Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2017, 02:34 AM
RE: Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"
(01-08-2017 09:52 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My first thought was "Transformers"
I also thought that Blush

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2017, 04:41 AM
RE: Religious Read "More Than Meets The Eye"
(01-08-2017 09:55 AM)JSorensen827 Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 09:47 AM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  What's the premise of the book? Looks like one of those "Things out there are really amazing, more amazing than we would have expected! Therefore God!"

Hit the Nail on the head with that Jerry.

If the book is indeed a big ole exercise in "argument from incredulity", why no take him aside and have a honest and respectful discussion with your in law? Discuss the fallacy with him, and explain why it is a fallacy (lots of examples from the past will be availiable where once we just coulndt imagine....and now its first grader knowledge). Take your time, get to the point slowly (because just throwing "fallacy" at people will probably rather result in increased resistance).
Explain to him, why you are still sceptical, why you only but can be sceptical , why, while you see the same stuff happening in the universe than he does, you keep your mind more open as to "why" and how all this came about, until you find some better reason than this fallacy before you can believe in a supernatural being.

He will probably reward (if he is the great man you tell us) your efforts to personally engage with him more than just a book recommendation.

Its because, giving those books to read n stuff....to me its kinda passive agressive. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply