Religious family members

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2012, 08:31 PM
RE: Religious family members
Absolutely zero to gain by debating her on this. Of course there is no actual God helping her but possibly the God in her head did. The mind is a wonderfully creative and complex thing that has the ability to heal itself.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2012, 08:45 PM
(14-03-2012 03:27 AM)ryanfox Wrote:  Again guys, thanks for the great input. As I said, I'm not demanding a thank you from her; one, because I'm not the only one who helped her through that time, and two, I don't help people for the recognition. I was just irritated because she straight up said "nothing you or anyone else did for me mattered; it was God." /facepalm

Kineo, I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I think that by congratulating her without mentioning religion in either sense, I said all I needed to-- that I think she's a determined human being who should be proud of herself, and if she or others don't care to think that way, that's fine. I think the risk factor outweighs the reward if I were to say anything more.

I would certainly be annoyed by the "nothing you or anyone else did for me mattered; it was God." myself, but I would probably not say anything.

If she finally found stability in her life after depression, then you mustn't ruin it. It doesn't matter if you think that it's silly of her to thank Jesus for it.

In the end your help probably mattered. Be proud of that, and stay strong. Wink
[+] 3 users Like Dust's post
15-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Really it seems like you need to decide if you care enough to cause a conflict. Would you rather be in your current situation with your family? Or the possible worst case scenario after talking to your cousin about it?
15-03-2012, 08:28 AM

"Choose your BATTLES wisely!"

What do YOU gain by a FB war? Nothing. It creates resentment, thats about it.

Simply be grateful that she no longer cuts and is harmful to herself regardless of who she chalks it up to (God, Xenu, Gwynnie).

I have a pal that's no longer Drinking and Driving cuz of Baby Jesus. Is EVERYONE around him within driving distance better off? You bet your sweet ass we are. One less drunken idiot to worry about.

Some people have a terrible time in life with this thing called "Personal Responsibility" and "Self Control" so they need an 'Invisible Mafia hitman with a loaded .38 special cocked and ready to fire' for them to be a contributing member of this society. Simply embrace that. If it makes them better, so be it.
If they try to CONVERT you and EVANGELIZE, thats when the Rules of Engagement changes. But on FB, all you are gonna get is a bunch of 'NON bible reading / god is good' types piling on and intentionally BURYING you and hi fiveing each other in the process. And ALL that will do is anger you more.

Its simply a war not worth waging.........

D
Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2012, 08:39 AM
(15-03-2012 08:28 AM)Denicio Wrote:  "Choose your BATTLES wisely!"

What do YOU gain by a FB war? Nothing. It creates resentment, thats about it.

Simply be grateful that she no longer cuts and is harmful to herself regardless of who she chalks it up to (God, Xenu, Gwynnie).

I have a pal that's no longer Drinking and Driving cuz of Baby Jesus. Is EVERYONE around him within driving distance better off? You bet your sweet ass we are. One less drunken idiot to worry about.

Some people have a terrible time in life with this thing called "Personal Responsibility" and "Self Control" so they need an 'Invisible Mafia hitman with a loaded .38 special cocked and ready to fire' for them to be a contributing member of this society. Simply embrace that. If it makes them better, so be it.
If they try to CONVERT you and EVANGELIZE, thats when the Rules of Engagement changes. But on FB, all you are gonna get is a bunch of 'NON bible reading / god is good' types piling on and intentionally BURYING you and hi fiveing each other in the process. And ALL that will do is anger you more.

Its simply a war not worth waging.........

D

Thank the Gwynnies you're back Denicio. You've been gone so long the lunatics were beginning to rise up.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-03-2012, 08:49 AM

(15-03-2012 08:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thank the Gwynnies you're back Denicio. You've been gone so long the lunatics were beginning to rise up.

Back in a somewhat limited capacity. Work has been insane! But also i'd just lurk around and see the posts and continue to see the SELF indulgence of certain Bat Shit Crazy posters here and ...well...take my own advise about choosing battles and stay out.

A couple of posts here i felt i could contribute to, so i did.

I never really left, i was just really quiet and invisible...like the Holy Ghost..only i am MUCH sexier!

In Charlize's Glorious name i pray,
Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post