Religious Right gains balance of power in Australian Election

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Religious Right gains balance of power in Australian Election
Veteran morals campaigner Rev Fred Nile has won the balance of power in the state of New South Wales, Australia for the Christian Democrat Party. Included in his planned members bill are:
- Banning abortion, or otherwise make it as difficult as possible to obtain.
- Banning alcohol and gambling advertising. I don't disagree with him on this.
- Increasing the legal drinking age from 18-12, whereas probably most kids have their first drink around 16 here. Yep, I was right on the money[1]. So children would would likely just be drinking illegally for longer.
- Banning full face coverings in public. Hrrm. I can't think who this bill might be directed at suppressing.
- Banning X-rated movies.
- And... uhh... authorising the use of the term 'State Senate' for the NSW Upper House, and 'State Senator' for its members. Okay.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-06/fr...ge/6449634

[1] "Young Australians (aged 14–24) have their first full serve of alcohol at 15.7 years on average"
http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/topics/quick-statistics

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: Religious Right gains balance of power in Australian Election
(11-05-2015 05:36 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  - Banning X-rated movies.

clearly the man must be immediately removed from office.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
11-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Is it just me, or are the fundies getting especially desperate these days as they're losing their grip on the younger generations? "Going out with a bang," as I'd say.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
12-05-2015, 12:11 AM
(11-05-2015 09:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  Is it just me, or are the fundies getting especially desperate these days as they're losing their grip on the younger generations? "Going out with a bang," as I'd say.

Going out with a big bang?

[Image: Troll-face.png]

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
12-05-2015, 12:38 AM
(11-05-2015 09:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  losing their grip on the younger generations

Hardly seem to be losing their grip if they can get elected Sad

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-05-2015, 01:35 AM
(12-05-2015 12:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hardly seem to be losing their grip if they can get elected Sad

Voter turnout isn't what it used to be.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-05-2015, 01:38 AM
(12-05-2015 12:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 09:44 PM)cactus Wrote:  losing their grip on the younger generations

Hardly seem to be losing their grip if they can get elected Sad

Oh they have the numbers now but long term they are aging and not being replaced. The further to the right you go the less cheery the outlook based on how the Millennials are breaking.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-05-2015, 08:06 AM
(12-05-2015 01:35 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 12:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hardly seem to be losing their grip if they can get elected Sad
Voter turnout isn't what it used to be.

Voting is mandatory in Australia. The turnout was 90.49% down 2.06% with 3.44% of votes cast as informal[2]. Australia also uses preferential voting, aka "instant run-off" where the voter numbers squares in preference order rather than choosing a single candidate. The election is counted in cycles. Each time the candidate with the least votes is removed and their votes redistributed according to voter preferences to other candidates until there is a result.

There has been a bit of monkeying around with the preferential system in Australia of late, though. Although it is the voter's choice parties will tend to hand out "how to vote" cards that show the preference order the party prefers and many if not most voters will fill out their ballot according to the card. This allows parties to influence who will get the vote should they themselves be eliminated.

This monkeying around is particularly pronounced in senate elections that have too many candidates for most voters to practically consider filling out every square. When there are more than 20 or so candidates available the ballot may contain a list of boxes at the top that act like the how to vote cards. The voter chooses only one of the boxes and the party they chose will explicitly control the preference flow for that vote. Last federal election I myself voted not necessarily for the party I would most prefer to see in power but instead the party that had preference flows I more or less agreed with and could stand behind.

So the monkeying around in senate elections has been parties engineering their preference flows not to go necessarily to sensible next-best major parties, but have tended to put major parties last. Small parties with diametrically opposed views have been directing preferences to each other over larger parties that they are better ideologically aligned to. This has lead to more balance of power situations than in the past where minor parties have been able to wield power... but which minor party will it be? It's anyone's guess. It's pretty much random, and it doesn't reflect the will the people.

So last time my senate vote went to the secular party of Australia. They didn't get into these silly deals, but rather directed their preferences according the answer they received from other parties to a questionnaire that basically boiled down to "how much of a looney toon are you". Funnily enough this was a good basis for directing flows and matched my political views pretty well over all.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_W...tion,_2015
[2] http://www.aec.gov.au/voting/informal_voting/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-05-2015, 04:27 PM
(11-05-2015 05:36 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  - Banning alcohol ...

I have an opportunity to apply for a rotational assignment to the ADF in Canberra for a few years. Guess I won't be applying for it now. I mean what the fuck is this guy thinking? That Aussies should go back to licking cane toads? Or maybe he's licking cane toads.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
12-05-2015, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 05:23 PM by cactus.)
(12-05-2015 12:11 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Going out with a big bang?

PUN ACK-NOWL-EDG-ED!
THE FUN-DA-MEN-TA-LISTS ARE LOSING POWER! YOUR PLANET SOON WILL BELONG TO THE DAAAAALEKS! EARTH WILL BE RECAAAIIIIMED. RECLAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIMED!!!!
[Image: latest?cb=20090205071523]
OUR CAM-PAIGN FIIIII-NAN-CING HAS ALREADY COMMENCED! YOU WILL BE POWERLESS AGAINST OUR IN-TER-GA-LAC-TIC GERRYMANDERIIIIIING! MA-NIP-U-LATE! MAAAA-NIIIP-UUUU-LAAAAAATE!!!!

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post