Religious Training of Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 06:53 AM

Religious Training of Children
I watched some of the most enthusiastic and engaged high school students this week, as they eagerly contributed in class discussion. They talked at length about literature and I was really impressed by the amount of focused thinking I was seeing.

And this was happening at a private boarding school.

I've seen public school students just as committed and working just as hard, but they were the exception there... not the rule.

So, imagine my confusion when I saw these eager, inquisitive, enthusiastic minds shut down and accept the religious precepts that were laid down by the teacher in a class about Milton's "Paradise Lost." Swallowed whole were the arguments that God gives us free will in order to choose to love him, and how God has no choice but to damn those who choose otherwise.

It was heartbreaking to me to see these kids, so hard working and clearly devoted to their own education, having a blind spot for thinking critically about faith matter drilled into their heads. Worse yet, I extrapolated how many young people like these exist worldwide. How can we possibly hope to see the shackles of religion fall off when they're being forged onto the necks and wrists of children?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dave from PA's post
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM
RE: Religious Training of Children
(03-10-2011 06:53 AM)Dave from PA Wrote:  I watched some of the most enthusiastic and engaged high school students this week, as they eagerly contributed in class discussion. They talked at length about literature and I was really impressed by the amount of focused thinking I was seeing.

And this was happening at a private boarding school.

I've seen public school students just as committed and working just as hard, but they were the exception there... not the rule.

So, imagine my confusion when I saw these eager, inquisitive, enthusiastic minds shut down and accept the religious precepts that were laid down by the teacher in a class about Milton's "Paradise Lost." Swallowed whole were the arguments that God gives us free will in order to choose to love him, and how God has no choice but to damn those who choose otherwise.

It was heartbreaking to me to see these kids, so hard working and clearly devoted to their own education, having a blind spot for thinking critically about faith matter drilled into their heads. Worse yet, I extrapolated how many young people like these exist worldwide. How can we possibly hope to see the shackles of religion fall off when they're being forged onto the necks and wrists of children?

It's a slow progress unfortunately but it's getting there. My friend is the one of the smartest people in our year but she is so ignorant on other religion and her self is shackled by religion(Islam)

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 07:36 AM
RE: Religious Training of Children
Tis instances such as these that make my blood boil. I will not sit by while this happens. Parents really don't like it when I teach their kids about evolution. They rant and rave and pop veins in their necks while I stay calm and reply with comments like "So you're saying that your kid should learn from the bible? Interesting because the last time I checked the bible it seemd like learning how to beat one's slave was an immoral thing. Buy HEY! What do I knnow? I'm just the guy who's holding up the intellectual side of this conversation."

Funny enough, the kids want to learn more from me and not the bible or there parents. I do love watching the excuses for parents flop around in rage at me.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post