Religious concerns regarding "Avatar"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2010, 10:07 AM
RE: Religious concerns regarding "Avatar"
I don't remember anybody freaking out when "All Dogs Go To Heaven" came out. Wonder why that is?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2010, 10:11 AM
(31-08-2010 11:04 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Is this anything more than paranoid delusions and intolerance of other ideas?

That´s religion for yah!

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
22-09-2010, 05:26 AM
People were upset because of the Na'vi religion? I was upset because I paid like fifteen bucks to see the movie in 3D and it was terrible.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
09-10-2010, 02:41 AM

(08-09-2010 06:41 AM)dtwpuck Wrote:  Wow, a movie that borrows a precept from a previous:

1. artist
2. philosophy
3. movie

That's unheard of. Simply shocking.

When are people going to learn that art is almost always a commentary on previous work. In the case of Avatar, it's Pocohontas. Or Hinduism. Or something else equally hokey.

As Prior Walter said... 'It's all been done before'.

ya agree with you..
Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2010, 05:32 PM

(31-08-2010 11:04 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  What is seen in "Avatar" is apparently a sort of pan-theism, comparable to some native American beliefs ("Dances with Wolves") or "the force" in "Star Wars". Apparently, the catholic church considers it dangerous for movies to offer such a philosophy to movie-goers. Some Hindus evidently are upset because the pan-theism portrayed in the movie "Avatar" borrows too much from their belief system!!

Does anyone think that there's some basis for the concerns of these religious believers? Is this anything more than paranoid delusions and intolerance of other ideas?
I always adore when the Catholic church, after having manifest a history that would permit it's Pope to wade at least chest deep in the blood that wrote it, takes animated features as a threat to their tenets. It shows me how weak they are, and how very well aware they're selling slavery to a lie. While anything that even in pixel form, may be interpreted to free the slaves from the confines of self-deprecating real life cults, is seen as competition for the fictional soul of the faithful.

Jesus died to take away the worlds sins, but there's still sin in the world. A miserable failure, telling sheep if they but believed in him he would save them from himself, who set the curse of sin upon them in the first place, was tacked to trees sacrificed for no good reason.
I do know where Hell is.
Italy. Crafted in finest marble, bedecked with golden idols, erected atop a pagan cemetery, managed by gelded minds, frigid wombs and enabled pedophiles.
Allegory, is everything.
28-10-2010, 11:11 PM
(08-09-2010 06:41 AM)dtwpuck Wrote:  Wow, a movie that borrows a precept from a previous:

1. artist
2. philosophy
3. movie

That's unheard of. Simply shocking.

When are people going to learn that art is almost always a commentary on previous work. In the case of Avatar, it's Pocohontas. Or Hinduism. Or something else equally hokey.

As Prior Walter said... 'It's all been done before'.

I think Avatar follows the story of Fern Gully.An animated movie with the same premise. Nice nature , evil human want destroy nature , good human help protect nature. Good human join bizarre creatures.

As for religious people , they get scared any time people change priorities.
Forget the environment , come worship Jesus.
29-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Am I the only one here who saw Avatar just because its visuals make you shit your pants?
29-10-2010, 03:44 PM
(29-10-2010 02:12 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Am I the only one here who saw Avatar just because its visuals make you shit your pants?

Yes, probably you are. I went to see Avatar just because of the 3D stuff, but I didn't shit my pants. And the 3D technology still needs some improvements, the movie screen edges were blurry.
I don't get the whole ''Avatar boom'', the main storyline seemed kinda classic.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
29-10-2010, 06:43 PM

(29-10-2010 02:12 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Am I the only one here who saw Avatar just because its visuals make you shit your pants?
No.
29-10-2010, 10:45 PM

I went for the visuals, too. I think you are using creative exaggeration about shitting ones pants, though.