Religious Movies You Still Watch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2015, 04:53 AM
RE: Religious Movies You Still Watch
(14-12-2015 03:47 AM)Blessed_Cheesemaker Wrote:  This may come as a surprise but Life of Brian Smile

Love Dogma and I did actually enjoy Evan Almighty

Sorry, I'll get my coat

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy."

Dogma is a great movie. I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith and grew up a few towns from him so I recognize all his locations (he films a lot in Monmouth County, NJ). My good friend lives in Red Bank in walking distance of his comic book store. I've spent a little time there.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
14-12-2015, 10:11 AM
(13-12-2015 03:42 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  are religious movies you still watch even though you're not a believer?
  • Gladiator (they won't shut up about Elysium)
  • Mad Max: Fury Road (same, about Valhalla)
  • Fight Club (dude's wacky adventures with his imaginary friend, who starts a cult)
But no, other than that, I don't watch overly religious movies, anymore. I got pissed off about the prayer part in Gravity. It seems so stupid and unnecessary.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
14-12-2015, 04:41 PM
This is a bit of a stretch because it's hard to call it a religious movie, it's more of a movie about religious history.

Man For All Season's which is about Thomas More and his battles with the newly created Church of England.

Another movie I love is also about church history so it isn't really "religious" either. Becket. Mostly because I get to look at Peter O'toole's eyes and listen to Richard Burton's voice....and it's especially wonderful to listen to when Richard Burton declares a henchman of Henry II "excommunicate and anathema". It was filmed in some cathedral in England, don't know which one, but his voice is fabulous. I might consider going to church, maybe just one time, if Burton spoke from the pulpit. Jesus christ, that voice!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
14-12-2015, 05:17 PM
(14-12-2015 04:41 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is a bit of a stretch because it's hard to call it a religious movie, it's more of a movie about religious history.

Man For All Season's which is about Thomas More and his battles with the newly created Church of England.

Another movie I love is also about church history so it isn't really "religious" either. Becket. Mostly because I get to look at Peter O'toole's eyes and listen to Richard Burton's voice....and it's especially wonderful to listen to when Richard Burton declares a henchman of Henry II "excommunicate and anathema". It was filmed in some cathedral in England, don't know which one, but his voice is fabulous. I might consider going to church, maybe just one time, if Burton spoke from the pulpit. Jesus christ, that voice!

I've never seen Becket but I LOVES me some Man For All Seasons. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
14-12-2015, 05:19 PM
(13-12-2015 10:30 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 03:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Dogma and Life of Brian are as close as I get...

And they both make my top 10 movies of all time..

Good picks.

I still enjoy The Boondock Saints, but much more so for the eminently quotable dialogue, fun framing device, and a great scenery chewing performance by William Dafoe; than for any agreement with Catholic fueled vigilantism.

[Image: boondock-saints-dafoe-whysoblu.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_n3zfhxK2tC1rnhu6zo1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_n3zfhxK2tC1rnhu6zo3_250.gif]

[Image: 0981934e174d0f0e17d6e4bcc17781190e8e0b3f...d2287f.jpg]

I need to ask my son if I can borrow this from him. I haven't watched it in a while...great movie.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Heavy Metal (you can't tell me that the Loc Nar didn't have religious undertones)

The Nine Gate

The Last Temptation of Chris

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
15-12-2015, 05:57 PM
One of the guys from Suscipe Domine who came over here for a while (sorry, can't think of his username) had a post over there once claiming that Life of Brian, Dogma, and The Last Temptation of Christ were the 3 most blasphemous movies ever made. I had never even heard of Dogma at that time, but I immediately went out and bought the DVD on his "recommendation".