an older dude comes to pick them up at the curb. They're always standing there with white shirts and ties, and bulky messenger bags over their shoulders, and I have to walk past them on the way to my car. They give me the creepiest fake smiles, and I always reciprocate with a quick glance in their direction and a quick "Hey *forced smile*" before hurriedly getting into my car.

That's been the extent of our interaction, except for one time that they knocked on my door. I looked through the peephole, saw them standing there, and pretended not to be home. I watched as they struggled for like a whole minute to wedge not one, but two Watchtower magazines through the side of my door. I considered yanking the door open just to see if I could scare them, but I didn't want to be too much of an ass Laugh out load

I've never seen a door-to-door Mormon, though. I don't think that's as big of a thing in the Bible Belt.

Quote:They give me the creepiest fake smiles

You mean like this?

[Image: Book-of-Mormon-Review-2015.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
18-09-2015, 09:26 AM
(18-09-2015 12:04 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  On average, how often does someone leave a religious pamphlet, leaflet or whatever on your door each month, week or year? I just got my...second one I think in the three years I lived at my current location lol.

Its for a Harvest Baptist Temple! ( is that the hell fire denomination? ) I always forget what the deal is with each denomination of all the churches as they all seem to kinda blend together at times since all of them are usually always shoving the same book down your throat all the time!

I can't scan stuff and send it to my computer ( I don't think ) with my printer since its wireless and in the other room. The one I got today was left in my door wedge and is sorta small but thick, made out of shiny paper and the artwork of a tree popping out of a book is quite nice! A lot of stuff went into making this particular card...THEN the bad stuff happens, I flip it over to the other side and what do I get? A nice heart warming message? No!, asking for cans of food for the poor like the last note I got?, No! What I get instead is the same drivel that everyone else talks about.

It opens up with how I can get a ("LULZ!") "Personal" Relationship with jesus!

Then it gives me that oh so classic John 3:16 about how he loves us and then goes really dark to tell me that I am a bad person, everyone is a bad person and we gotta pay for the bad things ( that we never did ) and then demands that I bow down to this imaginary friend of theirs.

Its Romans 6:23, 5:8 and 10L9-13 is what thats on the card if anyone cares enough lol.

Anyone else get stuff like this on their doorstep or have people actually come over?
I think the last time someone showed up, it was mormons and I tried to give them a copy of the God Delusion because I really thought they were in danger and wanted to help them lol...kinda wish they would had taken the book though, it probably really could had helped them!

I would say maybe twice a month. Mostly Baptist. Thou we do get Mormons that come threw our apartments from time to time, they never stop anymore.

A friend of mine (who is Mormon) told me that the temples don't really promote this form of introduction any more. Because they've found it almost never works and it just make's people hate them more.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post