Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS). The damage of religious belief

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS). The damage of religious belief
A new pathology that is now officially recognized in the latest DSM (the diagnostics manual for mental health professionals) is RTS. Religion can and does often cause harm, and we are becoming more and more aware, and more and more vocal.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/religiou...-problems/

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-07-2015, 07:55 PM
RE: Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS). The damage of religious belief
I went through some of this, I grew up in a fundamentalist household and then was educated in Christian apologetics in a private Christian school. My life-long friend went the same path, he is terminally bound to this toxic belief that includes rejection of scientific knowledge. Scientists are "secular" and they don't consider the bible to be the Truth, so they can't be trusted.

The cognitive dissonance eventually became too much, I refused to swallow the turd sandwich of creationism, so I left the religion.

My life-long friend did not; however, he remains a young Earth creationist. We had some vicious back and forths on Facebook until he thought being an asshole for Jesus was what he needed to do and started to pm my family members with his asshole for Jesus nonsense. That's when I told him to fuck off, I wish he could've learned to be reasonable, but he's a terminally damaged case of willful ignorance. We simply have nothing to talk about until he drops the asshole for Jesus act and apologizes for his behavior.

Probably won't be friends with Jesus Asshole ever again, good riddance! Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-07-2015, 08:23 PM
(06-07-2015 07:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A new pathology that is now officially recognized in the latest DSM (the diagnostics manual for mental health professionals) is RTS. Religion can and does often cause harm, and we are becoming more and more aware, and more and more vocal.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/religiou...-problems/

Well, yeah.

This is why I was never religious. Smartass

Tongue

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
06-07-2015, 09:41 PM
(06-07-2015 07:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I went through some of this, I grew up in a fundamentalist household and then was educated in Christian apologetics in a private Christian school. My life-long friend went the same path, he is terminally bound to this toxic belief that includes rejection of scientific knowledge. Scientists are "secular" and they don't consider the bible to be the Truth, so they can't be trusted.

The cognitive dissonance eventually became too much, I refused to swallow the turd sandwich of creationism, so I left the religion.

My life-long friend did not; however, he remains a young Earth creationist. We had some vicious back and forths on Facebook until he thought being an asshole for Jesus was what he needed to do and started to pm my family members with his asshole for Jesus nonsense. That's when I told him to fuck off, I wish he could've learned to be reasonable, but he's a terminally damaged case of willful ignorance. We simply have nothing to talk about until he drops the asshole for Jesus act and apologizes for his behavior.

Probably won't be friends with Jesus Asshole ever again, good riddance! Thumbsup

You know my brother????? Gasp

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
06-07-2015, 10:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2015 10:48 PM by cactus.)
I've never experienced anything I'd consider "traumatic," but I feel like my religious upbringing has definitely had a negative psychological impact on me, especially in regard to the way that I interact with my family. The effects weren't noticeable until after I realized I was an atheist. Now every time I talk with my parents, I don't feel like I'm having a real conversation, so much as I'm trying to manipulate their feelings toward me and micro-manage every little detail about how they're going to perceive me. I feel like religion has conditioned me to have an irrational fear of rejection from my family, and that any minute detail about my life could somehow give away the fact that I was never really a believer.

Even the slightest bit of questioning from my parents about the most insignificant thing, like "Oh, you bought a shelf for your DVDs?... so what kind of movies do you like to watch?" will put me into full-on panic mode. (uh oh, time to hide all my PG-13 and R-rated movies in the filing cabinet again, along with that coffee mug I bought from the natural history museum, so they won't think to bring up the topic of evolution. Ok, my Bible is in a visible location on top of the C++ book... no, how about underneath, so they won't see it right away or think to ask if I've read it recently. Oh shit, this t-shirt, they know I bought it when I was at that music festival last year with my friend who they know is an atheist, guess I'd better hide that, too, so they won't think to ask about him). I'm in my mid 20s, FFS. Most of the people in my family have known for years that I don't go to church. I don't even know why I still get this paranoid. Frusty

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
07-07-2015, 03:45 AM
*sigh* more appeals to morality... I thought you guys were opposed to logical fallacies?

Truth seeker.
07-07-2015, 03:55 AM
I'm do glad this is a diagnosis for this. I have 2 cousins that grew up in a cult. When I say cult I mean cult!!! I don't know what it is called but they both thankfully got out.

But one of my cousins is still having issues with what she went through and she still thinks of her parents as awesome. (They are nuttier then a fruit cake, my aunt gas been in the loony bin 3 times and is able to have a license to carry a gun. Yep government thinks she can have a gun.) Anyway I feel for her so much as she us still thinking a lot like what this cult taught them.

My other cousin severed ties with all of them including her parents. Thus was after they followed her and her husband while she was pregnant to a restaurant and preceded to tell her why is nothing but scum. Caused a huge scene and embarrassed my cousin.

I hope that my cousin can get away from the looniness of her parents. I'll see about sending thus article to my one cousin and she can share it with her sister. Thanks so much
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
07-07-2015, 04:00 AM
(07-07-2015 03:45 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  *sigh* more appeals to morality... I thought you guys were opposed to logical fallacies?

*sigh* ...I thought you'd left to troll greener pastures elsewhere.

New forum members, meet dildo.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
07-07-2015, 04:02 AM
(07-07-2015 04:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 03:45 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  *sigh* more appeals to morality... I thought you guys were opposed to logical fallacies?

Heh I ignored him. Lol
[+] 2 users Like purpledaisies's post
07-07-2015, 04:05 AM
(07-07-2015 04:00 AM)Nurse Wrote:  

So like you guys to completely disregard all points put forward and call me a troll... Dodgy

Truth seeker.
[+] 1 user Likes diddo97's post