Religious Trauma Syndrome(RTS)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Religious Trauma Syndrome(RTS)
I recently came across this "diagnosis" on youtube, and found it quite interesting. Mostly becasue it was something that was prevalent in my life. Anyone else care to share their experiences? I think i had some social anxiety prior to religion becoming integral in my life, however, religion only heightened my state. I felt a cloud over my mind and life nearly everyday. It was one of the darkest times of my life between the ages of 14-23.

Hopefully Seth does a podcast on thisSmile.

This is the video I began with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id70RLR4GeE

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like djgenx7's post
01-08-2011, 08:47 PM
RE: Religious Trauma Syndrome(RTS)
another good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxS2LzLPAM&NR=1

Kinda surprised nobody has commented on this. Are people aware of this?

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”
01-08-2011, 09:04 PM
(01-08-2011 08:47 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  Kinda surprised nobody has commented on this. Are people aware of this?

I kept trying to come up with a PTRD (Post Traumatic Religious Disorder) joke as a response, but I couldn't find one funny enough to post.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM

If you've never heard of Rich Lyons (spelling?) and his podcast with his significant other Deana Joy Lyons called "Living After Faith" or "LAF", you should check them out. They talk about PTSD resulting from religion and religious upbringing and Rich himself suffered with PTSD, or "RTS", for a while.

Here is the RSS feed to his podcast. He talks about PTSD in a couple episodes (6 and 9). It's a decent podcast, although not really my favorite, but it might offer some insight into the condition or an avenue for others who are seeking help or may not even know they are suffering from PTSD.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/LivingAfterFaith
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2011, 05:44 PM
This sort of thing is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you for posting the videos...and the podcast too!

I've been realizing lately as I've been breaking away, just how deep rooted my religious upbringing is. It's very hard.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
14-08-2011, 07:04 AM
(30-07-2011 06:58 AM)djgenx7 Wrote:  I recently came across this "diagnosis" on youtube, and found it quite interesting. Mostly becasue it was something that was prevalent in my life. Anyone else care to share their experiences? I think i had some social anxiety prior to religion becoming integral in my life, however, religion only heightened my state. I felt a cloud over my mind and life nearly everyday. It was one of the darkest times of my life between the ages of 14-23.

Hopefully Seth does a podcast on thisSmile.

This is the video I began with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id70RLR4GeE

Hey diginex, thankyou so much for telling me about RTS. I ended up on Marlene Winell's website, http://www.marlenewinell.net/, and I downloaded her book "Leaving the Fold" and, wow! Did she help me get a new understanding of fundamentalist Christian America! I thought I had my head around this topic, but this book threw new perspectives on it for me, so thankyou thankyou!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
22-03-2012, 02:05 PM
I was just about to open a new thread and I was going to be so proud of the topic and expected to create lots and lots of great, positive discussion. And then silly me decided to search to see if there was a prior thread.

Yup. Exact same title.

Only my first post on my thread-that-would-have-been, would have been this:

Just recently I started listening to the Living After Faith podcasts after host, Rich Lyons, was on Seth's 2/29/12 podcast (I think). I immediately identified with Rich because he was also a pastor turned atheist, and he began to talk about the effect religion had on him emotionally, sexually, and mentally. It was like he was describing my own pain, right there through the podcast speakers.

I've already deduced that the depression and anxiety I've been aggressively treating for many months now has had some great influence from leaving religion. But I don't think I've realized the deep, deep level of devastation religion has wreaked upon my entire being. I'm having a tough time because I haven't realized that I really am in the middle of starting the rebuilding of who I am from scratch.

So, this is all narcissistic dribble to serve as pre-amble for the discussion topic I want to introduce.

All this has recently lead me into the psychological side of spiritual abuse from fundamentalist indoctrination. I came upon the term Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS). I found it fascinating to consider. Is there an actual psychological syndrome caused by believing in God for too long? I don't know that this is being propagated outside of this Dr. Marlene Winell, but I certainly can look at her lists of effects and symptoms and I could probably check of 95% of the list. The last one was "extreme antisocial behavior, including homicide." If she hadn't included homicide, I could have qualified for 100% of all the symptoms. Big Grin

I'm curious what others might think who either have or haven't experienced what might be called Religious Trauma Syndrome.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-03-2012, 10:10 PM
WOW!!! this is mind blowing, never heard of this... I think I had that some time ago, or not, one can never do a proper self diagnose.

I remember I used to pray for god to kill me right after I went out of church, that would be a a sure way to go to heaven. That's messed up big time! it's weird how they can fuck one mind with that shit Confused

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post