Religious Sensitivity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Religious Sensitivity
I think one of the big issues currently being caused by religion is that many religions seem to increasingly think that they should be free of anything that they consider 'disrespectful', and the list of such things is just growing and growing. Case in point.

The main one that I find wrong though is the depicting of Muhammad. If Muslims feel that as part of their religion that they shouldn't depict him then that is their choice. I find it ridiculous though that they feel it perfectly right to demand the rest of the non-Islamic world should also have to abide by that part of their religion.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
22-04-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Religious Sensitivity
For those of us in the states: we have a first amendment freedom both in terms of our religious beliefs and on what we say. There are no constitutional protections against being offended.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-04-2014, 11:30 AM
(22-04-2014 11:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  For those of us in the states: we have a first amendment freedom both in terms of our religious beliefs and on what we say. There are no constitutional protections against being offended.

It may not be illegal but you would still likely offend any Muslims who were aware of it if you, for example, depicted Muhammad.

That is what I find galling, that we are expected to stick to certain rules of various faiths. It's not just Islam, many religions now seem to expect even those who don't believe in them not do anything that the religion finds disrespectful. And socially it seems to be less and less acceptable to do anything that risks offending any religion. I find that completely awful.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
22-04-2014, 12:15 PM
(22-04-2014 11:30 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(22-04-2014 11:16 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  For those of us in the states: we have a first amendment freedom both in terms of our religious beliefs and on what we say. There are no constitutional protections against being offended.

It may not be illegal but you would still likely offend any Muslims who were aware of it if you, for example, depicted Muhammad.

That is what I find galling, that we are expected to stick to certain rules of various faiths. It's not just Islam, many religions now seem to expect even those who don't believe in them not do anything that the religion finds disrespectful. And socially it seems to be less and less acceptable to do anything that risks offending any religion. I find that completely awful.

Oh, I agree with you. I wasn't saying that because it's not illegal that it doesn't matter.

I think it basically comes from an understanding that their particular faith is nonfalsifiable, and if they don't extend special privileges to "wrong" faiths, their faith might be in danger of losing those same privileges in the future.
22-04-2014, 12:30 PM
I was thinking about this this weekend, when I was told that wearing my headphones while I slipped in and out of a practically empty church before any ceremonies started for a bathroom break was disrespectful.

I'd love to ask some of these people exactly why they some of these things are disrespectful, and why we should be giving them respect in the first place. As far as I know, that sculpture of a torture victim on the wall hasn't done anything to earn my respect.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
22-04-2014, 02:54 PM
(22-04-2014 12:30 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I was thinking about this this weekend, when I was told that wearing my headphones while I slipped in and out of a practically empty church before any ceremonies started for a bathroom break was disrespectful.

I'd love to ask some of these people exactly why they some of these things are disrespectful, and why we should be giving them respect in the first place. As far as I know, that sculpture of a torture victim on the wall hasn't done anything to earn my respect.

Yabut, it's their house. Simple courtesy and common sense trump ideology and freedom of speech in that case. You are no longer in "the public square". Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-04-2014, 02:58 PM
But, PEOPLE IN AMERICA DON'T FOLLOW THE TEXT OUR NATION IS FOUNDED ON, including every amendment and every constitutional papers.
I bet several thousand people have killed someone over being offended.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-04-2014, 03:18 PM
(22-04-2014 12:30 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I was thinking about this this weekend, when I was told that wearing my headphones while I slipped in and out of a practically empty church before any ceremonies started for a bathroom break was disrespectful.

Hmm... Consider 2 thoughts:

1.) We were in a church ... because...? Dodgy

2.) Not that I wear my plaid jammies, fluffy slippers, and bike helmet to Walmart but ... "When in Rome... " Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
22-04-2014, 04:02 PM
(22-04-2014 02:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, it's their house. Simple courtesy and common sense trump ideology and freedom of speech in that case. You are no longer in "the public square". Drinking Beverage

I'd be fine with it if there was an actual reason for it. But just deciding it out of the blue is like walking into someone's house and them being all "Take off that bracelet, it's disrespectful." "Why?" "Take it off." I'd listen (I did take the headphones off), but it'd still be stupid.

(22-04-2014 03:18 PM)kim Wrote:  Hmm... Consider 2 thoughts:

1.) We were in a church ... because...? Dodgy

2.) Not that I wear my plaid jammies, fluffy slippers, and bike helmet to Walmart but ... "When in Rome... " Wink

They were getting food blessed. Because on every other day God can just bless your food at the table, but on the day before Easter I guess he goes back into the tomb for a nap or something. I stayed in the car while the ceremony went on, but I'd been in said car for a couple hours and needed a restroom.
22-04-2014, 04:57 PM
(22-04-2014 11:08 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think one of the big issues currently being caused by religion is that many religions seem to increasingly think that they should be free of anything that they consider 'disrespectful', and the list of such things is just growing and growing. Case in point.

The main one that I find wrong though is the depicting of Muhammad. If Muslims feel that as part of their religion that they shouldn't depict him then that is their choice. I find it ridiculous though that they feel it perfectly right to demand the rest of the non-Islamic world should also have to abide by that part of their religion.

I think that people should be treated with dignity but ideas should not. There should be no idea that is exempt from criticism. Attacking an idea is not the same as attacking a person.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick