Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"
More Than Meets The Eye by Dr Richard Swenson

This book was given to me by my Father in-law. A devout Christian, but one with understanding that others are different and that not everyone shares the same faith as he.

Let me preface the rest with a little about myself. I am an engineer by day. I love science and I have found it to be the key to life around us. There isn't a question that we just leave unanswered. Sure, many of the questions in the scientific world are unanswered at the moment, but the perseverance and integrity that helps science carry it's merit will eventually reveal the answers we are looking for. Then we will delve deeper for more questions and more answers. This is my "faith" that i follow.

Back to the In-laws. The book came with a note stating that this book has great potential to give me an insight into how science and god work together. "From strings and quarks to black holes and super novas". I was skeptical, read the book.... STILL SKEPTICAL! I know, it's a shocker....

Anyway, let's get on to the point. Has anyone else read this? What were your thoughts?

I'm working to put together a response to my Father In-law and I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have an extreme amount of respect for the man. He truly is a great person, and a role model for me. I do feel like I would like to propose the same situation to him by sending him a book that would be entertaining to me yet non-offensive for him. Any suggestions? I don't want to run straight to "The God Delusion", or "God is not Great" as that would be a bit of a slap to the face.

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions![/b]

Cheers!

P.S. I am new to the forums here, please let me know if there is a category for this type of reading/posts already.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2017, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 09:50 AM by jerry mcmasters.)
RE: Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"
What's the premise of the book? Looks like one of those "Things out there are really amazing, more amazing than we would have expected! Therefore God!"

EDIT: Wasn't there a Jesus book called "More Than Just a Carpenter" a long time ago? Okay, great, a delusional carpenter.
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
01-08-2017, 09:52 AM
My first thought was "Transformers" and think Rev will concur with that thought. Wink Anyhow, people do seem to like these reading threads. Smile Sorry, no advice though.

And yes to Jerry, there was "More Than Just a Carpenter". When I was a grad student, my supervisor one year had a copy of it on his desk 24/7.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
01-08-2017, 09:55 AM
(01-08-2017 09:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What's the premise of the book? Looks like one of those "Things out there are really amazing, more amazing than we would have expected! Therefore God!"

EDIT: Wasn't there a Jesus book called "More Than Just a Carpenter" a long time ago? Okay, great, a delusional carpenter.

Hit the Nail on the head with that Jerry.

Here is the amazon description:

Nature reveals a God who constantly nurtures and sustains His creation―including our own bodies―in ways that we can scarcely comprehend. Discover the wonders of creation and how they reveal a majestic God whose mastery of detail is evident everywhere. Learn to see yourself as God sees you: a treasured creation with whom He desires intimate relationship.

While the book attempts to convey that god and his intelligent design are the center of all things earthen, it lacks the critical assessment and scientific structure to be anything other that opinions of why things are the way they are.
01-08-2017, 09:57 AM
(01-08-2017 09:52 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My first thought was "Transformers"

LOL

JS I don't have any advise either...I would go with unapologetic honesty. "Thanks for the book but I found its main argument very unconvincing. Here's why..."
[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
01-08-2017, 09:58 AM
(01-08-2017 09:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What's the premise of the book? Looks like one of those "Things out there are really amazing, more amazing than we would have expected! Therefore God!"

You think he could pass today's contractors license test?
01-08-2017, 10:00 AM
(01-08-2017 09:57 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 09:52 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My first thought was "Transformers"

LOL

JS I don't have any advise either...I would go with unapologetic honesty. "Thanks for the book but I found its main argument very unconvincing. Here's why..."

That's what the response is looking like for sure. Maybe I'll just go comical and send off "Every day is an Atheist Holiday" From Penn Jilette. Lol.
01-08-2017, 10:42 AM
(01-08-2017 09:52 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And yes to Jerry, there was "More Than Just a Carpenter". When I was a grad student, my supervisor one year had a copy of it on his desk 24/7.

I still have this book on my book shelf. It was given to me 20 odd years ago by a Jehovah's Witness I think... anyway some religious person that came to my door, I never throw books away... Confused

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
01-08-2017, 11:14 AM
(01-08-2017 10:42 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I still have this book on my book shelf. It was given to me 20 odd years ago by a Jehovah's Witness I think... anyway some religious person that came to my door, I never throw books away... Confused

Yeah I think I have seven or eight books that are pure Christian apologetics. It's good practice in spotting logical fallacies (and then wondering if the author uses them on purpose or actually thinks they are good answers...) and it's just kind of fun. I'm a masochist I guess. I remember reading Mere Christianity a long time ago and thinking, wow, this is really deep. Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
01-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Even assuming that there is "more than meets the eye", how could we know anything at all about it? If it interacts with what we can study then it has a demonstrable, measurable effect than can be identified and it does "meet the eye". If it doesn't interact with what we can study then it doesn't matter if it exists or not.

You can't fall back some sort of "I feel it in my heart" position if there is no way to distinguish a real influence from a bit of undigested beef and no way to compare contradicting feelings from somebody with different beliefs. We're back to it being indistinguishable from not existing.

It's nothing more than an elaborate argument from personal incredulity and ignorance just like every other argument for a god.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post