Religious about music: Confessions of a shameless plugger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Religious about music: Confessions of a shameless plugger
As you know, I'm not religious, I'm not very passionate about religion and not even about atheism. I have a laid-back attitude on exactitude of fact and instant provability and see everything in relative terms and higher contexts. Not what you'd hear from your average pastor or unbeliever activist. Nope, you're going to hear quite different things from me. If you play the videos, of course.

Yet I show many disturbing signs of religiosity. It just isn't about God, it's about music. There are many similarities.

I suffered for my music from the hands of shameful heathens listening to their major key lyrics-ful short 3-minute blasphemies. Seriously, people, calm down, chill out!
[Image: ambient.jpg]

I feel a strange urge to make others listen to my music, even if they don't like it so much or even have a music of their own.

When they point out what they don't like in my music, I have tendencies to get all apologetic and defensive, praising the mysterious beginnings in the jungles and beaches of the state of Goa back in the 90's.

I suggest if perhaps they tried it more without being so critical, they would get used to it, start to like it and join me in the holy communion of iPod content sharing. (for which I'll likely suffer more persecution from recording industry inquisitors)

The music is there to comfort me, or to rally me up into action and give some truly mindblowing transcendental experiences. If I ever drank anything or smoked anything to get high, I don't have to anymore.

Other people's music does not do anything to me, or it uses wrong keys, wrong amounts of rhythm and melody, deviating of the only true pattern, the only true way to compose. Can't they hear it, how wrong they are?

It is said that gods and religions are made to reflect the image of the people. That's why people are so sensitive about them. Similarly, my music is made to reflect my personality, which is, like God, quite out of this world.

This is why comments about my music are taken very personally and literally and I suddenly have a new, more positive outlook on the national Muslim sports. But I control myself and rather undercover infiltrate decent people's parties until I get to the place of power - the loudspeaker set where I can hook my iPod and take over the freedom of music.
(just kidding and grossly exaggerating on this paragraph, I don't even have an iPod)

My God... pardon, my music strictly insists on certain fundamental dogmas that I make no compromises about.
It's strictly melancholic, mostly in minor keys. Not necessarily sad, but all range of emotions in melancholic undertone. It's a complete spectrum of melancholy.

It's extremely predictable, the mood never changes and there is a steady rhythm, usually 4/4.
There is almost no place for sinful humanity in it, relatively little lyrics. Very few bands of people playing and singing.

That is the basis. Now this music divides into cults of extremely complex lotus-eating multi-layered psychedelic ear-candy, or it can be very simple minimalistic ambient soundscape. It can be very slow (beatless) up to 140 bpm. Sometimes in a single track.

There are some separate sects led by guitarist Mike Oldfield and pianist Dax Johnson, but they fit in the neighbourhood because of bowing to the fundamental melancholy of D minor. Also, Mike's the worshipped prophet of all this, with his distinct melancholic style.

Besides melancholy and structure, there is another dimension, normality vs. bizarreness. On the top there are nice and positive semi-ethnic or new agey albums for the public to see.

But inside it goes more orthodox about mandatory chittering quirky high-pitched SFX that no unbe... outsider can understand and properly appreciate.

The bizarreness goes even more into the fundamentalistic extreme. As in many religions, there are dark and bizarre acts going on undercover, such as the wickedness of German underground industrial/tribal mix quoting Baudelaire and Lovecraft, or sinister madness of amateur avantgarde music of a certain Canadian graphical digital artist, sometimes composed in state of insomnia. (not online anymore) If the good jazz and hip-hop-listening folks in neighbourhood knew, they'd probably get some torches and pitchforks, to purge the world of this sick stuff.

I do threaten the separation of Church and State. My love of Swedish music led me to the Pirate party, which I believe should rule the world together with the Swedish Church of Kopimismen (Copyists). We also shall nationally celebrate the 3rd September as the day of St. Napster's martyrdom.

Therefore, as one carpenter said, first I should take a plank out of my eye, before I try to pick a splinter out of someone else's eye. First I should check if I'm not religious myself, before pointing out someone else's fanaticism. Dammit! You can trust me, it's quite unpleasant to exercise other people's freedoms, such as freedom not to listen to psychedelic ambient music, even if it would make them reach enlightenment several incarnations sooner.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply