Religious Sensitivity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2014, 05:11 PM
RE: Religious Sensitivity
In Ireland we have a ridiculous blasphemy law, which makes "Publication or utterance of blasphemous matter" an offence. The law has never been enforced in recent times but has been applauded by Muslim groups. That's a worry because they are so sensitive to criticism, that they may actually take a case to court. Attempts are being made to have the law amended or removed from the constitution by civil rights groups and Atheist Ireland.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
22-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
22-04-2014, 11:23 PM
@ Religion

[Image: h2941AF54]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-04-2014, 03:45 PM
I did a thread on this topic too. Religious people don't want respect, they want a free pass, and the fact that religion is actually quite often allowed a free pass is bullshit. Religious beliefs should be just as open to criticism as political beliefs are, or anything else that people have opinions on.

What I find incredibly ridiculous is that we are giving special treatment to an institution that claims some people are more special than others, and that at least two-thirds of the people on the planet are merely expendables. If you claim that your particular religion is right, then you are also claiming that all other faiths are wrong, therefore it is blatantly implied that you are more special than others because you were brought up to believe in the "right" religion. Yet, nobody seems to find that whole principle to be arrogant or offensive. However, when somebody criticizes this incredibly arrogant institution we call religion, they get lambasted for daring to do such a thing. The hypocrisy of this truly boggles my mind.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 6 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
23-04-2014, 06:01 PM
(22-04-2014 11:08 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think one of the big issues currently being caused by religion is that many religions seem to increasingly think that they should be free of anything that they consider 'disrespectful', and the list of such things is just growing and growing. Case in point.

The main one that I find wrong though is the depicting of Muhammad. If Muslims feel that as part of their religion that they shouldn't depict him then that is their choice. I find it ridiculous though that they feel it perfectly right to demand the rest of the non-Islamic world should also have to abide by that part of their religion.

Don't they all do that to one degree or another? I know I have friends who insist on bombarding people with their religious beliefs under an assumed freedom of expression. They expect their religion to be tolerated but reserve the right to slam the other guy's religion. Personally, I'm to the point none of them are worth a damn.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-04-2014, 09:41 PM
(23-04-2014 03:45 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Religious people don't want respect, they want a free pass, and the fact that religion is actually quite often allowed a free pass is bullshit. Religious beliefs should be just as open to criticism as political beliefs are, or anything else that people have opinions on.

So. Much. This. Thumbsup

I don't think the issue is that people are insensitive towards certain religions. I think the issue is that most people are ridiculously over sensitive when it comes to their own religion. They can't see the forest through the trees, and most of those who claim to are only doing so to avoid being seen as a bigots.

It's not genuine tolerance, it's just PR.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
25-04-2014, 05:25 PM
It's one thing to be offended, but it's another to indignantly expect others to simply never raise a finger of criticism and follow your quaint set of very specific rules. I'm offended whenever an ultraconservative right wing fuckwit says something absolutely appalling, but I totally expected them to do something like that. What should I have expected? For them to be reasonable and tolerant of others? What a fucking joke!

You can't really "force" any type of expectations unless you're within their private domain (although we tend to instinctively abide to acceptable social behavior guidelines, which is subtly coercive, but is generally enforced by everyone instead of a particular group). In the public sphere, you simply have to accept the fact that people are going to say things that offend you. Doesn't mean you should stop being offended, be offended to your heart's content, but don't try to bully legislation in that gives an extra-special shield from criticism for your particular religious beliefs. And for fuck's sake, don't kill them for it either.

[Image: giphy.gif]
27-04-2014, 01:08 AM

Freedom of speech needs to remain to allow for growth. What troubles me is when freedom of speech does not exist it seems to stifle intelligent and interesting conversation rather than stupidity like killing women for sleeping with some guy or killing another religious person. Freedom of speech allows for stupid speech to stand against intelligent ones and in our society the stupid speech is constantly losing ground. That is why I feel the religious want to curb free speech because it allows for questions, it allows for curiosity and the most dangerous for religion is that it allows humans to truly wonder out loud and search for that answer.

As for the video. We wouldn't have funny things like this if Mormons made a world theocracy and I cannot allow this to happen. Any theocracy I believe would stifle free speech and that is a crime we can't let happen.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
29-04-2014, 12:26 PM
The problem is that people only look at one side of the issue. The unavoidable inverse is the silencing of people whose thoughts, views, or opinions are felt to be insensitive or offensive.
29-04-2014, 04:07 PM
(29-04-2014 12:26 PM)djhall Wrote:  The problem is that people only look at one side of the issue. The unavoidable inverse is the silencing of people whose thoughts, views, or opinions are felt to be insensitive or offensive.

I sometimes wonder that myself. How long until a politician claims that political views are just as personal as religious ones and should be protected just as much? Of course, they would only apply it to views that aligned with their own.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.