Religious ecstasy and the calling down of the Holy Spirit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Religious ecstasy and the calling down of the Holy Spirit
Hi guys, newbie here, wondering if any converts have experienced religious ecstasy in the past and wish to share those stories. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ecstasy)
My story: I'm 20 years old living in the uk. I was brought up in a family who didn't consider themselves as religious. However, due to enrolment into scouts and youth groups, I came to believing in God from around 10 years old. I regularly attended youth groups up until I was around 17.
When I was 15/16 I went to Soul Survivor, a biiiig Christian festival style weekend event. During the evenings a huge gathering of everyone at the festival (around 10,000 people) was held in a giant marquee with a centre stage. There were the usual hymns, songs and Christian rock performed by a band during the evening.
However nearing the end Mike Pilavachi, the main speaker, called on the Holy Spirit to "fill those with feelings of loss and sadness happiness and grace". Many people soon began to speak "in tounges" and some fainted etc. Having recently felt loss of a very close member of the family I "tried" to contact the Holy Spirit aswell.
All I remember after that is closing my eyes and waking after having a strange lucid dream of me seeing myself in 3rd person apologising to nothing (everything was white). I then proceeded to cry uncontrollably. I mean a real cry your heart out cry.
After I'd calmed I felt a bit better ( apart from exhaustion from emotional trauma) and found I had been "out" for over 30mins.I also found had large carpet burns on the backs of my arms and upper back where I had been apparently shaking the entire time.

It was a very strange experience. Hard to understand and hard to explain. it's kept me from being able to think of myself as a gnostic athiest due to lack of understand what on earth biologically/spiritually/whatever happend.

Sorry about the extreme length of the post.
I hope some of you might share some stories on here and how it's effected you post conversion to atheism.
<3 Thall
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Religious ecstasy and the calling down of the Holy Spirit
(24-03-2014 06:19 AM)Thall Wrote:  Hi guys, newbie here, wondering if any converts have experienced religious ecstasy in the past and wish to share those stories. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_ecstasy)
My story: I'm 20 years old living in the uk. I was brought up in a family who didn't consider themselves as religious. However, due to enrolment into scouts and youth groups, I came to believing in God from around 10 years old. I regularly attended youth groups up until I was around 17.
When I was 15/16 I went to Soul Survivor, a biiiig Christian festival style weekend event. During the evenings a huge gathering of everyone at the festival (around 10,000 people) was held in a giant marquee with a centre stage. There were the usual hymns, songs and Christian rock performed by a band during the evening.
However nearing the end Mike Pilavachi, the main speaker, called on the Holy Spirit to "fill those with feelings of loss and sadness happiness and grace". Many people soon began to speak "in tounges" and some fainted etc. Having recently felt loss of a very close member of the family I "tried" to contact the Holy Spirit aswell.
All I remember after that is closing my eyes and waking after having a strange lucid dream of me seeing myself in 3rd person apologising to nothing (everything was white). I then proceeded to cry uncontrollably. I mean a real cry your heart out cry.
After I'd calmed I felt a bit better ( apart from exhaustion from emotional trauma) and found I had been "out" for over 30mins.I also found had large carpet burns on the backs of my arms and upper back where I had been apparently shaking the entire time.

It was a very strange experience. Hard to understand and hard to explain. it's kept me from being able to think of myself as a gnostic athiest due to lack of understand what on earth biologically/spiritually/whatever happend.

Sorry about the extreme length of the post.
I hope some of you might share some stories on here and how it's effected you post conversion to atheism.
<3 Thall

[Image: il_340x270.511038570_m7g2.jpg]

You should write a MUCH better story for carpet burns. I mean you could have had a field day with that.
Meanwhile
http://www.icsahome.com/elibrary/faqs

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
24-03-2014, 06:59 AM
I don't have the links, but I'm sure others here do (hopefully they will post), about the effects of a powerful religious experience. IIRC it involves adrenaline and other hormones flooding the brain and leaving the person with very 'physical' sensations of a profound spiritual experience.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
24-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Could have been a number of things.... Ecstasy, fear, panic.

When I was 7 I visited my grandfather in hospital... It was one of the most frightening moments of my life.

Granddad was awake and talking, but he was wired to all these machines and with tubes coming out of his stomach. There was is brown gunk passing through the tubes into a tank. All the machines kept bleeping and alarms going off...

There was a man who was severely mentally ill who kept screaming in the corner. And everywhere was that hospital smell... of disinfectant and strong chemicals.

I remember feeling afraid, and close to panic... Until suddenly everything was silent, and all the colour drained out of the room until it was pure, brilliant white. I felt like I was flying, and could hear strange whispering sounds.

I woke up a few minutes later being carried across the car-park. I'd completely passed out with it.

Ever since, I get an enormous sense of foreboding and dread around hospitals.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2014, 06:09 PM
I just call it waking up in the morning.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-03-2014, 08:19 PM
I don't have the links either but I wouldn't consider it necessarily "hard to explain." Many church services and religion-oriented festivals set the mood for and encourage such things, and when people see others around them engaging in such behavior, they sometimes experience altered states of consciousness. Music and chanting may be involved. I had a college roommate who was so into the "high" she got from church that she started freaking out like she was having drug withdrawals if she attended church fewer than 3 times a week. So it's apparent that something neurochemical was going on.

I would say that a lot of people have extreme emotional reactions for a lot of reasons. Watch some old footage of young girls attending Beatles concerts, and it looks just like church videos, except for the speaking in tongues. People crying and reacting emotionally.

If you are interested in possible reasons, I would suggest googling something like "debunking religious experience."

Even if you had some kind of "spiritual" experience, I don't see how that would mean it is necessarily the Christian god, or a god at all, so I can never understand why people who had "religious experiences" contribute them to their deity of choice, except that that's the deity they are biased toward. That, and you can't trust your senses all the time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2014, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 08:56 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I prefer going to Australia, cuz down there you call up the Holy Spirit.
What

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-03-2014, 09:05 PM
(30-03-2014 08:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I prefer going to Australia, cuz down there you call up the Holy Spirit.
What

Booooo....

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
31-03-2014, 01:29 PM
That's not very nice of god to give you carpet burns and memory loss! Facepalm Laugh out load

I have experienced a sense of euphoria, but that's about it.
But my denomination was also "old fashioned". Very against the showy charismatic type church services that were believed to be more of a competition of "who can be a better believer". It was believed that speaking in tongues was a real phenomenon, but should only be practiced in private since it served no real purpose other than "showing off how good a christian you were" when nobody understood what was said anyway. There was hands raised when singing, but nobody being knocked over by the holy spirit. Everybody was sitting calmly on their behinds or standing pretty calmly for singing. The holy spirit was supposed to act as a whisper, as something personal to you, not some big, dramatic show.
But I'm sure that had I been exposed to more severe mass hysteria more often, I'd have joined in and had funky brain behavior too Big Grin
Nothing to worry yourself over, it's nothing that's hard to explain.
31-03-2014, 01:59 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2014 02:06 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
SPAM

http://atheistforums.org/thread-24789.html

http://www.atheismuk.com/forum/?minglefo...ic&t=737.0

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop