Religious education in schools

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 05:08 AM
RE: Religious education in schools
(04-06-2012 07:33 AM)Sirchrisnificent Wrote:  I actually read more about religions to be a better atheist and increase my non-faith.
[Image: applause.gif]

Made me chuckle....... welcome to the forum Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
05-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Wait, are you saying that American schools teach Creationism?

If so, that is 100% false. Even religious private schools teach both Creationism and evolution; however, public schools do not teach Creationism as science.

Whoever told you this is severely misinformed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
05-06-2012, 03:02 PM
(05-06-2012 10:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Wait, are you saying that American schools teach Creationism?

If so, that is 100% false. Even religious private schools teach both Creationism and evolution; however, public schools do not teach Creationism as science.

Whoever told you this is severely misinformed.

You're correct KC...and when someone tries to pull ID into science class there has been a court battle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitzmiller_...l_District
PBS did a special in this as well.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
09-06-2012, 11:42 AM
(04-06-2012 03:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(04-06-2012 02:53 PM)tazmin98 Wrote:  I thinks its more of the 'faith-based' schools that teach creationism.
Correction: Myth-based schools
Thumbsup

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
09-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I started in Catholic schools in the 6th grade and I cannot recall a damn thing taught in the required religion classes although I attended through HS graduation.

I do remember having to learn funeral dirges in music class and being marched over to the church to sing at funeral masses.

Sometimes I think the main aspect regarding religion was that we were made to go to confession as a class, we had to go to in school masses, there was a chapel at the HS and we were taught by priests, brothers, and nuns, as well as some not in the clergy. I don't recall anything specific to creation or evolution in my biology class.

We were supposed to put 'JMJ' on the top of our homework and test papers...as in Jesus, Mary, and Joseph. I started late so I am not sure as to the why on that.

I remember two religion classes in HS, one was World Religions which I learned nothing from. The other was Towards Marriage, what a joke since it was taught by a priest. They would have the guidance counselor come in for one class, he was married and had a boatload of kids. Guess his appearance was supposed to make it more relevant. He talked about stuff like balancing a checkbook....not sure of the chapter and verse on that in the Bible.

I will never forget the all school mass we had in the gym when a girl in my class (who was and still is an idiot) did an interpretive dance to some hymn...which left all of us mystified.

The whole experience was a load of crap and no amount of begging would convince my parents to let me go to the public school a couple towns away. Before he died, dad said he wished he would have let me go there....40 years too late.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is Scotland anything religious stays in R.E or R.M.E as it is here. However, in R.M.E we never actually covered anything about Christianity in High School. We just watched films that had some kind of moral dilemma as part of the theme or some kind of philosophical theme.

[Image: opforum1.png]
09-06-2012, 01:33 PM
My daughter goes to a private school in Turkey... No religion what-so-ever. No conversations about it. Although the government is doing their best to weave religion into the private sector, my money is on the population that is secular - all the way down to the last lira.

'Creationism' is just another buzz word in our world. Just like Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Islam and so on... It's just another figurative 'square of toilet paper' that I will use to wipe the 'stain of life' from my backside. ...or not.

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
[+] 3 users Like arcticspear's post