Religious education in schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Religious education in schools
I get shocked when i hear that children in the U.S. and U.K. and the better off countries do not learn anything else other than the creationism theory as a part of science.Not because it is wrong not to learn about God but because religion is so much a part of Africans that even Atheists like me cannot shake it off.I would have killed to learn just that.All i had is religious education where where evolution was mentioned twice;as a creation theory and as a 'new evil'.

I,for instance cannot tell you any African story on religion but learnt the Bible from age 0,literally,most of you probably learnt the classic humpty dumpty,red riding hood and three little pigs before school.My earliest memory of a bedtime story was the story of Elijah,Joseph and Jacob...and that was before starting school.

Immediately anyone starts pre-school,the first things learnt are tha ABCs and counting but where i grew up(Kenya) we started by reciting 'memory verses' from the bible even before we learnt to read.I can actually remember one of the today.'Romans 6.23-For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is is eternal life through our lord,Jesus Christ'' These verses are implanted in your brain like a micro chip and you remember them as long as you live.

In elementary school,religion becomes a whole subject as serious as Maths,Science and English.You have to read whole books of the bible as homework(and punishment) and know the events by heart,for instance,ever since i was 10 years old i have known the history of all the Kings of Israel from Saul,Ishbaal,David,Solomon and Rehoboam to when Israel split,yet i have no idea how nor have any use for the information.

Anybody who has learnt religion in African high school,is a certified priest,reverend,bishop albeit pope.I learnt the most useless things about christianity for two years (thats when you are legally allowed to not to learn if you wish).I could interpret dreams from the bible,tell you what everything Jesus said means on both the surface and intelectual meaning and identify evils of the world and God's reaction to these evils.This is the point where you can 'judge people' and even be racist.I remember once my teacher told me we should ask for forgiveness for being black because it was a curse from Noah to one of his son as a punishment for accidentally seeing his junk.

I dont even want to get into what colleges learn.

In a way,i thank 'God' for giving me an opportunity to learn extensively about religion coz it then gave me a chance to dispute him.I can now argue with priests and though i am only 18 years,i can embarass them by giving them accurate facts of which they are misquoting.I actually read more about religions to be a better atheist and increase my non-faith.So let your kids learn about creationism,leave it to them to ask that one question we always ask before becoming atheists,let them say to themselves, ''REALLY?C'mon...''

Thank God i am an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Sirchrisnificent's post
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
RE: Religious education in schools
(04-06-2012 07:33 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  I get shocked when i hear that children in the U.S. and U.K. and the better off countries do not learn anything else other than the creationism theory as a part of science.Not because it is wrong not to learn about God but because religion is so much a part of Africans that even Atheists like me cannot shake it off.I would have killed to learn just that.All i had is religious education where where evolution was mentioned twice;as a creation theory and as a 'new evil'.

I,for instance cannot tell you any African story on religion but learnt the Bible from age 0,literally,most of you probably learnt the classic humpty dumpty,red riding hood and three little pigs before school.My earliest memory of a bedtime story was the story of Elijah,Joseph and Jacob...and that was before starting school.

Immediately anyone starts pre-school,the first things learnt are tha ABCs and counting but where i grew up(Kenya) we started by reciting 'memory verses' from the bible even before we learnt to read.I can actually remember one of the today.'Romans 6.23-For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is is eternal life through our lord,Jesus Christ'' These verses are implanted in your brain like a micro chip and you remember them as long as you live.

In elementary school,religion becomes a whole subject as serious as Maths,Science and English.You have to read whole books of the bible as homework(and punishment) and know the events by heart,for instance,ever since i was 10 years old i have known the history of all the Kings of Israel from Saul,Ishbaal,David,Solomon and Rehoboam to when Israel split,yet i have no idea how nor have any use for the information.

Anybody who has learnt religion in African high school,is a certified priest,reverend,bishop albeit pope.I learnt the most useless things about christianity for two years (thats when you are legally allowed to not to learn if you wish).I could interpret dreams from the bible,tell you what everything Jesus said means on both the surface and intelectual meaning and identify evils of the world and God's reaction to these evils.This is the point where you can 'judge people' and even be racist.I remember once my teacher told me we should ask for forgiveness for being black because it was a curse from Noah to one of his son as a punishment for accidentally seeing his junk.

I dont even want to get into what colleges learn.

In a way,i thank 'God' for giving me an opportunity to learn extensively about religion coz it then gave me a chance to dispute him.I can now argue with priests and though i am only 18 years,i can embarass them by giving them accurate facts of which they are misquoting.I actually read more about religions to be a better atheist and increase my non-faith.So let your kids learn about creationism,leave it to them to ask that one question we always ask before becoming atheists,let them say to themselves, ''REALLY?C'mon...''

Thank God i am an atheist.
Thanks for sharing. I have a feeling that South America has a similar level of religious indoctrination at the elementary/primary school level.

Scary stuff, because I think that you're the exception, not the rule.

Most kids can't helped but be sucked in by these constant barrage of indoctrination.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Holy Smokes dude Smile

I met a pastor from Kenya once. Nice guy. Sharp too.

Also Yaaaaaaaaaaay more Africans on the forum Smile Smile Smile Welcome.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Here in belgium we get religion classes in elementary schools without anyone telling us about an alternative. However that was in the 90's, I think religion classes in school now are more about having values and less about god. I watched national geographic at home alot when I was a kid so that's how I learned about the scientific theories like the big bang. I never believed in anything they told me and it seems not many did because I alot of people under 40 are atheists.

chan chan ki sikin aman
[+] 1 user Likes Crusher's post
04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
(04-06-2012 07:33 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  I get shocked when i hear that children in the U.S. and U.K. and the better off countries do not learn anything else other than the creationism theory as a part of science.Not because it is wrong not to learn about God but because religion is so much a part of Africans that even Atheists like me cannot shake it off.I would have killed to learn just that.All i had is religious education where where evolution was mentioned twice;as a creation theory and as a 'new evil'.
Never even heard the mention on Creationist theory in RE nor is it taught in science. Science is science and RE and RE. RE classes(well at my school) is really about values, morals, major world faiths and people like Gandhi, MLK etc. as inspirational people and less on 'God'. It's like being religion(what they believe) but without the God(actual God stuff).

I moved to the UK when I was 7 so I didn't really start school, I don't remember learning anything about religion or God in nursery or primary only learning the prayer.

Quote:The UK government has stated that "Neither intelligent design nor creationism are recognised scientific theories and they are not included in the science curriculum.
Quote:The Archbishop of Canterbury Dr Rowan Williams, leader of the Church of England, has expressed his view that creationism should not be taught in schools
I thinks its more of the 'faith-based' schools that teach creationism.

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
(04-06-2012 02:53 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I thinks its more of the 'faith-based' schools that teach creationism.
Correction: Myth-based schools

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
04-06-2012, 05:31 PM
In England Creationism isn't taught in science classrooms. It might just be schools that have control over their own education. Which are Christian based. But I haven't seen any school that does that. Thankfully Tongue

I think religious education is a good thing but it really needs to be expanded past Christianity. It's quite annoying. If you're going to teach people about religion then talk about all of them or at least the three main ones instead of just ignoring everything else apart from Christianity. And then refraining from encouraging criticism about it. What's the point in that? Theology at university wouldn't be a bunch of indoctrination would it? Obviously I'm not expecting 7 year olds to think extensively about such things but at least use that opportunity to encourage thinking.

I remember all that bible study stuff with the African priests lol it got really tedious. I never really paid attention however. It was really boring.

Teaching creationism as a valid alternative to evolution needs to be banned. Is it still possible to do that in America? I understand that religion has a much greater influence there.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
[+] 1 user Likes ALovelyChickenMan's post
04-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Interestingly enough I went to a Catholic school and was never taught creationism as a fact. it was big bang all the way.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
05-06-2012, 01:11 AM
(04-06-2012 08:49 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Interestingly enough I went to a Catholic school and was never taught creationism as a fact. it was big bang all the way.
I hope you're not talking about Father O'Flaherty behind the altar.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
05-06-2012, 02:37 AM
(05-06-2012 01:11 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 08:49 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Interestingly enough I went to a Catholic school and was never taught creationism as a fact. it was big bang all the way.
I hope you're not talking about Father O'Flaherty behind the altar.
with the candlestick No