Religious concerns regarding "Avatar"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Religious concerns regarding "Avatar"
What is seen in "Avatar" is apparently a sort of pan-theism, comparable to some native American beliefs ("Dances with Wolves") or "the force" in "Star Wars". Apparently, the catholic church considers it dangerous for movies to offer such a philosophy to movie-goers. Some Hindus evidently are upset because the pan-theism portrayed in the movie "Avatar" borrows too much from their belief system!!

Does anyone think that there's some basis for the concerns of these religious believers? Is this anything more than paranoid delusions and intolerance of other ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2010, 11:20 AM
RE: Religious concerns regarding "Avatar"
No.

People get upset when anyone talks about their religious beliefs (or even something vaguely resembling their religious beliefs) in a less-than-reverent manner. These guys are just overreacting.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 01:00 AM
(31-08-2010 11:20 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  No.

People get upset when anyone talks about their religious beliefs (or even something vaguely resembling their religious beliefs) in a less-than-reverent manner. These guys are just overreacting.

And every over-reaction creates an equal and opposite over-reaction.

It is an evolutionary trait to be disturbed when you see someone over-react. That is why when you scare one animal in a group they all bolt almost in unison. It is also why good acting can draw you into a movie.

Grab some popcorn, sit back and watch religious people fly off the handle every time some one pushes their buttons. You won't have long to wait.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 03:51 AM

I actually like the fact that they are angered over it. maybe when nothing happens, it will take a little of the wind out of their sails and desensitize them some.

The problem with theism is the arrogance of it all. Like everything here was created for them or something....
07-09-2010, 01:28 AM
I believe there are few films which do not contain something likely to offend the believers of some religion or other. Deep down, they are insecure about their beliefs and they don't like those insecurities to be re-inforced, even if it's only fiction. In fact, it bothers them more if what they perceive as a threat is found in fiction; after all, their entire belief system is based on little more than that. Fiction, to them, often equals reality, because they are unable to tell the difference between the two.

Quote:What is seen in "Avatar" is apparently a sort of pan-theism, comparable to some native American beliefs ("Dances with Wolves") or "the force" in "Star Wars".

What is seen in Avatar is a major-league ripoff. The only ones who are entitled to feel offended are those who realize this.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2010, 08:20 PM
I loved loved loved Avatar! Screw all those people!
People always find something offensive in a movie that actually says something. They always have something to wail about. I remember all the hulabaloo over the first Harry Potter BOOK. I wrote a fairly articulate letter to our local paper that got published about the good morals that the book illustrated and how C.S. Lewis, a Christian, also used magic and mythical creatures in his Narnia series to illustrate the same values. I live in a real Bible-beating town and I was surprised at the number of people that went out of their way to congratulate me on a letter well-written!
07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Quote:I live in a real Bible-beating town and I was surprised at the number of people that went out of their way to congratulate me on a letter well-written!

I may be fooling myself here but it is my experience that most people have more common sense than we all wish to give our fellow humans credit for. A lot of the more ridiculous comments that get thrown out about movies, about politics, etc. are generally by people with some other agenda who may not necessarily believe the crap they are spewing. Not in all cases, but, I think, in many. The hoopla over Avatar and the Harry Potter books are prime examples of this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 06:41 AM

Wow, a movie that borrows a precept from a previous:

1. artist
2. philosophy
3. movie

That's unheard of. Simply shocking.

When are people going to learn that art is almost always a commentary on previous work. In the case of Avatar, it's Pocohontas. Or Hinduism. Or something else equally hokey.

As Prior Walter said... 'It's all been done before'.
09-09-2010, 03:42 AM

(07-09-2010 08:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  I may be fooling myself here but it is my experience that most people have more common sense than we all wish to give our fellow humans credit for. A lot of the more ridiculous comments that get thrown out about movies, about politics, etc. are generally by people with some other agenda who may not necessarily believe the crap they are spewing. Not in all cases, but, I think, in many. The hoopla over Avatar and the Harry Potter books are prime examples of this.
You may be right, but in most of the things I've seen regarding Avatar (and Harry Potter), the complaints are being voiced by people who likely DO believe that their religious beliefs have been offended by these movies. They certainly have a religious agenda, but I don't think they'd be critical of the movies in these terms without those religious beliefs. In other words, this isn't just playing 'devil's advocate' (pun intended) but a sincere statement of their concern for the perceived religious overtones in the movies.
09-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Yes, there are people who legitimate complain but they are an overwhelming minority. Remember I said "most" people. Not all people.

btw, speaking of movies, you may want to watch "Jesus Camp". Interesting, and scary, movie and it is filled with people who were actually offended by Harry Potter.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Movies with Random and Unexpected Religious Themes (Spoilers Welcome) Skeptic Gamer 20 639 02-01-2014 10:13 AM
Last Post: Skeptic Gamer